Pavement cyclist

Old September 10th 05, 09:00 AM
MartinM

Default Pavement cyclist

Simon Bennett wrote:
MartinM wrote:
As an aside I see Peugeot have chosen to ameliorate their 307
advertising poster with a pavement cyclist for no apparent reason. And
on the wrong side of the road as well.

I saw that one this morning. They've also made the cyclist _extremely_ small
in comparison to the car!

I think it's just the car that's big, the post box and cyclist etc are
normal size. Stupid advert anyway, it's supposed to empahsize that it
is taller than the average MDG, but why use the City as a location?

Old September 10th 05, 09:20 AM
Tony Raven

MartinM wrote:
Simon Bennett wrote:

MartinM wrote:

As an aside I see Peugeot have chosen to ameliorate their 307
advertising poster with a pavement cyclist for no apparent reason. And
on the wrong side of the road as well.

I saw that one this morning. They've also made the cyclist _extremely_ small
in comparison to the car!

I think it's just the car that's big, the post box and cyclist etc are
normal size. Stupid advert anyway, it's supposed to empahsize that it
is taller than the average MDG, but why use the City as a location?

Isn't that the cheap Indian car with the bodywork redone by an elephant
and amateur panel beater?

--
Tony

Anon
Old September 10th 05, 09:36 AM
MartinM

Tony Raven wrote:

MartinM wrote:
Simon Bennett wrote:

MartinM wrote:

As an aside I see Peugeot have chosen to ameliorate their 307
advertising poster with a pavement cyclist for no apparent reason. And
on the wrong side of the road as well.

I saw that one this morning. They've also made the cyclist _extremely_ small
in comparison to the car!

I think it's just the car that's big, the post box and cyclist etc are
normal size. Stupid advert anyway, it's supposed to empahsize that it
is taller than the average MDG, but why use the City as a location?

Isn't that the cheap Indian car with the bodywork redone by an elephant
and amateur panel beater?

no that's a 206; the 307 one is just a poster.
Anon

Old September 10th 05, 09:39 AM
MartinM

MartinM wrote:

Tony Raven wrote:

MartinM wrote:
Simon Bennett wrote:

MartinM wrote:

As an aside I see Peugeot have chosen to ameliorate their 307
advertising poster with a pavement cyclist for no apparent reason. And
on the wrong side of the road as well.

I saw that one this morning. They've also made the cyclist _extremely_ small
in comparison to the car!

I think it's just the car that's big, the post box and cyclist etc are
normal size. Stupid advert anyway, it's supposed to empahsize that it
is taller than the average MDG, but why use the City as a location?

Isn't that the cheap Indian car with the bodywork redone by an elephant
and amateur panel beater?

no that's a 206; the 307 one is just a poster.

Having been a passenger in a few Hindustan Ambassadors (based on the
Morris Oxford) I think the elephant treatment is deserved. BTW are they
going to continue selling the Indian CityRover under a different badge?
Anon

Old September 10th 05, 10:02 AM
Tony W

"Tony Raven" wrote in message

Isn't that the cheap Indian car with the bodywork redone by an elephant
and amateur panel beater?

That, Sir, is an insult to the truly magnificent Ambassador car!

Old September 10th 05, 12:03 PM
Bertie Wiggins

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 07:47:09 +0100, John Hearns
wrote:

She hasn't even completed Level 1. I cannot imagine her going to the park
to practice - an Asian woman riding about Greenwich park on a *2 for £50*
mountain bike - I can't see it somehow. Mind you, I can hardly believe
she had the bottle to join a group of ten-year-olds to learn. Good for
her!

Maybe Greenwich Cyclists could help here?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I will take her through my ten lesson
course, funded by my bidding for TfL cash.

If I can get her to level 3 by Christmas and cycling her children to
school next term it will be a story that I can try to use to justify
further TfL funding.
Old September 10th 05, 11:12 PM
John Hearns

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:03:40 +0100, Bertie Wiggins wrote:

Maybe Greenwich Cyclists could help here?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I will take her through my ten lesson
course, funded by my bidding for TfL cash.

If I can get her to level 3 by Christmas and cycling her children to
school next term it will be a story that I can try to use to justify
further TfL funding.

There was a misunderstanding on my part. I didn't realise that the person
in question was also part of your training programme.
Old September 12th 05, 01:59 PM
Dave Larrington

Also sprach JohnB :
Danny Colyer wrote:

MartinM wrote:
I twice this year saw old boys driving electric buggies up the wrong
side of the road against uncoming traffic despite a perfectly good
pavement. Oh well probably less of a hazard than driving their car
up a motorway the wrong way.

I expect they find it difficult to get on and off of the pavement.
They probably ride on the wrong side of the road because they think
of themselves as assisted pedestrians, and of course a ped /should/
walk facing the oncoming traffic if he's unable to use a pavement for
whatever reason.

I've come across child cyclists who have been told to do this by
their parents. Frightening.

I am told that this used to be standard practice in the US in days of old,
and there are still, mirabile dictu, to be found gimmers who continue so to
do.

Where's the gin?

Old September 12th 05, 03:25 PM
MartinM

Dave Larrington wrote:
Also sprach JohnB :
Danny Colyer wrote:

MartinM wrote:
I twice this year saw old boys driving electric buggies up the wrong
side of the road against uncoming traffic despite a perfectly good
pavement. Oh well probably less of a hazard than driving their car
up a motorway the wrong way.

I expect they find it difficult to get on and off of the pavement.
They probably ride on the wrong side of the road because they think
of themselves as assisted pedestrians, and of course a ped /should/
walk facing the oncoming traffic if he's unable to use a pavement for
whatever reason.

I've come across child cyclists who have been told to do this by
their parents. Frightening.

I am told that this used to be standard practice in the US in days of old,
and there are still, mirabile dictu, to be found gimmers who continue so to
do.

according to a colleague the copper who has been standing outside
Holland Park tube since 7/7 has been regularly nicking velos pave and
issuing £20 on the spot fines.

Old September 12th 05, 03:43 PM
JohnB

MartinM wrote:

according to a colleague the copper who has been standing outside
Holland Park tube since 7/7 has been regularly nicking velos pave and
issuing £20 on the spot fines.

I wonder how many police bikies were nabbed during the ToB.
They were all riding on the pavements ;-)

John B