Best Way To Carry Pepper Spray ?

Old November 29th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Sr.

Default Best Way To Carry Pepper Spray ?

Hello,

I hope that all of you had a happy Thanksgiving and got a chance to
ride off some of the excess!

Do any of you have any suggestions on a good way to carry pepper spray
to be used against vicious canines? I have recently started carrying
some to use against a problem dog on my lunch time ride. Since I know
where the dog is I have been carrying the pepper spray in my pocket
and taking it out before I get to where the dog might be loose.

Carrying the pepper spray in a pocket is not a good place if traveling
in unfamiliar areas. It needs to be carried somewhere it is
immediately accessible near the handlebars. Can any of you offer
suggestions as to holsters or other methods of carrying pepper spray.

Next question... What do you do about a dog that has been hit point
blank with pepper spray about 3-4 times by myself or co-worker yet
still continues to try to attack the next day? The dog is a female pit
bull who immediately breaks off the attack when hit with the pepper
spray but will come back for more the next day. Unfortunately, this
dog is smart enough not to get hit by traffic yet dumb enough keep
getting pepper sprayed.

Thanks,

Steve
Old November 29th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX[_2_]

Steve Sr. wrote:
::
:: Do any of you have any suggestions on a good way to carry pepper
:: spray to be used against vicious canines? I have recently started
:: carrying some to use against a problem dog on my lunch time ride.
:: Since I know where the dog is I have been carrying the pepper spray
:: in my pocket and taking it out before I get to where the dog might
:: be loose.

My pepper spray canister came with a velcro band that goes around a bike
tube. I put mine on the top tube. There is a velcro patch on the canister as
well. You could make a strap and use the iron-on velcro to secure that to
the strap. Strangely enough, since I bought the pepper spray, all I have
ever needed to do was wield my water bottle as if it were a rock. Grab the
bottle and put it near your ear and shake it as if you are going to throw a
fastball. It seems all dogs know this action and will shy away instantly.
At first, I thought, "Oh great, if I throw it, I lose a $10 water bottle!"
but I have never had to go ahead and fling it. shrug whatever works....

: Next question... What do you do about a dog that has been hit point
:: blank with pepper spray about 3-4 times by myself or co-worker yet
:: still continues to try to attack the next day? The dog is a female
:: pit bull who immediately breaks off the attack when hit with the
:: pepper spray but will come back for more the next day.
:: Unfortunately, this dog is smart enough not to get hit by traffic
:: yet dumb enough keep getting pepper sprayed.

Steve, this dog needs to be reported to the authorities. It is just a matter
of time before someone gets mauled.

Pat in TX

Old November 29th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Steve Sr. writes:

Next question... What do you do about a dog that has been hit point
blank with pepper spray about 3-4 times by myself or co-worker yet
still continues to try to attack the next day? The dog is a female pit
bull who immediately breaks off the attack when hit with the pepper
spray but will come back for more the next day. Unfortunately, this
dog is smart enough not to get hit by traffic yet dumb enough keep
getting pepper sprayed.

Drop a MilkBone biscuit for Puppy. If possible, one
with a thick wad of peanut butter plastered onto it.

That oughta keep her busy for a while. I haven't
met the pooch yet who could resist the temptation
of free peanut butter, despite its sticky, gooey,
lingual/palatal consequences.

If all goes well, she gets her trophy, you get
to escape, and everybody's happy.

Except she'll routinely expect her special MilkBone
from you everytime you ride by. Maybe the both of
you will attain friendly, if not at least mutual
terms. Sounds like the Protection racket, doesn't
it? :-)

If you're dead-set on going the pepper spray route
(even though it heretofore obviously hasn't worked,)
maybe arrange a system where it shoots out the soles
of your shoes. That way it's more likely to get right
into Puppy's face, and you don't have to aim downward
and backward while trying to speedily propel a
bicycle forward.

I have a strong hunch that scents like Chanel No 5
or Revlon's "Charlie" would be more effective than
pepper spray for repelling canines. I figure animules
who like to roll around in manure & rotten fish guts
must absolutely hate to smell pretty -- such predatory
techniques as smelling pretty seem to work only for
human females.

Too much patchouli seems to repel everything.
And it's very easy to attain too much patchouli.

Pepper spray isn't the only weapon in the arsenal.
But weapons are to be invoked only after reasonable
means & enticements have been shown to be ineffective.

Nothing gets a dog all distracted & obsessed like
peanut butter. Or in some cases, ice cream.
But it's usually logistically difficult to pack
defensive ice cream on a bicycle.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old November 29th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 19:56:14 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

Pepper spray isn't the only weapon in the arsenal. But weapons are to be
invoked only after reasonable means & enticements have been shown to be
ineffective.

Nothing gets a dog all distracted & obsessed like peanut butter. Or in
some cases, ice cream. But it's usually logistically difficult to pack
defensive ice cream on a bicycle.

By dropping treats from a bicycle, aren't you training the dog to chase
other cyclists? The dog chases a cyclist. The dog gets a treat. Surely
after enough positive reinforcement, the dog learns a new trick.

