A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Tubeless after 2 years.

Old May 11th 20, 08:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo
external usenet poster

Default Tubeless after 2 years.

After watching my co-workers jack around and make messes with tubeless tires, I was cured of ever wanting to try them.

My conclusion was this: if you're lucky, tubeless tires take the same amount of time as dealing with a foreseeable amount of flats in regular tubed tires-- and maybe you get to deal with them at the time and place of your choosing, instead of out on the road. That's good. But if you're not lucky, they take a lot more time, and get nasty goo all over you and your workspace. And at some point you will probably have to walk your bike a long way in the dust with sticky crap all over you and it.

If you get no punctures at all in regular tubes, you don't have to do anything with them. If you get no punctures Ã*t all in tubeless tires, you still have to clean out the cheese curds and mop up the whey.

Choosing tubeless tires and getting professionals to deal with them is the equivalent of intentionally defecating in your pants and then hiring someone to clean up the mess.
Ads
Old May 11th 20, 08:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster

On 5/11/2020 12:19 AM, Chalo wrote:
After watching my co-workers jack around and make messes with tubeless tires, I was cured of ever wanting to try them.

My conclusion was this: if you're lucky, tubeless tires take the same amount of time as dealing with a foreseeable amount of flats in regular tubed tires-- and maybe you get to deal with them at the time and place of your choosing, instead of out on the road. That's good. But if you're not lucky, they take a lot more time, and get nasty goo all over you and your workspace. And at some point you will probably have to walk your bike a long way in the dust with sticky crap all over you and it.

If you get no punctures at all in regular tubes, you don't have to do anything with them. If you get no punctures Ã*t all in tubeless tires, you still have to clean out the cheese curds and mop up the whey.

Choosing tubeless tires and getting professionals to deal with them is the equivalent of intentionally defecating in your pants and then hiring someone to clean up the mess.

Wow, I don't think that's a great analogy! But you're correct that for
non-racers. there's really no upside in going tubeless.

Old May 11th 20, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 12:19:56 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:

I pretty much agree with you. One of the probably permanent negatives of tubeless tires is that most of the wheelsets now sold will be combination tubeless/clinchers and the tires will be very difficult to mount.

This is make mounting a clincher and tube easy and safe on these rims: https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...nt=Kool%20Stop

VAR also makes on small enough to carry in a saddle pack but it doesn't seem to work as well - probably because it doesn't have anywhere near the leverage.