Isn't this getting ridiculous?

Old November 26th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Isn't this getting ridiculous?

On Nov 25, 9:50 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
" writes:

On Nov 24, 5:59 pm, Dane Buson wrote:
Awwww, the winter's not so bad. But it does cut into the picnic with a
blanket sort of dates, which has been vexing me.

It doesn't have to. Many a woman will enjoy the hike through the snow
to a scenic vista, a fire, a bottle of something nice to drink and a
snack. It's yet to snow here this season, but I find that routine to
be a relaxing escape from the norm, as have some of my dates.

What's snow?

At first assessment, it appears to be a cruel joke played by Mother
Nature. It’s cold, wet, and has the ability to stick around far
longer than rain. Upon further investigation it turns out that while
it is still cold, wet, sometimes miserable and almost certainly a
cruel joke by Mother Nature, it does have a few advantages. If
properly prepared for it (I believe the best preparation is plane
tickets to Jamaica, but proper clothing, drink and fire can work in a
budget or scheduling pinch – I’ve yet to try the Jamaica routine as I
routinely live in both said pinches) it’s not so bad. It’s fun to
drive in, especially with RWD, gives campfires and bonfires an extra
nice edge, encourages the sharing of body heat and can be fun to ride
in as well. I hear there are some spots designed especially for it,
such as cold weather versions of water skiing and wakeboarding, in
which the boat is replaces by a hill, but that’s a little too nuts for
me. I’ll happily hike up the other side of the same hill, build a
fire in the snow, and enjoy a picnic. All the while calling _them_
crazy.

We get mud, puddles, and mud-puddles here.
Sometimes they're enormous and partially frozen.
They like to accumulate adjacent to bus stops,
so passing car drivers can merrily speed through
them and splash them onto folks waiting for the bus.

Sounds like fun! We get sand/salt/slush puddles here from the towns
employees trying to take the fun out of driving in the snow. Same end
result.

You just can't happily picnic in the midst of a
partially frozen body of water, unless you're
a narwhal or sumpthin'.

Note to self: continue to check rbt with morning coffee. Any morning
that starts off laughing out loud is a good one, and this is the
second day in a row rbt has brought me such enjoyment. That said, I
must be a narwhal or sumpthin’, although I don’t think some dates
who’ve enjoyed said picnics with me would appreciate the
classification. We’ll just file them under “or sumpthin’” and not
tell them about it.
Old November 26th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Dane Buson wrote:

Ah, I might have to see if the Sports Authority near me stocks it. It
looks like it might be suitable. I never use my cage for water bottles
(for the most part), so it's not like I need a great one.

Here it is as well: "http://tinyurl.com/5wh8l8"

You might want to straighten the top part out with a mallet.

These are good cages for carrying wine. For wine, note that there are
now many higher quality wines that use screw tops; screw tops aren't
just for jug wine. So for drinking wine while riding, select a good
Merlot or Cabernet with a screw top. If you're a Mac user, or ride an
aluminum framed bicycle, then choose a white wine with a screw top.
Old November 26th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Nov 26, 9:00*am, SMS wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:
Ah, I might have to see if the Sports Authority near me stocks it. *It
looks like it might be suitable. *I never use my cage for water bottles
(for the most part), so it's not like I need a great one. *

Here it is as well: "http://tinyurl.com/5wh8l8"

You might want to straighten the top part out with a mallet.

These are good cages for carrying wine. For wine, note that there are
now many higher quality wines that use screw tops; screw tops aren't
just for jug wine. So for drinking wine while riding, select a good
Merlot or Cabernet with a screw top. If you're a Mac user, or ride an
aluminum framed bicycle, then choose a white wine with a screw top.

Last summer (or maybe the summer before) I was amazed by a decent wine
that actually came in a foldable box type container. It wasn't a $300
label, but it wasn't a $5 gallon box o' wine. A Sauvignon Blanc
IIRC. 750ml box, fit handily in a backpack without worries of
breaking, and folded up as you drank part or all of it, for even
easier packing out. It became the go-to wine for hiking, taking the
inflatable to the islands, kayaking, etc. for the lady & I. Shame
they haven’t done that with a decent scotch yet.
Old November 26th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Paul M. Hobson wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:

I'm dead smack in the middle of Seattle. Though if I was taking a train
out of town, I'd be more likely to just end up in Portland.

I'd grab a beer with ya

Well I'm flattered but I normally like my dates with less Y chromosomes.
;-)

Are you in Oregon now? I thought you were still east and south of the
Mason-Dixon line.

Also, feel free to get a hold of me if you're ever near Seattle. If
you're out on a Thursday, I'll find you a loaner bike and drag you all
over the city with point83.

--
Dane Buson -
You should emulate your heros, but don't carry it too far.
Old November 26th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Dane Buson writes:

"I wish I was in Tiajuana
eating barbqued iguana ..."

I've often wondered how that would taste...

I've heard that rattlesnake tastes somewhat like
chicken. So I figure iguana probably tastes
like rattlesnake.

"To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."

Awwww, the winter's not so bad. But it does cut into the picnic with a
blanket sort of dates, which has been vexing me.

I hate freezing my goods off.

I get cold more easily than I used to, but I still prefer freezing to
frying personally. All that said, some days when I squelch in from a
soaking ride in just above freezing temperatures I go "Man what was I
thinking?" Though usually I answer "Oh yeah, driving to work sucks."

