How can I get into InterBike?

Old September 6th 03, 05:16 PM
Calvin

Default How can I get into InterBike?

Does anyone know how a common person can get into InterBike? I love
those kind of shows. I get into the scuba diving equivalent (DEMA) by
being a DiveMaster. But, unfortunately I can't pay money to be a
cycling "professional".

thanks

calvin
SJ, CA
Old September 6th 03, 06:50 PM
Tim McNamara

In article ,
(Calvin) wrote:

Does anyone know how a common person can get into InterBike?

Get hired by a bike shop and get them to get you a ticket.
Old September 6th 03, 07:32 PM
AndresMuro

Does anyone know how a common person can get into InterBike? I love
those kind of shows. I get into the scuba diving equivalent (DEMA) by
being a DiveMaster. But, unfortunately I can't pay money to be a
cycling "professional".

thanks

calvin
SJ, CA

Ask someone from a local bike shop to take you as their employee.

Andres

visit my art website at: www.geocities.com/andresmuro/art.html
Old September 7th 03, 03:41 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Calvin- Does anyone know how a common person can get into InterBike? I love
those kind of shows. BRBR

Ya may love them but there are at present for 'industry' people only.
Manufacturers, distributors, retailers.

Lots of 'common' people, consumers, get in, with pirated credentials. There
have been discussions about a 'consumer day' at Interbike, but it's such a pain
to exhibitors already, they don't want it.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 7th 03, 04:06 PM
TomP

The reason the "Trade(s) People" don't want an open to the public day, is
they have to watch their merchandise more closely to prevent theft. And, the
jerk(s) with an ax to grind, getting into the vendor's face... The show is not the
place to air grievances.
When I used to go to the shows, I'd walk around and view the displays,
keeping my hands to myself. Unless invited by a vendor to "look" more closely at
what they were promoting. And, I did not ask a bunch of inane questions, or even
engage in small talk. Again, unless conversation was initiated by the vendor.
I've been to dozens bike, car, and motorcycle shows, the shop owner's, that
provided that opportunity to me, never heard from a vendor that so-and-so from your
shop caused them grief at the show.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Calvin- Does anyone know how a common person can get into InterBike? I love
those kind of shows. BRBR

Ya may love them but there are at present for 'industry' people only.
Manufacturers, distributors, retailers.

Lots of 'common' people, consumers, get in, with pirated credentials. There
have been discussions about a 'consumer day' at Interbike, but it's such a pain
to exhibitors already, they don't want it.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Tp

-------- __o
----- -\. ------ __o
--- ( ) / ( ) ---- -\.
----------------- ( ) / ( )

Freedom is not free; Free men are not equal; Equal men are not free.

Old September 7th 03, 07:49 PM
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 15:06:59 GMT, TomP wrote:

The reason the "Trade(s) People" don't want an open to the public day, is
they have to watch their merchandise more closely to prevent theft. And, the
jerk(s) with an ax to grind, getting into the vendor's face...

Not to mention that margins, costs, etc... are also discussed and in
some cases, displayed right out in the open. This show involves
actual buying and selling by all involved, Interbike is not simply a
display of what's new.

Heck, some of the booths aren't even bike stuff. There's machine
shops, Far Eastern factories, etc... looking to do business to
business work.

Barry
Old September 8th 03, 01:44 AM
Eagle Jackson

For an industry that isn't particularly healthy, one that has been
struggling for consumer excitement, it would well behoove the industry
to figure out some way to have a day for consumers. In the end, it's
the consumers who drive the business -- so why not do something to
make them happy? Consumers will come back from the show all excited
at seeing the new stuff, be much more likely to buy, tell their
friends and get them excited....
Old September 8th 03, 02:00 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

eagle- For an industry that isn't particularly healthy, one that has been
struggling for consumer excitement, it would well behoove the industry
to figure out some way to have a day for consumers BRBR

But that's the BIKE SHOP'S job...to introduce what's new-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 8th 03, 05:54 PM
Eagle Jackson

But that's the BIKE SHOP'S job...to introduce what's new-

Sure, the bike shop is one component of generating excitement for
bicycling. They are who the end user ultimately deals with. In a
larger sense, though, marketing is the overall industry's job. Who
runs most of the advertisements, which are supposed to generate demand
and excitement? It's the manufacturers, not the shops. It's not like
the bicycling industry is super healthy right now. Most shops and
manufacturers are struggling. It's going to take some new marketing.
A consumer day would get the most influential cyclists excited and
evangelize to the their friends. It's not going to by itself create a
new boom, but it could be part of a more impactful marketing effort by
the cycling industry.

Further, shops don't carry the range of product that a consumer could
see at the show. Maybe that's why you don't like the idea.

I've attended Interbike a few times, thanks to passes furnished by
friends at a bike manufacturer. I had a blast and know I came back a
lot more excited about cycling than any trip to a bike shop. I told
a lot of friends about the fun time I had and the stuff I saw. This
is the kind of word of mouth excitement the industry needs more of.

It's quite unlikely to be able to see Ugo Derosa, Greg Lemond, Eddy
Merckx, etc. etc. etc. in a weekend at my local bike shop.

LAB? David L. Johnson General 171 April 3rd 04 09:13 PM
Interbike Pics sabine Racing 62 October 30th 03 02:53 AM
Impressed by "Novice" bike commuter MP General 30 October 12th 03 07:31 AM