Got my Thurso Tickets woooohoooo

Old August 4th 06, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

Default Got my Thurso Tickets woooohoooo

I've just got back from Zakynthos and contrary to advice from some that
Scotrail send their tickets just before the day of departure, I was still
ticketless this morning.

I now have my tickets and the all important bike bookings after having to
relate the sequence of events to yet another Scotrail employee who faxed my
details to Leeds Station where I picked up a duplicate set of tickets. GNER
were the epitome of quiet efficiency at the Leeds end. They'll get my
business next time I travel.

Currently packing for the off on Sunday morning and preparing for a 100km
Audax tomorrow just to get my legs working again. It was far too hot in
Zakynthos to cycle though there were some stunning roads over the mountains
that I'd like to explore at a cooler time of year and when I'm considerably
lighter. The traffic was extremely light and bike aware.

Can't wait for this year's adventure.

Old August 4th 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

vernon wrote:

Currently packing for the off on Sunday morning and preparing for a 100km
Audax tomorrow just to get my legs working again. It was far too hot in
Zakynthos to cycle though there were some stunning roads over the mountains
that I'd like to explore at a cooler time of year and when I'm considerably
lighter. The traffic was extremely light and bike aware.

Can't wait for this year's adventure.

Great! Good luck on the long one.

--
Dave...

Old August 4th 06, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John B

vernon wrote:

I now have my tickets

Congratulations.
That's the hardest part over ;-)

Currently packing for the off on Sunday morning..

Enjoy - and please send reports.

John B

Old August 4th 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

"John B" wrote in message

vernon wrote:

I now have my tickets

Congratulations.
That's the hardest part over ;-)

Currently packing for the off on Sunday morning..

Enjoy - and please send reports.

I'm looking for a blog service that can be accessed by email. The one that
I've used for two years has been upgraded and no longer accepts emailed
entries from a mobile phone....so much for progress...

Alternatively does anyone know how to send entries via email to usenet.
I've looked and can not find anything that is recent and/or works

-=V=-

Old August 4th 06, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"vernon" wrote in message

Alternatively does anyone know how to send entries via email to usenet.
I've looked and can not find anything that is recent and/or works

I'd volunteer to do it the boring manual way but won't be around for it...

cheers,
clive

Old August 4th 06, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim Price

vernon wrote:
I'm looking for a blog service that can be accessed by email. The one that
I've used for two years has been upgraded and no longer accepts emailed
entries from a mobile phone....so much for progress...

http://moblog.co.uk/
might do what you want.

--

JimP

This " " intentionally left spaced.
Old August 4th 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:46:18 +0100, vernon wrote:

I now have my tickets ....

Sorry, but I forget the reason you're going to Thurso. I really hope it
is for the purpose of catching the ferry from Scrabster to Orkney, a trip
I'd like to make, and I will be very interested in your RRs.

If you are just going to Thurso itself then I hope it's improved since I
lived there in 1969/70. It /must/ have, there can't be places so
depressing left in the UK any longer, can there?

Mike
Old August 4th 06, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

"Mike Causer" wrote in message
newsan.2006.08.04.21.05.29.561285@firstnamelastn ame.com.invalid...
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:46:18 +0100, vernon wrote:

I now have my tickets ....

Sorry, but I forget the reason you're going to Thurso. I really hope it
is for the purpose of catching the ferry from Scrabster to Orkney, a trip
I'd like to make, and I will be very interested in your RRs.

It's one of the nearest places to John O'Groats served by rail. I found the
place quite friendly and the council run campsite was cheap and cheerful.
Orkney will have to wait another year..

If you are just going to Thurso itself then I hope it's improved since I
lived there in 1969/70. It /must/ have, there can't be places so
depressing left in the UK any longer, can there?

I wasn't too impressed with Paisley. Wingate is just about the grimmest
place I've been to.

Old August 4th 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MSeries

vernon wrote:
[...]

Wingate in Co. Durham , ah Wingate. Station Town, its neighbour is
worse. Good luck with your travels sir. I look forward to your RRs.
Don't forget to turn the gas off.
Old August 4th 06, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 22:15:44 +0100, vernon wrote:

It's one of the nearest places to John O'Groats served by rail. I found
the place quite friendly and the council run campsite was cheap and
cheerful. Orkney will have to wait another year..

Shame. I AM going to Orkney, I AM!.

Well, if you're sticking to mainland Scotland, why not see if you can get
into the Dounreay site using a block of cheese as a security pass as I
once managed to.

Don't try it with with the submarine base nearby though......

If you are just going to Thurso itself then I hope it's improved since
I lived there in 1969/70. It /must/ have, there can't be places so
depressing left in the UK any longer, can there?

I wasn't too impressed with Paisley. Wingate is just about the grimmest
place I've been to.

In the 1960s I was apprenticed to Stewarts & Lloyds who had steelworks
throughout Glasgow (and the Black Country, my home). I don't think you
could outgrim me with anything. And I have been to a Stalin-founded
steel town in Hungary too (actually not too bad, by eastern European norms).

OTOH, if I produced pics of the place I have been working in this week
HSE would generate enough energy not just to escape the Solar System, but
probably our galaxy too.

Mike