Pavement cyclist

Old September 9th 05, 09:44 PM
Danny Colyer

Default Pavement cyclist

MartinM wrote:
I twice this year saw old boys driving electric buggies up the wrong
side of the road against uncoming traffic despite a perfectly good
pavement. Oh well probably less of a hazard than driving their car up a
motorway the wrong way.

I expect they find it difficult to get on and off of the pavement. They
probably ride on the wrong side of the road because they think of
themselves as assisted pedestrians, and of course a ped /should/ walk
facing the oncoming traffic if he's unable to use a pavement for
whatever reason.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old September 9th 05, 09:56 PM
JohnB

Danny Colyer wrote:

MartinM wrote:
I twice this year saw old boys driving electric buggies up the wrong
side of the road against uncoming traffic despite a perfectly good
pavement. Oh well probably less of a hazard than driving their car up a
motorway the wrong way.

I expect they find it difficult to get on and off of the pavement. They
probably ride on the wrong side of the road because they think of
themselves as assisted pedestrians, and of course a ped /should/ walk
facing the oncoming traffic if he's unable to use a pavement for
whatever reason.

I've come across child cyclists who have been told to do this by their parents.
Frightening.

John B
Old September 9th 05, 10:02 PM
MartinM

Danny Colyer wrote:
MartinM wrote:
I twice this year saw old boys driving electric buggies up the wrong
side of the road against uncoming traffic despite a perfectly good
pavement. Oh well probably less of a hazard than driving their car up a
motorway the wrong way.

I expect they find it difficult to get on and off of the pavement.

one was along Eastbourne seafront; you would have a job finding a more
pavement transition friendly town in the UK, I think it was more to do
with not having to share the footpath with all the post airshow crowds;
I did have to look away a few times as coaches passed.

They
probably ride on the wrong side of the road because they think of
themselves as assisted peds, and of course a ped /should/ walk
facing the oncoming traffic

Yes this is what I was taught being brung up in an area of no footpaths
on many roads. we were having a similar conversation with LSMike about
skaters in London; apparently skating on the public highway is
perfectly legal as you are classed as a ped.

Old September 9th 05, 10:27 PM
Colin McKenzie

David Martin wrote:
Chris wrote:
Excellent! Now I think about it, I wonder at what point Pavement Cycling
becomes a Bad Thing? If we lived in a part of the world that had
pavements, we probably would have done the same with our kids.

When they get fed up with stopping at all the side roads. My 8yo
daughter cycles on the pavement on her own (or when I am walking), but
on the road when with me on a bike.

Good point. To be safe on the pavement they have to give way to
everything. And even then the pavement needs to be wide and/or quiet
to avoid them losing control trying to go too slowly.

Cycle Training UK will train children on road from age 8. They advise
that younger children should be accompanied if riding on road. The age
of criminal responsibility is 10, so under-10s can use the pavement
with impunity. Between these two ages, then, children should expect to
learn how to cycle properly on the road.

Colin McKenzie

Old September 9th 05, 10:48 PM
JohnB

Colin McKenzie wrote:

David Martin wrote:

When they get fed up with stopping at all the side roads. My 8yo
daughter cycles on the pavement on her own (or when I am walking), but
on the road when with me on a bike.

Good point. To be safe on the pavement they have to give way to
everything.

So true.
But this can then lead to difficuties when they do move on to the road,
as they may then start giving way to traffic waiting to emerge from side roads.
This causes confusion all round, but seems to be a common problem with
younger riders.

It is thus essential to learn about priorities as early as possible.

Of course it could be that they have been conditioned by their driver
parents that all cyclists must always give way to the motorist :-(

John B
Old September 9th 05, 11:20 PM

Bertie Wiggins wrote:
Yesterday's cycle training group (ten 10 year old children) included a
parent who hasn't been on a bike in 20 years and lacks the confidence
to cycle on the road.

I suggested that until she has completed the Level 2 course, she
practice cycling regularly by walking her bike to school with her
children and cycle home on the pavement.

Did I give the wrong advice?

do they come across the heath? could they divert on the way home to
take in some practice on there?

best wishes
james

Old September 10th 05, 12:30 AM
Bertie Wiggins

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:54:12 +0100, JohnB wrote:

Did I give the wrong advice?

I would never recommend a parent rides on the pavement.
It is not essential that a rider has completed level 2 before being able
to ride on the road.

She hasn't even completed Level 1. I cannot imagine her going to the
park to practice - an Asian woman riding about Greenwich park on a *2
for £50* mountain bike - I can't see it somehow. Mind you, I can
hardly believe she had the bottle to join a group of ten-year-olds to
learn. Good for her!
Old September 10th 05, 12:44 AM
Bertie Wiggins

On 9 Sep 2005 15:20:19 -0700, "
wrote:

do they come across the heath?

Yes. I was being a bit provocative in what I said. Their route is
from The Standard to Blackheath Village. Not really pavement at all,
but footpath alongside road and open ground or footpath across open
ground.
Old September 10th 05, 07:47 AM
John Hearns

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:30:16 +0100, Bertie Wiggins wrote:

I would never recommend a parent rides on the pavement. It is not
essential that a rider has completed level 2 before being able to ride on
the road.

She hasn't even completed Level 1. I cannot imagine her going to the park
to practice - an Asian woman riding about Greenwich park on a *2 for £50*
mountain bike - I can't see it somehow. Mind you, I can hardly believe
she had the bottle to join a group of ten-year-olds to learn. Good for
her!

Maybe Greenwich Cyclists could help here?
We used to run cycle training sessions on the riverfront near the Woolwich
leisure centre, using a trained instructor. Sadly no plans for a repeat
in the near future. We did get good feedback about the sessions.
We have lots of female members, who I'm sure will be willing to help.

I suggest either a quick visit to www.greenwichcyclists.org.uk and get in
touch, or why not come to the Car Free Day stall? Greenwich, Sunday 18th?

I know at least one Cycletraining UK instructor in the area, though the
lady would have to pay for a session. Don't think Lewisham council funds
training for adults.
Old September 10th 05, 08:35 AM
David Martin

JohnB wrote:
Colin McKenzie wrote:

David Martin wrote:

When they get fed up with stopping at all the side roads. My 8yo
daughter cycles on the pavement on her own (or when I am walking), but
on the road when with me on a bike.

Good point. To be safe on the pavement they have to give way to
everything.

So true.
But this can then lead to difficuties when they do move on to the road,
as they may then start giving way to traffic waiting to emerge from side roads.
This causes confusion all round, but seems to be a common problem with
younger riders.

I have noticed this. The first few times I rode with Rachel on the road
she was extremely nervous about giving way to cars coming in from the
side. You also learn to be extremely clear about instructions. 'move
out to the right' had her crossing to the wrong side of the road
instead of just to the centre!!

Things are improving now.. I'm better at asking ' when we go from here,
where will we be riding?' especially at T junctions etc.

...d