Isn't this getting ridiculous?

Old November 25th 08, 07:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

Default Isn't this getting ridiculous?

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:04:23 -0800, Dane Buson wrote:

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:09:16 -0800, DennisTheBald wrote:

I don't think the coffee cup is the big draw... It's the belt and the
roller brakes. They just killed my two biggest maintenance tasks. I
guess I'll spend the recovered time drinking coffee (or tea - does it
really take a different cup?)

The belt? really? Surely they could have gone a bit more conventional
and used a regular chain with a full chaincase. Not so impressive,
yeah, but I imagine cheaper.

I really need to build/buy a bike with a full chain-case. Of course, I
should get rid of some of the crud in my garage first. And finish a
couple other bike projects...

I'd just as soon get a Flying Pigeon and rebuild the rear wheel to take
a sturmey-archer AWC 3-speed coaster-brake hub.

For Seattle I'd probably substitute the SA 8 speed. It would probably
make a suitable 'guest bike' then.

you *do* know that the LOW gear on the S-A 8 speed is direct drive,
right?

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

Old November 25th 08, 07:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

I'd just as soon get a Flying Pigeon and rebuild the rear wheel to take
a sturmey-archer AWC 3-speed coaster-brake hub.

For Seattle I'd probably substitute the SA 8 speed. It would probably
make a suitable 'guest bike' then.

you *do* know that the LOW gear on the S-A 8 speed is direct drive,
right?

Hmmm, now that you mention it, I do recall reading something like that.
Maybe a SRAM 7 speed then. IIRC the middle gear is direct drive on
that.

--
Dane Buson -
PHB: "According to M$ Project, your utilization level is 1850%."
Old November 25th 08, 07:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

wrote:
On Nov 24, 5:59*pm, Dane Buson wrote:
Awwww, the winter's not so bad. *But it does cut into the picnic with a
blanket sort of dates, which has been vexing me. *

It doesn't have to. Many a woman will enjoy the hike through the snow
to a scenic vista, a fire, a bottle of something nice to drink and a
snack. It's yet to snow here this season, but I find that routine to
be a relaxing escape from the norm, as have some of my dates. The
hike, the clear skies of a winter night (seems there are more stars
and you can see farther), the views from a nice overlook, scavenging
for dry wood, and staying close by the fire - it all makes for quite
the evening. Rivals summer in some ways, although I wouldn't trade
summer for winter by any means. Bring trash bags to lay out under the
blankets to keep them dry, and plan on a couple layers of blanket so
the cold doesn't penetrate right through. One of those U-haul
furniture moving blankets makes a good base layer over the trash bags,
and is nice and compact to pack up. A soft warm blanket over that and
you're set.

/me takes notes

I actually know a number of good spots in the city for a fire. My elite
bicycle hobo brethren make a practice of building a fire whenever we can
find an excuse to. I'm not sure how many are romantic, I'll have to
give it some consideration.

Building the fire. Hard to tell but right past me is the drop off the
side of the mountain. Killer view, but we couldn't get it with the
camera.
http://tinyurl.com/56b2q9

Fire
http://tinyurl.com/64r3b8

More Fire
http://tinyurl.com/5s3jnd

*cough* Among other earthly delights in the album.

/grin

--
Dane Buson -
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of
Old November 25th 08, 07:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Sherman wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:
[...]
I really need to build/buy a bike with a full chain-case. Of course, I
should get rid of some of the crud in my garage first. And finish a
couple other bike projects...
[...]

When you feel your garage is too cluttered with bike stuff, take a look
at these:
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/Mvc-035s.jpg,
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/Mvc-040s.jpg,
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/Mvc-037s.jpg,
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/Mvc-038s.jpg,
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/Mvc-039s.jpg,
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/Mvc-036s.jpg.

Hey, just because someone is *loonier* than I am, doesn't make my
afflication less severe. It just means they'll point and make sidelong
glances and comments about him first. Besides I know plenty of people
who are worse than me, some delightfully so.

I do congratulate him on his optimization of packing fractions though.

--
Dane Buson -
Arithmetic:
Old November 25th 08, 07:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

On 2008-11-24, Dane Buson wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:
"I wish I was in Tiajuana
eating barbqued iguana ..."

I've often wondered how that would taste...

I've eaten it curried (that's what happens when you spend
time in Mexico with people from the West Indies). It has
a lot on bones but is pretty tasty.

I really do need to get a passport now that border rules have become
sillier.

