Cyclist hit by Car, Moorside /Halifax Road Cleckheaton

Old October 10th 04, 10:56 PM
AndyMorris

Default Cyclist hit by Car, Moorside /Halifax Road Cleckheaton

This afternoon at around 12:30 as I was at the junction of Moorside and
Halifax Road:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...424750&A=Y&Z=1

or

http://tinyurl.com/4kwzo

when a cyclist riding up Halifax Road in a north westerly direction was hit
by a gold coloured BMW coming out of Highmoor lane. The car windscreen was
shattered and the car drove off at speed.

I saw the collision, my partner got the drivers registration and phoned for
police and ambulance. Several people stopped to control traffic and offer
first aid, a paramedic arrived followed shortly by the ambulance, who took
the cyclist, who seemed to be shaken but walking, away and police who took
our details and got the story.

They got a call on the radio saying the driver had been caught, so after
making sure they had everyone's details they went to deal with him.

The bike was still on the pavement and someone said that the people in the
Moorside pub knew who the cyclist was, so I took the bike in for them to
look after.

The bike was a red Spen Velo road bike, about 22", campag brakes, no
mudguards, downtube gear levers, clips and straps.

I'd guess that the cyclist was in his 40's was wearing a bright yellow race
cape style jacket and a blue helmet.

If anyone knows who this is could they let him know where his bike is, pass
on my hopes that he is OK, my regrets that the bike has bent forks and
downtube, and if possible, let me know how he is.

I'll let Chris at Spen Velo know, as he might know who it is.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Old October 11th 04, 11:19 AM
Dave Kahn

"AndyMorris" wrote in message ...

when a cyclist riding up Halifax Road in a north westerly direction was hit
by a gold coloured BMW coming out of Highmoor lane. The car windscreen was
shattered and the car drove off at speed.

That does nothing at all to alter my perception of gold BMW drivers.

They got a call on the radio saying the driver had been caught, so after
making sure they had everyone's details they went to deal with him.

Good. I hope they throw the book at the scumbag.

The whole thing must have shaken you up a bit. At least the cyclist
doesn't appear to have been hurt as badly as he might have been. Let's
hope so anyway.

--
Dave...
Old October 11th 04, 07:32 PM
The Oldfellow

AndyMorris wrote:
snip
The bike was still on the pavement and someone said that the people in the
Moorside pub knew who the cyclist was, so I took the bike in for them to
look after.

snip
Andy Morris

What a wonderful public spirited guy you are. I just wonder how many
other people would have been so thoughtful? Well done Andy!

I hope the cyclist really was OK, often adrenalin rush will get you on
your feet even when quite badly injured internally. If you find
anything out, it would be good to know.

All the best,
Richard.
Old October 11th 04, 08:05 PM
Peter Grange

In article , The Oldfellow
writes
AndyMorris wrote:
snip
The bike was still on the pavement and someone said that the people in the
Moorside pub knew who the cyclist was, so I took the bike in for them to
look after.

snip
Andy Morris

What a wonderful public spirited guy you are. I just wonder how many
other people would have been so thoughtful? Well done Andy!

Hear Hear. I was very grateful for the public-spiritness of the people
who helped me when I got hit.

I hope the cyclist really was OK, often adrenalin rush will get you on
your feet even when quite badly injured internally. If you find
anything out, it would be good to know.

As I hit the ground, I remembered some good advice I had read on this
ng. Adrenaline rush or not, stay on the ground until you know how badly
or otherwise you are injured.

In this instance, let's hope the driver gets more than the normal wrist
slap. Driving away afterwards smells of no insurance though.

--
Peter Grange
Old October 11th 04, 08:29 PM
Martin Newstead \(MSeries\)

Peter Grange wrote:

In this instance, let's hope the driver gets more than the normal
wrist slap. Driving away afterwards smells of no insurance though.

Thats what I was thinking or something more sinister such as a car full of
drugs. Andy didn't mention if the windows were blacked out.

Old October 11th 04, 09:26 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:05:13 +0100, Peter Grange
wrote in message
:

In this instance, let's hope the driver gets more than the normal wrist
slap. Driving away afterwards smells of no insurance though.

Or drunk in charge. The typical penalty for leaving the scene is
lower than that for drunk in charge, a clear incentive to flee after
any crash.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old October 11th 04, 09:28 PM
Mark Thompson

In this instance, let's hope the driver gets more than the normal
wrist slap. Driving away afterwards smells of no insurance though.

Wrist slap it is then :-/
Old October 12th 04, 12:49 AM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Just zis Guy, you know?" typed

wrote in message
:

In this instance, let's hope the driver gets more than the normal wrist
slap. Driving away afterwards smells of no insurance though.

Or drunk in charge. The typical penalty for leaving the scene is
lower than that for drunk in charge, a clear incentive to flee after
any crash.

A quick look at AutoRoute shows some slip roads to the M62 (NOT a proper
junction) *very* close to this accident site. Curiouser & curiouser...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old October 12th 04, 01:30 AM
AndyMorris

"Just zis Guy, you know?" typed

wrote in message
:

In this instance, let's hope the driver gets more than the normal
wrist slap. Driving away afterwards smells of no insurance though.

Or drunk in charge. The typical penalty for leaving the scene is
lower than that for drunk in charge, a clear incentive to flee after
any crash.

A quick look at AutoRoute shows some slip roads to the M62 (NOT a
proper junction) *very* close to this accident site. Curiouser &
curiouser...

They are the slip roads from Hartshead Moor services, There is a 'backdoor'
from the road the driver came out of to the services, don't know if its
locked.

Old October 16th 04, 09:18 PM
Martyn Bolt

The local paper reports no one has been caught for this crime,
disgusting isn't it?