Isn't this getting ridiculous?

Old November 23rd 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Isn't this getting ridiculous?

On Nov 21, 9:02*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * " writes:

On Nov 21, 2:17=A0pm, nmp wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 21, 6:48=A0am, nmp wrote:

[..]

The bike we are talking about is marketed as an "Urban Assault
Vehicle", i.e. not a comfortable grocery getter. I think the name is
quite silly, but it does give a hint of a sturdy bicycle that will be
used for fast and agressive riding.

snip

That thing, urban assault? =A0When I think urban assault I think droppi=

ng
off walls, bombing down staircases, maybe stopping by the skate park.. =

=A0I
don't think that thing would last for 1 nigth of "urban assault".

I had no idea that silly phrase had such a specific meaning to anyone. In
my ears it is just a "cool" sounding marketing blurb. You know, that's
what marketing people do. Perhaps I was associating the title with some
sort of military vehicle. In the way one would expect the marketing
people to describe a bicycle as a "Leopard tank" or something.

Oh well.

I first heard it at a bike shop, and it was not something they sold,
it was something one of the shop guys had built. *He said something
like "this is my urban assault bike" and I said something like "wait,
your what?" *He then explained what he meant, and I said "oh. *I've
got a bike that would kinda work for that stuff, but it sounds more
like my city runs on the BMX". *He basically told me his was the adult
equivalent of a BMX. *I've since met quite a few people with "urban
assault" bikes, and they all have prettymuch the same definition.
Depending on who I'm going out on an "urban assault" with, I grab my
BMX or my hardtail MTB. *90% BMX, since I can=92t hurt that monster..

From what I can tell "urban assault" riding is, to everyone I know
that uses the term, what "street riding" is for BMXers only toned down
a couple notches and without the pegs. *Incidentally, the "urban
assault" guys tend to be amazed by pretty trivial BMX stuff, like
jumping 1/2 way down a flight of stairs and riding the rest out or peg
stalls. *I've tried convincing many of them that the stair jump would
be much easier with their bigger wheels, but as of yet nobody has said
"oh, that makes sense" and gone for it. *Spending some time at skate
parks and thinking back on the better kids I used to BMX with, I've
yet to be impressed by anyone's "urban assault" riding.

Come to think of it, "urban assault" might just be "riding street" for
people who are no good on the 20", and don't care or don=92t have the
ability to learn. *Not that I=92m very good on a 20=94, but I can
certainly do a whole lot more than the =93urban assault=94 guys I know.
Reflecting on the amount of stitches and broken bones I got acquiring
my mediocre-at-best 20=94 street riding skill level, I suppose I can see
why grown adults would prefer an =93urban assault=94 than the 20=94 street
riding learning curve.

The first time I heard (or rather, read) the phrase:
"Urban Assault Vehicle" was around '96/'97, in a
Trek catalog. *Words like "grind" or "shred" weren't
used. *It was just implied the bike would do all that
stuff for you, and all you've gotta do is buy the bike
and look like the guy in the glossy photos.

If you wanna see some really superb Street, look up
Chris (Kris?) Holm, if you're not already aware of
him -- chances are, you indeed are.

But anyway, he's renowned for his off-road freeride antics,
but his Street and Flatland stylings are simply astounding.
And he does it all on a unicycle. *Maybe unicycles are the
paradigm of Urban Assault Vehicles.

cheers,
* * * * Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

You're correct on all counts. I am familiar, and he is nasty. Some
of that uni stuff is pretty sick. Personally I like bikes with 2
wheels, even if I'm only using 1 at a time.
Old November 24th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Chalo wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:

nmp wrote:

Dane Buson wrote:

I'm assuming it's the Large Marge / Endomorph stuff from Surly:

http://surlybikes.com/parts/largemar...m/pugsley.html

Nope. Olli says the rims are by Rigida. They might be motorcycle
parts; they sure look it and I'd not be surprised to find that
20" (ISO 507) is an available M/C rim size.

I suppose that's what I get for only glancing at the page.

The tires are 24 x 3" (75-507) Nokian Gazzaloddis-- I had my own
custom MTB frame designed with the 26 x 3" size in mind, long before
Endomorph was even a gleam in his obese daddy's eye. Gazzaloddis are
_much_ knobbier, stiffer, and heavier than Endomorphs. They were
designed for downhill MTB racing. They are a bitch to mount and
frankly, a bitch to ride on too.

Appropriately stupid-wide rims that make Large Marge look svelte are
available he

http://www.choppersus.com/store/cate.../71/Rims-Only/

So other than riding on sand and snow and riding straight *up* curbs,
what's the appeal of the ludicrously wide tires? I mean, I'm sure some
people are doing the things I mentioned, but is the rest a style thing?

