Screwy Question - cable guide

Old September 10th 04, 05:10 AM
Bow

Default Screwy Question - cable guide

Hi All,

I need to mount a plastic cable guide on my frame (the derailleur cable
channels that sit under the bottom bracket). There is a screw hole to allow
the guides to be monted, but I don't have a bolt to use. Does anyone know
if there is a standard size bolt or screw to use? If so, what size, length,
pitch, tpi etc.

Thanks

Bow

Old September 10th 04, 05:52 AM
Werehatrack

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:10:18 +1000, "Bow"
wrote:

Hi All,

I need to mount a plastic cable guide on my frame (the derailleur cable
channels that sit under the bottom bracket). There is a screw hole to allow
the guides to be monted, but I don't have a bolt to use. Does anyone know
if there is a standard size bolt or screw to use? If so, what size, length,
pitch, tpi etc.

Most of the ones I've run across were held in place with a
self-tapping sheet metal screw. That's what comes with the Shimano
guide, if I recall correctly.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Old September 10th 04, 06:06 AM
Dan Daniel

wrote:

Hi All,

I need to mount a plastic cable guide on my frame (the derailleur cable
channels that sit under the bottom bracket). There is a screw hole to allow
the guides to be monted, but I don't have a bolt to use. Does anyone know
if there is a standard size bolt or screw to use? If so, what size, length,
pitch, tpi etc.

Thanks

Bow

If you can't find a bolt, or one short enough, I've used a couple of
small pieces of double stick tape to hold it in place. Once the cables
are on, it's pretty well held by their pressure. The tape just stops
the guide from falling off during maintenance, etc.

Old September 10th 04, 03:12 PM
Russell Seaton

"Bow" wrote in message ...
Hi All,

I need to mount a plastic cable guide on my frame (the derailleur cable
channels that sit under the bottom bracket). There is a screw hole to allow
the guides to be monted, but I don't have a bolt to use. Does anyone know
if there is a standard size bolt or screw to use? If so, what size, length,
pitch, tpi etc.

Thanks

Bow

The bolt is the same size as goes in the eyelets on your fork ends and
rear dropouts. 3 mm or 4 mm diameter. Go to your local hardware
store and go to their bolt area and look through the little boxes of
metric bolts they have. Hopefully they will have an Allen head cap
screw. Do not use a sheet metal screw. The bottom bracket shell is
tapped for an official metric bolt.