/sigh

--
Dane Buson -
"Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact that a
Old November 25th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Nov 25, 2:29*am, Dane Buson wrote:
wrote:
[...]

A half decent view and some privacy are all you need. Not sure what
city you're in, but maybe you could catch a train out of the city and
closer to a more rural area if you can't pull it off in the city?

Building the fire. *Hard to tell but right past me is the drop off the
side of the mountain. *Killer view, but we couldn't get it with the
camera.
http://tinyurl.com/56b2q9

Fire
http://tinyurl.com/64r3b8

More Fire
http://tinyurl.com/5s3jnd

*cough* *Among other earthly delights in the album.

/grin

Oops... lmao. That folder is labeled "private", and is not supposed
to show up except by direct link. I didn't think that by linking to
one or two pics it would allow others to see the entire album.
Whoops
Old November 26th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Dane Buson writes:

"I wish I was in Tiajuana
eating barbqued iguana ..."

I've often wondered how that would taste...

I've heard that rattlesnake tastes somewhat like
chicken. So I figure iguana probably tastes
like rattlesnake.

Actually I'd rather be in Katmandu, eating
something-or-other vindaloo. Or anything with
masala gravy on it. Or be in Jakarta, sinking
dark-&-stormies. Anything to escape the
upcoming bleak months. I /so/ detest winter.

Awwww, the winter's not so bad. But it does cut into the picnic with a
blanket sort of dates, which has been vexing me.

I hate freezing my goods off.

Waiting for the bus to work at 5:30 AM in winter weather
is not my favourite passtime. Alas, my workplace is now
too far for cycle-commuting to be viable, and the public
transit is just a shade too convenient for multi-modal
commuting.

My monthly public transit fare passes cost me $136.oo/month,
and I feel compelled to squeeze every last drop of value out
of them. Even though I'm told I can submit them at tax return
time for a full rebate. Nevertheless I miss the warmth
provided by winter cycle-commuting. When I've had jobs
to which I could cycle-commute, I've marveled at observing
shivering cow-orkers huddling around space heaters in their
offices or cubicles when they arrive at work, and being
reluctant to doff their outdoor clothing.

Also, mmmmmm, vindaloo.

At least winter's a good time for comfort food.
I'd like to concoct a pheasant vindaloo some time.

My local vindaloo provider always asks me: "Spicy,
or not so spicy?" I say: "Spicy." He always gives
me not-so-spicy anyway. I guess it's like that woman
at Pita House, who won't give me a Halifax donair,
because she thinks I wouldn't like it. And that
waitress at now-defunct Reuben's on Granville St,
who'd always bring me what she thought I needed,
instead of what I ordered.

It's nice, having people saving me from myself.

I suppose.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old November 26th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
" writes:
On Nov 24, 5:59*pm, Dane Buson wrote:
Awwww, the winter's not so bad. *But it does cut into the picnic with a
blanket sort of dates, which has been vexing me. *

It doesn't have to. Many a woman will enjoy the hike through the snow
to a scenic vista, a fire, a bottle of something nice to drink and a
snack. It's yet to snow here this season, but I find that routine to
be a relaxing escape from the norm, as have some of my dates.

What's snow?

We get mud, puddles, and mud-puddles here.
Sometimes they're enormous and partially frozen.
They like to accumulate adjacent to bus stops,
so passing car drivers can merrily speed through
them and splash them onto folks waiting for the bus.

You just can't happily picnic in the midst of a
partially frozen body of water, unless you're
a narwhal or sumpthin'.

cheers,
Tom

Old November 26th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_3_]

Dane Buson wrote:
[...]
I really need to build/buy a bike with a full chain-case. Of course, I
should get rid of some of the crud in my garage first. And finish a
couple other bike projects...
[...]

When you feel your garage is too cluttered with bike stuff, take a look
at these:
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/Mvc-035s.jpg,
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/Mvc-040s.jpg,
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/Mvc-037s.jpg,
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/Mvc-038s.jpg,
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/Mvc-039s.jpg,
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/Mvc-036s.jpg.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

ridiculous conditions Andre Racing 9 August 7th 08 01:00 PM
Chapman: One Of Many Ridiculous Statements Nuxx Bar UK 18 July 31st 08 03:04 AM
Most ridiculous saddle ever? Gooserider General 13 December 12th 06 09:59 PM
way past ridiculous andy gee General 38 October 1st 05 02:28 AM
It's udderly ridiculous! Just zis Guy, you know? UK 2 April 22nd 05 08:15 PM