--
Dane Buson -
If you don't have a nasty obituary you probably didn't matter.
Old November 24th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Chalo wrote:
wrote:

Too short cutsteer tube so the handlebars willbe too low. *$1000 for
an urban cruiser?

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

Then mentally add BMX bars, man. It would look much more badass that
way anyway.

I'd go fredlier and put butterfly touring bars or something. Though if
I was going for badass I'd probably put on a pair of H-bars. They're
functional, but look a bit different and kind of stand out. A quick
search only shows Jonesbikes' version (at $500). I'm pretty sure I saw
some elsewhere for *much* cheaper.

--
Dane Buson -
"Never hit a man with glasses; hit him with your fist."
Old November 24th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Nov 24, 2:39*pm, Dane Buson wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:

http://surlybikes.com/parts/largemar...urlybikes.com/....

[...]

The only reasons I've heard people using them is for snow and sand.
Since I spend quite a bit of time around both, I wouldn't mind one -
but those are the only things I'd use it for.
Old November 24th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Dane Buson wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Appropriately stupid-wide rims that make Large Marge look svelte are
available he

http://www.choppersus.com/store/cate.../71/Rims-Only/

So other than riding on sand and snow and riding straight *up* curbs,
what's the appeal of the ludicrously wide tires? *

It's the simplest suspension ever. I use 26 x 3" tires on my MTB for
that reason.

Fat tires tolerate high weights better than narrower tires.

Fat tires offer much better traction on any surface than narrower
tires inflated to offer the same ride firmness.

Fat tires have less rolling resistance at a given pressure than
narrower tires of equal construction. (They also have a harder ride
at the same pressure.)

They don't sink into soft surfaces (as you point out), but they also
are much gentler than narrow tires on damage-prone surfaces like
grass.

Fat tires are just plain fun and bouncy.

I mean, I'm sure some
people are doing the things I mentioned, but is the rest a style thing?

At choppersus.com? I would expect so.

Chalo
Old November 25th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:09:16 -0800, DennisTheBald wrote:

I don't think the coffee cup is the big draw... It's the belt and the
roller brakes. They just killed my two biggest maintenance tasks. I
guess I'll spend the recovered time drinking coffee (or tea - does it
really take a different cup?)

The belt? really? Surely they could have gone a bit more conventional
and used a regular chain with a full chaincase. Not so impressive, yeah,
but I imagine cheaper.

I really need to build/buy a bike with a full chain-case. Of course, I
should get rid of some of the crud in my garage first. And finish a
couple other bike projects...

I'd just as soon get a Flying Pigeon and rebuild the rear wheel to take a
sturmey-archer AWC 3-speed coaster-brake hub.

For Seattle I'd probably substitute the SA 8 speed. It would probably
make a suitable 'guest bike' then.

--
Dane Buson -
"The chief obstacle to the progress of the human race
Old November 25th 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dennis Ferguson

On 2008-11-24, Dane Buson wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:
"I wish I was in Tiajuana
eating barbqued iguana ..."

I've often wondered how that would taste...

I've eaten it curried (that's what happens when you spend
time in Mexico with people from the West Indies). It has
a lot on bones but is pretty tasty.

Dennis Ferguson
Old November 25th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Nov 24, 5:59*pm, Dane Buson wrote:
Awwww, the winter's not so bad. *But it does cut into the picnic with a
blanket sort of dates, which has been vexing me. *

It doesn't have to. Many a woman will enjoy the hike through the snow
to a scenic vista, a fire, a bottle of something nice to drink and a
snack. It's yet to snow here this season, but I find that routine to
be a relaxing escape from the norm, as have some of my dates. The
hike, the clear skies of a winter night (seems there are more stars
and you can see farther), the views from a nice overlook, scavenging
for dry wood, and staying close by the fire - it all makes for quite
the evening. Rivals summer in some ways, although I wouldn't trade
summer for winter by any means. Bring trash bags to lay out under the
blankets to keep them dry, and plan on a couple layers of blanket so
the cold doesn't penetrate right through. One of those U-haul
furniture moving blankets makes a good base layer over the trash bags,
and is nice and compact to pack up. A soft warm blanket over that and
you're set.

Building the fire. Hard to tell but right past me is the drop off the
side of the mountain. Killer view, but we couldn't get it with the
camera.
http://tinyurl.com/56b2q9

Fire
http://tinyurl.com/64r3b8

More Fire
http://tinyurl.com/5s3jnd

ridiculous conditions Andre Racing 9 August 7th 08 01:00 PM
Chapman: One Of Many Ridiculous Statements Nuxx Bar UK 18 July 31st 08 03:04 AM
Most ridiculous saddle ever? Gooserider General 13 December 12th 06 10:59 PM
way past ridiculous andy gee General 38 October 1st 05 02:28 AM
It's udderly ridiculous! Just zis Guy, you know? UK 2 April 22nd 05 08:15 PM