Beware of Lone Peak Packs Non-Warranty

Old December 4th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Beware of Lone Peak Packs Non-Warranty

I have a two year old Lone Peak RP700 rack trunk where one of the four
attachment straps came off. It wasn't abused or anything, my wife was
pulling the strap tight though the buckle, and the sewn on strap just
came off the rack trunk where it's sewn on. The rack trunk has probably
only been used about 20 days in the last two years.

No problem I thought, It has a lifetime warranty, so I packed it up and
sent it off to Lone Peak for repair, complete with a copy of the receipt
(even though no receipt is really necessary since it's a lifetime
warranty). Today I get a call from Lone Peak that the repair is not
covered by the warranty, and that the strap must have been caught in a
spoke or something to come off like that (it wasn't). Since it's an
expensive pack, I reluctantly agreed to pay for the repair and return
shipping.

So just be aware that Lone Peak Packs doesn't honor their wonderful
warranty. If you're feeling good about spending more to buy a made in
the U.S.A. product, partly because you think that there's a company that
will stand behind the product, think again. I really liked the RP700
because it was the only rack trunk I found that didn't use Velcro straps
to hold it on, they use buckles, and I own two of them.

So stupid. For $12.50 they've alienated a customer that has bought
several of their rather expensive products Next time I'll go to
Performance and buy the Performance house brand. At least with Velcro I
can repair it myself when the Velcro wears out.
Old December 4th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 4, 11:27*am, SMS wrote:

So stupid. For $12.50 they've alienated a customer that has bought
several of their rather expensive products Next time I'll go to
Performance and buy the Performance house brand. At least with Velcro I
can repair it myself when the Velcro wears out.

Apparently, they're not in the business of making money. Very few
people actually utilize lifetime warranties--their worth is usually in
how they're handled. If they'd spent the $10 in labor and fixed your
bag, they're have gotten it back a hundred fold in free word of mouth
advertising. They're stricken from my list for sure.
Old December 4th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Ecnerwal

Default Another Lifetime Non-Warranty

Well, I don't know if the blame is with the LBS or Arizona Innovations,
but I've been trying to get a "lifetime warranted" floor pump repaired,
replaced or credited (since AZ Inno does not seem to make actual pumps
anymore, just CO2 fill systems, which are of no interest to me) for over
6 months now. Nothing.

Old December 4th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Dec 4, 9:27*am, SMS wrote:
[...]

You encountered the usual dispute over what is -- or is not -- a
manufacturing defect. If it clearly is a manufacturing defect, the
only thing you can do is threaten to take them to small claims court.
In many states, you can recover attorneys fees in small contract
disputes. You should also check local law on the duration of implied
warranties for consumer products, etc. You may have a warranty claim
apart from the written warranty.

Manufacturers are in a tough spot because everyone claims that every
product failure is caused by a manufacturing defect -- even if the
product was run over with a lawn mower. They can bend over and take
it in the shorts or put up a fight and maybe lose loyal customers.
ON

Old December 4th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Dec 4, 2:26*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:27*am, SMS wrote:

[...]

ON- Hide quoted text -

Dang, I got cut off. Anyway, for a $12.00 fix, they can just charge
$10.00 shipping, keep a loyal customer and not take too much of a hair
cut. On high value items, the call is a lot tougher, and generally
manufacturers work with their dealers to determine if the customer is
on the up and up (along with looking at the failure mode -- which
usually tells you all you need to know). -- Jay Beattie.
Old December 5th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Dec 4, 5:27*pm, SMS wrote:
[...]

What a stupid, stupid thing for Lone Peak to do. They've just
motivated you to put on the permanent record that their word is no
good. They were actually at the top of my list for replacement
luggage, as my old Trek bag is no longer made, but now they're right
off it, and their claim (or agent's claim -- I saw it on ebay) that no
case of failed stitching is known is exposed as untrue. -- Andre Jute
Old December 5th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Jay Beattie wrote:

You encountered the usual dispute over what is -- or is not -- a
manufacturing defect. If it clearly is a manufacturing defect, the
only thing you can do is threaten to take them to small claims court.
In many states, you can recover attorneys fees in small contract
disputes. You should also check local law on the duration of implied
warranties for consumer products, etc. You may have a warranty claim
apart from the written warranty.

Yeah, and I could take along the same model that's a couple of years
older, and has been much more heavily used, with no failures. I think
I'll just write it off to experience. I just got ****ed when the guy on
the phone made up a story about how the strap must have gotten caught in
the spokes.

Hopefully my Arkel bag will be better.
Old December 5th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Ecnerwal wrote:
Well, I don't know if the blame is with the LBS or Arizona Innovations,
but I've been trying to get a "lifetime warranted" floor pump repaired,
replaced or credited (since AZ Inno does not seem to make actual pumps
anymore, just CO2 fill systems, which are of no interest to me) for over
6 months now. Nothing.

Maybe the lesson here is to shop at REI. They'll make good on warranties
that the manufacturer doesn't want to honor, or more likely they force
the manufacturer to honor the warranty.

The warranty is part of the value of a product from Arkel or LonePeak
since luggage products often have straps and buckles that fail. You pay
for the warranty in the high price of the item.
Old December 5th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

On Dec 4, 11:39 am, landotter wrote:
Apparently, they're not in the business of making money. Very few
people actually utilize lifetime warranties--their worth is usually in
how they're handled. If they'd spent the $10 in labor and fixed your
bag, they're have gotten it back a hundred fold in free word of mouth
advertising. They're stricken from my list for sure.

100% correct. It is silly to argue about $12 and lose hundreds.
I had really good experience with Kurt Kinetic sending me another
resistance unit for their wind trainer. No questions - once they
determined that I am using it correctly and that old unit is very
likely out of balance they sent me one within a week.
So later when I had a chance to buy their fluid trainer on sale
I did not hesitate. Small investement in customer service bought
them loyal customer.
Old December 5th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
SMS wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:
Well, I don't know if the blame is with the LBS or Arizona
Innovations, but I've been trying to get a "lifetime warranted"
floor pump repaired, replaced or credited (since AZ Inno does not
seem to make actual pumps anymore, just CO2 fill systems, which are
of no interest to me) for over 6 months now. Nothing.

Maybe the lesson here is to shop at REI. They'll make good on
warranties that the manufacturer doesn't want to honor, or more
likely they force the manufacturer to honor the warranty.

Most likely REI just eats the cost and sells the item for pennies on the
dollar at the monthly "scratch and dent" sale. REI has a "100%
satisfaction" policy.

The warranty is part of the value of a product from Arkel or LonePeak
since luggage products often have straps and buckles that fail. You
pay for the warranty in the high price of the item.

Or at least you thought you did.