Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton

Old January 25th 09, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

Default Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 19:07:39 +0000 someone who may be Jolly Polly
wrote this:-

The pavement is the sole preserve of the pedestrian

However, councils are adding white paint and blue signs to
pavements. By magic that turns the pavement into a "cycle facility",
which cyclists are supposed to be grateful for and want to use.

These farcilities are not looked on with favour by many cyclists,
but when they ignore them in favour of the roads they are
"encouraged" by some motorists to get on the pavement. Even where
there is no magic paint and signs some motorists "encourage"
cyclists to get on the pavement "where they belong".

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old January 25th 09, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Tony Dragon" wrote in message

In my experience, they aren't.
But I would imagine that most motorist caused injuries are reported,
probably not the same for cycle collisions. (My daughters injuries were
not reported)

Why not? If you want the authorities to do something about this, you need
them to have the evidence that it is a problem.

Complaining on here isn't going to do anything - go to the police and get
the injury recorded.

What did you do about the person who caused the injury?

Old January 25th 09, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

JNugent writes:

Dunno about that.

How about a law saying that anyone who swings a hammer recklessly in a
public place within a foot of a passer-by is guilty of an offence?

If it causes the passerby to fear injury to themselvs, it's already
assault. Do we need more specific legislation?

-dan
Old January 25th 09, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:59:16 +0000, David Hansen
said in
:

I wonder if the usual suspects would advocate that the driver of any
motor vehicle on the pavement was also arrested, heavily fined and
the motor vehicle crushed?

Or how about the vehicle is arrested and the driver crushed? ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt
Old January 25th 09, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:05:02 +0000, David Hansen
said in
:

However, councils are adding white paint and blue signs to
pavements. By magic that turns the pavement into a "cycle facility",
which cyclists are supposed to be grateful for and want to use.

And woe betide them if they fail to show the proper gratitude. It
is of course Perfectly Reasonable to drive a 38T artic at them in
order to educate them as to the folly of failing to use a narrow
grit-strewn footpath instead of a road when Magic White Paint (TM)
is in place.

Old January 25th 09, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 23:34:53 +0000, Tony Dragon
said in
:

can you explain why none of my family have never had a near miss with
a car on the footway, but have had many with cyclists?

Can you explain why pedestrians are far more likely to be injured by
motorists than cyclists ?

Here is a word you missed *footway*

Can you explain why pedestrians are far more likely to be injured on
the footway by motorists than cyclists ?

They may be more likely (statistically) to be *killed* by an out of control
motor-vehicle which mounts the footway (perhaps even with a dead driver at
the wheel), but are pedestrians more likely to be *injured* by a
motor-vehicle mounting the footway than by one of the much more numerous
bicycles being ridden along it?
Old January 25th 09, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 00:02:05 +0000, JNugent
said in
:

Why not just "start" by arresting footway cyclists, fining them (heavily) and
crushing their bikes?

For the same reason that you don't treat a runny nose by nasal
amputation. It's a symptom, and not even a serious one as far as
the available evidence goes.

You were just given a case in point where the "triviality" of the offence (as
you claim it to be) was poroven to be false.
Old January 25th 09, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

David Hansen wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:59:37 +0000 someone who may be Tony Dragon
wrote this:-

If you are correct, can you explain why none of my family have never had
a near miss with a car on the footway, but have had many with cyclists?

If you are correct, can you explain why I have been struck (and
knocked down) twice by motor vehicles being driven on the pavement,
but I have never been struck by a bike being ridden on the pavement?

It's easy to explain: you are making it up.
Old January 25th 09, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

wrote this:-

If you are correct, can you explain why none of my family have never had
a near miss with a car on the footway, but have had many with cyclists?

If you are correct, can you explain why I have been struck (and
knocked down) twice by motor vehicles being driven on the pavement,
but I have never been struck by a bike being ridden on the pavement?

No I can't & obviously neither can you.

--
Tony the Dragon
Old January 25th 09, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

David Hansen wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 08:33:16 +0000 someone who may be "Just zis Guy,
you know?" wrote this:-

Why not just "start" by arresting footway cyclists, fining them (heavily) and
crushing their bikes?

For the same reason that you don't treat a runny nose by nasal
amputation. It's a symptom, and not even a serious one as far as
the available evidence goes.

I wonder if the usual suspects would advocate that the driver of any
motor vehicle on the pavement was also arrested, heavily fined and
the motor vehicle crushed?

Driving along the footway?

*Certainly* to the prosecution and fine (but that's what happens anyway,
isn't it).

But probably not to the arrest, since drivers and vehicle keepers can easily
be identified, and not the crushing (it would be unnecessary); the crushing
wouyld be relevant to bicycles because there is no other way to get the
cyclist to stop riding it - whereas the driver can be banned from driving.

Pavement cyclist killed Tony Raven UK 1 November 4th 06 08:07 PM
Pavement cyclist Colin Blackburn UK 39 September 12th 05 03:43 PM
Tyler hits the pavement one last time [email protected] Racing 0 April 19th 05 12:02 AM
"Pavement cyclist is first to be fined" Pete Bentley UK 19 January 24th 05 02:59 AM
Pavement cyclist falls off. Peter B UK 3 November 24th 03 06:10 PM