How fast is too fast (to breathe)?

Old January 14th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Raptor

Default How fast is too fast (to breathe)?

How long does it take for the lungs to transfer "sufficient" or
"optimal" O2 and CO2 to/from the blood?

I watch people on TV climbing Everest and they don't seem to be
breathing very fast. When I ride at altitude (8000' plus) I take approx.
120 breaths/minute. It seems to work for me, but is much faster than
other riders/athletes. Am I just moving air without purpose?

--
Lynn Wallace

If FDR fought fascism the way Bush fights terrorism, we'd all be
speaking German now.
Old January 14th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

Raptor wrote:

How long does it take for the lungs to transfer "sufficient" or
"optimal" O2 and CO2 to/from the blood?

I watch people on TV climbing Everest and they don't seem to be
breathing very fast. When I ride at altitude (8000' plus) I take approx.
120 breaths/minute. It seems to work for me, but is much faster than
other riders/athletes. Am I just moving air without purpose?

Bird with talons,

O2/CO2 exchange is done mostly at the surface area of the lungs and
therefore likewise only at the surface area of any given breath volume
(not sure how deep the exchange dips into lung volume surface). I'm not
sure of the optimal rate vs. volume trade-off one should strive for to
keep their lung exchange most efficient.

My guess though is that you might be chasing a red herring. I think your
blood is the rate-limiting factor in circulating oxygen to the body, and
not the amount of O2 absorbed in the lungs.

So your question might only apply to someone who was on EPO or
transfusions.

You should get on a stationary bike and only breathe pure O2 (usually
available for free from your local rescue squad if you have your own O2
tank). This will tell you if lung exchange is the rate limiting factor.

If you don't perform better while breathing pure O2, then the rate
limiting factor is probably your blood O2 carrying capacity levels - and
they are likely saturated when breathing natural atmospheric air (21%
oxygen). In fact, I think the rate limiting factor might actually be
your ability to discharge CO2 and doesn't even have much to do with O2.
I think rate of breathing is controlled by C02 levels (blood acidity),
not O2.

This 100% O2 experiment would have to be a fairly controlled experiment
(VO2 max test) though with power meter readings, O2 tube in mouth,
nostrils taped shut...and done at maximal effort. It can be done for
like $250-$350 by someone like Josh Gold:

http://pushhard.com/physiology.html

If you don't perform much better with pure O2 (100% O2) than you do with
atmospheric air (21% O2), then it's your blood (or other things) that is
the rate-limiting factor and not your mechanical pulmonary exchange.

Magilla
Old January 16th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

You should get on a stationary bike and only breathe pure O2 (usually
available for free from your local rescue squad if you have your own O2
tank). This will tell you if lung exchange is the rate limiting factor.

Anybody out there taking this seriously, DON'T breath
pure O2, or even breath air fortified with O2. You will
kill yourself.

--
Michael Press
Old January 16th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

You should get on a stationary bike and only breathe pure O2 (usually
available for free from your local rescue squad if you have your own O2
tank). This will tell you if lung exchange is the rate limiting factor.

Anybody out there taking this seriously, DON'T breath
pure O2, or even breath air fortified with O2. You will
kill yourself.

dumbass,

i did actually breathe pure oxygen (as part of a NASA study), but it
was at low pressure.

a quick google produced this :

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question493.htm

"... astronauts in the Gemini and Apollo programs breathed 100-percent
oxygen at reduced pressure for up to two weeks with no problems. In
contrast, when 100-percent oxygen is breathed under high pressure
(above 3000 torr), acute oxygen poisoning can occur ..."

Old January 16th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
.com
,
" wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

You should get on a stationary bike and only breathe pure O2 (usually
available for free from your local rescue squad if you have your own O2
tank). This will tell you if lung exchange is the rate limiting factor.

Anybody out there taking this seriously, DON'T breath
pure O2, or even breath air fortified with O2. You will
kill yourself.

dumbass,

i did actually breathe pure oxygen (as part of a NASA study), but it
was at low pressure.

a quick google produced this :

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question493.htm

"... astronauts in the Gemini and Apollo programs breathed 100-percent
oxygen at reduced pressure for up to two weeks with no problems. In
contrast, when 100-percent oxygen is breathed under high pressure
(above 3000 torr), acute oxygen poisoning can occur ..."

Did not say it could not be done under elaborately
controlled conditions, with close medical monitoring,
and in full possession of all relevant knowledge.

--
Michael Press

How fast have you been... Mark Thompson UK 42 November 13th 06 02:50 PM
Fast guy pic Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 10 June 2nd 06 03:05 PM
How fast are they going? Hell and High Water Racing 7 March 21st 06 07:17 PM
Not Going Fast Now! ohboy Racing 0 December 28th 05 04:54 PM
How Fast can you Go? Mark Thompson UK 269 August 11th 04 06:28 AM