way past ridiculous

Old September 27th 05, 08:01 PM
andy gee

Default way past ridiculous

Okay, so what have we learned?

If you're poor and don't have a car, you can't get out of the way of the
flood.

If you can afford a car and try to get out of the way of the flood, you
get stuck in traffic. And if you leave by bus, you might blow up.

9/25/05 the New York Times reports we can't drive any less. American
households make 491 shopping trips per year, average r/t distance 7
miles.

9/26/05 President Bush asks America to conserve, and drive less.

President Bush is an avid mountain bicyclist. His new best friend,
Lance Armstrong, is a world champion bicyclist, the greatest American
hero for whomping the French since Bobby Fischer whomped the Russians.

Can NO ONE in the mainsteam media or political or corporate arena
suggest that we might try looking at bicycles?

BTW, since everyone here is computer savvy, does anyone
broadband/telecommute for work one or more times a month?

--ag
Old September 27th 05, 08:08 PM
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:01:05 -0500, andy gee wrote:

BTW, since everyone here is computer savvy, does anyone
broadband/telecommute for work one or more times a month?

Basically once a week -- stay home and either do research, or, like today,
grade papers. But, since I get to work on my bike, anyway, it probably
doesn't count.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
(_)/ (_) |

Old September 27th 05, 08:31 PM
Cheto

"andy gee" wrote in message
7.142...

Okay, so what have we learned?

That if you count on the government to help you in times of disaster, you're
setting yourself up for disappointment.

Cheto

Old September 27th 05, 08:39 PM
Michael Erickson

David L. Johnson wrote:

Basically once a week -- stay home and either do research, or, like today,
grade papers. But, since I get to work on my bike, anyway, it probably
doesn't count.

Same here. I VPN in from my house about once a week.

I have a specific goal of taking some form of alternative transportation
into work at least three times per week. For me, alternative transportation
is defined as biking, light-rail, motorcycle, car-pool, or any combination
thereof.

In reality, it consists of my riding my bike in and out of the office. This
month has been great for me and the bike. I've blown way past the three
days a week minimum. In fact, I haven't filled up my gas tank since before
Katrina hit.

Sometime during the last year I decided that I just felt like a dick
everytime I commuted by car alone.

Regards,
--mike

--
Michael Erickson
Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Old September 27th 05, 10:06 PM
Biker B.

As I watched those traffic jams that was my exact thought: why aren't
these people on bicycles? Seems like common sense, but then again...

I bike to work every day except when there's bad ice or snow (then I
take public transportation).

Old September 27th 05, 10:34 PM
gds

andy gee wrote:
Can NO ONE in the mainsteam media or political or corporate arena
suggest that we might try looking at bicycles?

No, anyone who has eer watched the "Wizard of Oz" clearly understands
the risks of riding a bike during high winds.

Seriously, What % of the population do you think is capable or riding a
bike out of a potential large scale disaster?
Please consider in the estimate: 1) the number of elderly, 2) the
number of small children, 3) the number of infirm, 4) the number of
totally unfit folks, 5)the number of pets, 6) the number of folks who
want/need to carry some possesions. 7)the number of folks who have
working bicycles for every family member, 8) etc.
Also, since the recent Rita situation called for evacuation distances
to be travelled at 100+ miles please consider how many folks can cycle
that distance in a reasonable amount of time.

My own non scientific estimate is that (way) less than 10% of the
population could evacuate by bicycle.

So, there is clearly a serius problem with disaster planning. Let's
solve the problem. That is important. Let's not try to pretend to solve
it by suggesting that something we like to do is the solution.
I can see the debate betwen the hikers and bikers now. Biking is faster
say the cyclists. Hikers can carry more possesions say the hikers.
And for the flooding we just saw perhaps the kayakers will "wade" in
and tout the superiority of their preferred activity.

Like it or not we live in a modern, industrial society and need to come
up with plans that utilize technolgy effectively. The problems that
were so obvious are not with technology but with very poor application
of technology.

Remember, when Pompei was buried by volcanic activity the problem was
not massive traffic jams.

Old September 27th 05, 10:47 PM
Neil Brooks

"gds" wrote:

andy gee wrote:
Can NO ONE in the mainsteam media or political or corporate arena
suggest that we might try looking at bicycles?

No, anyone who has eer watched the "Wizard of Oz" clearly understands
the risks of riding a bike during high winds.

Seriously, What % of the population do you think is capable or riding a
bike out of a potential large scale disaster?

I /think/ the OP meant: how about riding bikes, generally, as a way to
cut down on fossil fuel consumption.
Old September 27th 05, 10:50 PM
gds

Perhaps. The context of referencing the recent disasters suggested
otherwise to me. But... .

Old September 28th 05, 01:53 AM
Andy Gee

"David L. Johnson" wrote in
news
On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:01:05 -0500, andy gee wrote:

BTW, since everyone here is computer savvy, does anyone
broadband/telecommute for work one or more times a month?

Basically once a week -- stay home and either do research, or, like
today, grade papers. But, since I get to work on my bike, anyway, it
probably doesn't count.

Of course it counts! I'm trying to build a case that rational solutions to
tough problems are either not supported by the folks to whom the solutions
are or should be be important, or they are being blocked outright.

--ag
Old September 28th 05, 01:55 AM
Andy Gee

"Cheto" wrote in
:

"andy gee" wrote in message
7.142...

Okay, so what have we learned?

That if you count on the government to help you in times of disaster,
you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Cheto

Too right, looks like. But then what are we paying them for?

And, would you rather get the help you pay for or would you rather just not
pay?

--ag