WTD: tires for "jim dandy" surrey

Old October 10th 08, 08:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
orange[_2_]

Default WTD: tires for "jim dandy" surrey

Hello,
I'm trying to restore my childhhod Surrey for my kids..

2) back tires 16 x 1 1/4"
2) front tires 12 x 1 1/4"

These tires are solid rubber and split..

I will replace the whole wheels if necessary..

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
greg

Old October 11th 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 10, 1:13*am, "orange" wrote:
Hello,
*I'm trying to restore my childhhod Surrey for my kids..

2) back tires * * 16 *x 1 1/4"
2) front tires * * *12 x *1 1/4"

These tires are solid rubber and split..

I will replace the whole wheels if necessary..

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
greg

Dear Greg,

One solution might be solid-rubber wire-core tiring, cut to fit and
soldered. It was popular in the 1880s for highwheelers and is still
used on them (as well as baby buggy wheels and wheelchairs).

These folks might be able to put you onto a supplier of cut-to-fit
solid-tiring for your wheels:

http://www.hiwheel.com/

They also sell modern surreys, but probably with pneumatic tires.

Unfortunately, the procedure for soldering wire-center tiring can be
daunting and it helps to have a hard-to-find special vise:

http://www.bikeroute.com/HiWheelers/HowMountTire.php

There's also corkscrew-wire solid-tiring, but it's much more expensive
and mainly for highwheeler enthusiasts.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old December 3rd 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Oct 10, 12:13*am, "orange" wrote:
Hello,
*I'm trying to restore my childhhod Surrey for my kids..

2) back tires * * 16 *x 1 1/4"
2) front tires * * *12 x *1 1/4"

These tires are solid rubber and split..

I will replace the whole wheels if necessary..

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
greg

We have a Jim Dandy surrey on craigslist.org in Denver CO. The back
tires are original and in good shape. The front tires are not
original. The canopy is original but not in the best of shape. We've
thought about restoring it, but haven't found the front wheels yet.
Take a look at it on craigslist.org in Denver and reply to the ad if
you'd like.