Guides, maps, GPS tips for cycling in Lowestoft area?

Old January 29th 09, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Eric[_4_]

Default Guides, maps, GPS tips for cycling in Lowestoft area?

Hello everyone,

This summer we're going on holiday to Lowestoft and I think I'll take
my recumbent bicycle with me. I love cycling, but I hate stopping
to look at the map all the time (being a spoilt Dutch cyclist).
Last 2 times I tried cycling in the UK I had a hard time finding my
way
and when I just followed the signs, I ended up on the busy roads.

My OS Landranger (1:50,000) maps are a bit overwhelming in detail.
It would be ideal to have a map where smaller roads and cycle paths
are 'in the foreground' and where less suitable, busy roads/highways
are 'in the background'. Good 'pre-cooked' route-descriptions would
work well for me as well.

What guides/books and/or maps can you recommend for the Lowestoft
area?
I won't be making long distance tours, probably max. 50 km roundtrips.

I might even buy a GPS (with voice instructions?) to make it even
easier.
Any tips on hardware/software/GPS maps for this area?

Best regards,

Eric
Old January 29th 09, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Naqerj

Eric wrote:
Hello everyone,

This summer we're going on holiday to Lowestoft and I think I'll take
my recumbent bicycle with me. I love cycling, but I hate stopping
to look at the map all the time (being a spoilt Dutch cyclist).
Last 2 times I tried cycling in the UK I had a hard time finding my
way
and when I just followed the signs, I ended up on the busy roads.

My OS Landranger (1:50,000) maps are a bit overwhelming in detail.
It would be ideal to have a map where smaller roads and cycle paths
are 'in the foreground' and where less suitable, busy roads/highways
are 'in the background'. Good 'pre-cooked' route-descriptions would
work well for me as well.

I'd stay with the Landrangers. In East Anglia, if you stay on the map's
yellow roads you'll avoid most of the traffic. If you need to make the
route easier to follow at a glance you could plan the route in advance
and use a highlighter pen to make it stand out.

I use a GPS - but only to track where I've been, not to tell me where to
go - so can't comment on that idea.
--
Andrew
Old January 30th 09, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 29 Jan, 20:12, Eric wrote:
I might even buy a GPS (with voice instructions?) to make it even
easier.
Any tips on hardware/software/GPS maps for this area?

Check out the OpenStreetMap cycle map
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52...layers=00B0FTF

You can load the data into a Garmin GPS too.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index...._Map_On_Garmin
Old January 30th 09, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
LeeG.

There are a few routes on here

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/srchkey/Lowestoft
Old January 31st 09, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Eric[_4_]

Hello Andrew, LeeG, the Haywards and everyone else,

Thanks for your suggestions. More suggestions are still welcome.

OpenStreetMap seems like a great initiative. Unfortunately,
it seems like Lowestoft isn't yet covered very well, or I must
be doing something wrong. Bikely has some nice routes,
but to be honest, I'm afraid I need more detailed route descriptions.

From the suggestions I had till now, it looks like a GPS
is going to suit me best. Perhaps I'll buy one and scan
my OS Landranger map(s), and use some special software
to enter waypoints and tracks and load that in the GPS.

But again, other suggestions are welcome :-)
For instance, I'd be interested in hearing experiences with
maps and (books with?) route descriptions for the Lowestoft area.

Old January 31st 09, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly Polly

Eric wrote:
Hello Andrew, LeeG, the Haywards and everyone else,

Thanks for your suggestions. More suggestions are still welcome.

OpenStreetMap seems like a great initiative. Unfortunately,
it seems like Lowestoft isn't yet covered very well, or I must
be doing something wrong. Bikely has some nice routes,
but to be honest, I'm afraid I need more detailed route descriptions.

From the suggestions I had till now, it looks like a GPS
is going to suit me best. Perhaps I'll buy one and scan
my OS Landranger map(s), and use some special software
to enter waypoints and tracks and load that in the GPS.

But again, other suggestions are welcome :-)
For instance, I'd be interested in hearing experiences with
maps and (books with?) route descriptions for the Lowestoft area.

Best regards,

Eric

On the GPS; I've bought a pocket PC on eBay and put Memory-Map, with OS
maps, on it (mostly for walking the hills) and I've tried to use this on
the bike, with good results. Though battery life can be a problem,
3-4hrs. I turn it off when I'm not viewing, in order to prolong use.
Memory-Map will also go onto a GPS enabled mobile phone. You do need a
PC at home though, to start with. Then you can plan routes, including
height profiles etc. http://www.memory-map.co.uk/pda_mobile.htm
Just a thought.

Tips for cycling holiday in Bath area Jumpinjarhead UK 35 December 24th 08 09:26 AM
Hallo! Anyone knows, where I can buy good cycling maps(guides) in London? klimek UK 7 May 7th 06 06:56 PM
Cycling maps Danny Colyer UK 8 August 5th 05 11:42 PM
TfL cycling maps Orienteer UK 5 June 9th 04 08:22 AM
Maps for cycling Simonb UK 8 November 12th 03 11:53 PM