I'm going with steel. 2003 Specialized Allez Comp Cro-mo

Old March 5th 04, 03:00 AM
Brad Behm

Default I'm going with steel. 2003 Specialized Allez Comp Cro-mo

I finally decided to replace my damaged trek 2100 frame with a steel one. I
realized it's a little heavier but that's not such a big deal to me. My dad
tells me 'steel is real' and all that jazz. Now I need to know about a good
steel frame.

I've noticed not many bike companies make steel frames anymore and I'd like
to get something new.

So first: Does anyone know of any good steel frame makers with recent
models?

second: I'm looking at a 2003 Specialized Allex comp Cro-mo frame. Has
anyone used this one? Likes and dislikes?

Please let me know what you think

Thanks

Andrew

Old March 5th 04, 03:46 AM
Steve Shapiro

Brad Behm wrote:
I finally decided to replace my damaged trek 2100 frame with a steel
one. I realized it's a little heavier but that's not such a big deal to
me. My dad tells me 'steel is real' and all that jazz. Now I need to
know about a good steel frame.
I've noticed not many bike companies make steel frames anymore and I'd
like to get something new.
So first: Does anyone know of any good steel frame makers with
recent models?
second: I'm looking at a 2003 Specialized Allex comp Cro-mo frame. Has
anyone used this one? Likes and dislikes?
Please let me know what you think
Thanks
Andrew

Well, for racing bikes, if you have some time to wait and money to spen
then Richard Sachs has a great reputation
http://www.richardsachs.com/rsachs2.htm

Rivendell has a variety of steel bikes including racing, touring an
custom made. Some are stock and may be available now others may tak
longer. It depends on what you want. http://www.rivbike.com

In any case, these are a couple of fun sites to browse

Good luck

Steve Shapir

-

Old March 5th 04, 04:12 AM
David Reuteler

Steve Shapiro wrote:
Well, for racing bikes, if you have some time to wait and money to spend
then Richard Sachs has a great reputation.
http://www.richardsachs.com/rsachs2.html

Rivendell has a variety of steel bikes including racing, touring and
custom made. Some are stock and may be available now others may take
longer. It depends on what you want. http://www.rivbike.com/

good lord, steve. i don't think he meant a frou-frou money machine.

specialized allez cr-mo ($1630), surly pacer, soma road, jamis quest ($1300),
gunnar roadie ($1800)

gunnarbikes.com, somafab.com, jamisbikes.com, surlybikes.com,

or ****, go ti. get a habanero. habcycles.com
--
david reuteler

Old March 5th 04, 05:39 AM
Brad Behm

Well I can get the specialized allez cr-mo with carbon frame for $300 new.
So I think that's pretty good.

-andrew

"David Reuteler" wrote in message
.. .

Old March 5th 04, 07:30 AM
BaCardi

Brad Behm wrote:
I finally decided to replace my damaged trek 2100 frame with a steel
one. I realized it's a little heavier but that's not such a big deal to
me. My dad tells me 'steel is real' and all that jazz. Now I need to
know about a good steel frame.
I've noticed not many bike companies make steel frames anymore and I'd
like to get something new.
So first: Does anyone know of any good steel frame makers with
recent models?
second: I'm looking at a 2003 Specialized Allex comp Cro-mo frame. Has
anyone used this one? Likes and dislikes?
Please let me know what you think
Thanks
Andrew

The Allez Comp is a good bike. I knew a guy that had one of the olde
silver ones and raced it for years. It'd be nice to get a custom stee
frame, but it'll cost you about 4 times as much as the bike you
considering

-

Old March 5th 04, 12:42 PM
fig

"Brad Behm" wrote:

So first: Does anyone know of any good steel frame makers with recent
models?

I had a Colnago Master X-Lite for few weeks to try...it is a best steel frame I have ever riden.

Old March 5th 04, 01:40 PM
Bruni

Fyi, since the 2100 trek is a medium wt. bonded Al frame, many premium steel
frames are lighter. Mine range from 2.8-3.8 lb.
Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"

Old March 5th 04, 01:49 PM
Ronald

I had a Colnago Master X-Lite for few weeks to try...it is a best steel
frame I have ever riden.

I'll second that, but it's also a bit expensive.

Old March 5th 04, 01:59 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

brad- So first: Does anyone know of any good steel frame makers with recent
models? BRBR

Torelli, Waterford, Nobilette to name three

http://www.torelli.com

http://www.waterfordbikes.com

http://www.nobilettecycles.com

Don't expect any shops that only deal with bikes in boxes to have much steel.
Way to expensive when they see the deal they can make with aluminum.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302