Also, mmmmmm, vindaloo.

At least winter's a good time for comfort food.
I'd like to concoct a pheasant vindaloo some time.

That might be interesting. I mostly end up cooking chana masala, maybe
throwing in some chicken. Though I have a really good Gujarat egg curry
that I'm probably overdue for making again. Eggs, tomatoes, some spices
and not much else. It's so good on some nice naan.

My local vindaloo provider always asks me: "Spicy,
or not so spicy?" I say: "Spicy." He always gives
me not-so-spicy anyway. I guess it's like that woman
at Pita House, who won't give me a Halifax donair,
because she thinks I wouldn't like it. And that
waitress at now-defunct Reuben's on Granville St,
who'd always bring me what she thought I needed,
instead of what I ordered.

Much like the Chinese ladies who were surprised and asked me if I really
wanted 'that' when I ordered Mapo Dofu and Chou Dofu [1].

It's nice, having people saving me from myself.

I suppose.

Well, in their defense, most people are severely deficient of clue. So
they probably do need saving from themselves. OTOH, if you're a repeat
customer, they should probably figure out you know what you want.

[1] Stinky Tofu - not something Anglos order often I guess.

--
Dane Buson -
Somewhere, there was a rich vein of power in OS/2... But no easy way to tap it.
Old November 26th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

SMS wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:

Ah, I might have to see if the Sports Authority near me stocks it. It
looks like it might be suitable. I never use my cage for water bottles
(for the most part), so it's not like I need a great one.

Here it is as well: "http://tinyurl.com/5wh8l8"

You might want to straighten the top part out with a mallet.

Good point, it's not necessry to have that lip since I wouldn't be using
it for bike bottles.

These are good cages for carrying wine. For wine, note that there are
now many higher quality wines that use screw tops; screw tops aren't
just for jug wine. So for drinking wine while riding, select a good
Merlot or Cabernet with a screw top. If you're a Mac user, or ride an
aluminum framed bicycle, then choose a white wine with a screw top.

I'm fine with screwtops, but my usual table wines are all (synthetic)
cork sealed. Not that that's really an obstacle. I generally prefer a
Shiraz to Merlots or Cabernet though.

As for Macs, I might have to stoop to buying one since the child
processes school encourages their use.

--
Dane Buson -
"Since the perception of confidence and decisiveness is much more important
Old November 26th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

wrote:
On Nov 26, 9:00*am, SMS wrote:

These are good cages for carrying wine. For wine, note that there are
now many higher quality wines that use screw tops; screw tops aren't
just for jug wine. So for drinking wine while riding, select a good
Merlot or Cabernet with a screw top. If you're a Mac user, or ride an
aluminum framed bicycle, then choose a white wine with a screw top.

Last summer (or maybe the summer before) I was amazed by a decent wine
that actually came in a foldable box type container. It wasn't a $300
label, but it wasn't a $5 gallon box o' wine. A Sauvignon Blanc
IIRC. 750ml box, fit handily in a backpack without worries of
breaking, and folded up as you drank part or all of it, for even
easier packing out. It became the go-to wine for hiking, taking the
inflatable to the islands, kayaking, etc. for the lady & I. Shame
they haven???t done that with a decent scotch yet.

The higher alcohol content in hard alcohol tends to draw out 'plasticy'
tastes more than other liquids do, so the same bladder material probably
wouldn't work that well. I'm sure it's doable with some sort
of nano-age plastic wonder-material.

--
Dane Buson -

"It's good for young people to be angry about something."
-Former President Bill Clinton, after he was egged in Poland
Old November 26th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Nov 26, 1:17*pm, Dane Buson wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 26, 9:00*am, SMS wrote:

[...]

-Former President Bill Clinton, after he was egged in Poland- Hide quoted text -

Good point. Until then, the trusty flasks will have to remain the
standard. On that note, avoid putting anything sugary (i.e. schnopps,
even if 100 proof) in those things. The tiny hole makes cleaning them
a nightmare. A good scotch, however, almost seems to serve as it's
own cleaning agent. Some hot water, touch of soap, rinse and it's
like new.
Old November 26th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Dane Buson wrote:

I'm fine with screwtops, but my usual table wines are all (synthetic)
cork sealed. Not that that's really an obstacle. I generally prefer a
Shiraz to Merlots or Cabernet though.

Well you want to transfer it to a water bottle anyway. Use one of the
one's from Soma Fabrications that don't add plastic flavor.
"http://www.somafab.com/bottle.html"

But don't drink and drive. You might hit a bump and spill your drink.

As for Macs, I might have to stoop to buying one since the child
processes school encourages their use.

Heh, same here. It would be politically incorrect for the schools in my
district to not use Apple's. My daughter's middles school was about a 30
second walk from Apple's HQ. When they were naming the school, I thought
that maybe if they named it after Jobs they could get a better discount
on computers, but the naming committee didn't like my idea. At least
they didn't name it after Reagan, as one committee member proposed.

ridiculous conditions Andre Racing 9 August 7th 08 01:00 PM
Chapman: One Of Many Ridiculous Statements Nuxx Bar UK 18 July 31st 08 03:04 AM
Most ridiculous saddle ever? Gooserider General 13 December 12th 06 09:59 PM
way past ridiculous andy gee General 38 October 1st 05 02:28 AM
It's udderly ridiculous! Just zis Guy, you know? UK 2 April 22nd 05 08:15 PM