--Luigi

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

Old November 29th 08, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Jim

I was " grabbed " by a dog two weeks ago. It was standing kinda harmless
in the road, I passed it, then it spun, snarled and tried to take a bite
of my leg. Luckily it didn't get a good hold, but it did rip my pant leg
and cause some bruising.

Next day I bought some pepper ( or whatever it is ) spray, and velcroed
it to my handlebar.

tic tic, a week passes.

Yesterday I was out riding with my brother, he in the lead, when a
rather big, I'd guess 70 or 80 lb, dog came at him at a full run from
behind a building. I saw it, yelled some warning and he stood up on the
pedals just in time for the dog to miss his leg and slam into the rear
wheel and derailer. The wheel " taco-ed " and the derailer snagged in
the spokes breaking itself to bits.

The dog rolled, turned, and came at me. I was trying to get the stupid
can of spray off the bars and where I could use it, and finally did, but
with way too much difficulty. The dog circled me, but didn't attack. It
eventually ran off, but watched us from a distance. This was in mildly
hilly farm country, and our concern was getting away and home. Brothers
bike was unrideable. He carried it home.

What I took away from this it that the spray needs to be really easy to
get to and use. Yesterdays attack only lasted a few seconds, and I
didn't have time to stop the bike and use the spray. Unless it had been
in my hand already, there just wasn't enough time or warning.

Interesting this came up. I really need to rethink how to carry the
stuff.

The other thing is I think maybe a thing to do would be to dismount the
bike ( quickly ) on whatever side the dog wasn't, and use it as a
shield, possibly buying time to get the spray in hand. In both of my
recent dog encounters, I couldn't have outrun the dog, so pedaling away
wasn't an option, I might as well stop.

I'm considering a velro pad on my jacket front and around the spray can.
I'll stick the can to my chest area or shoulder or sleeve.

jim d
Old November 29th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On Nov 28, 10:27*pm, Jim wrote:
[...]

I'll bet that if you STOP pedaling, point your finger at the dog and
scream NO as loudly as you can, it'll have the same effect as the
pepper spray would.

Failing that you could shoot the owner, kidnap the dog and take it
home with you. Then, when you go for a ride, Fido will be safe and
comfortable, snoozing in your house.

Let me know how this works out. :-)

Lewis.

*****
Old November 29th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Jim

I'll bet that if you STOP pedaling, point your finger at the dog and
scream NO as loudly as you can, it'll have the same effect as the
pepper spray would.

Failing that you could shoot the owner, kidnap the dog and take it
home with you. Then, when you go for a ride, Fido will be safe and
comfortable, snoozing in your house.

Let me know how this works out. :-)

Lewis.

*****

I'll be out again today, so who knows.... maybe there will be another
story to tell

Seriously tho, there seems a trend here ( rural Ohio ) for people to
keep meaner and meaner dogs, and not have them chained all the time. We
do have a leash law here, for what that's worth. I guess it's something,
in that if I do spray, or shoot, a dog that's latched on my foot, there
is the legal point that it shouldn't have been in the road.

My wife witnessed a neighbor lady get nastily mauled by a dog this
summer. In that case I went out, and like you say, sorta stared the dog
down. It circled and snarled, but didn't come after me as long as I
stayed looking at it. That ended with the police taking the dog and
having it put down. It had attacked someone once before.

Oh, well, that's in the past, let it go. Today is a beautiful day
considering the time of year, so I'm headed out biking.

jim d
Old November 29th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
slide

Steve Sr. wrote:

Next question... What do you do about a dog that has been hit point
blank with pepper spray about 3-4 times by myself or co-worker yet
still continues to try to attack the next day? The dog is a female pit
bull who immediately breaks off the attack when hit with the pepper
spray but will come back for more the next day. Unfortunately, this
dog is smart enough not to get hit by traffic yet dumb enough keep
getting pepper sprayed.

These foul animals get all too easily into a killing rage. If your area
is a tyranny preventing you from going armed, then this is the next best
thing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

Remember, if you don't stop the damn thing, you are setting up the next
rider for an attack. That rider could be a 10 year old girl who'll be
killed or maimed by the animal.
Old November 29th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_3_]

Jim ? wrote:
[...]

Substitute "owner" for "dog" and the outcome would have been better.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.
Old November 29th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Keiron[_2_]

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 21:34:19 -0500, Steve Sr. wrote:

[...]

Not exactly what you're asking for but if you're not the slightest of
chaps I honestly recommend slowing down before the area which it occurs,
unclip the dog-side leg and give the blighter a boot, sounds awful and
make sure it's defensive (don't chase it and boot it repeatedly!) cos it
can be trouble with the law but often you'll get benefit of the doubt.
Also helps if the owner's not in sight: no offence to anyone but I've
found owners of vicious dogs often have quite a bite themselves. Good
luck.

Best Way To Carry Pepper Spray ? Steve Sr. General 9 December 1st 08 08:15 PM
Pepper Spray SteveA Australia 0 February 7th 07 03:36 AM
Pepper Spray slow verb Australia 39 February 5th 07 12:49 PM
Someone bring the pepper spray to JT Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 1 September 7th 04 02:53 PM
Anyone carry pepper spray while riding? J999w Social Issues 22 June 25th 04 04:37 AM