Belt drive

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 28th 19, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Belt drive

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 07:51:07 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-27 15:51, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 07:54:56 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-04-25 15:48, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:

[...]

It often takes the bicycle industry decades longer to figure something
out. Such as decent heavy-duty rack space on FS MTB and central-battery
powered lighting where, no surprise, I had to build it all myself. Beats
me why one still cannot buy this:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy5.JPG

Probably because if your using the bike differently to others, my commute
bike though a hardtail is closer to that set up with panniers and a barbag
as I found the weight on the rear effected the handling though with the
weight spread even fully Laden the bike can be some fun in the woods if one
wants.

But for the Nice MTB I don’t need to take so much gear and as a leisure
rather than transport it’s a much nicer ride unladen.

Even during fun rides I carry a full tool kit, a big lock, some spare
parts and most of all water. The water alone can be north of a gallon in
summer because many MTB trails have no opportunity to refill (safely).

How often or likely is a full tool kit needed? Personally I do take some
Allen keys but can’t remember the last time they where needed.

You could have asked the guy whose shifter cable snapped and the limit
screws had Allen heads so were not adjustable via Swiss Army knife.

Err... the five Allan wrenches that I carry allow me to tighten or
loosen every threaded fastener on the bike and weigh considerably less
than a "Swiss Army Knife". ...

If you have the right size among them. I like to have it all. Now in the
shape of a Crankbrothers M19 tool which ... drum roll ... even contains
a chain breaker.

If they have the right size? Allan wrenches are normally sold in sets
(several different sizes) so one can just select the ones that do fit
and carry them :-)

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/m19

Plus a Swiss Army knife. Always. And a first aid kit. And a lock. And ...

... But of course I can't fight off a raging
mountain lion with my Allan wrench....

Or a rattlesnake. The other shortcoming of Allen wrenches is that they
do not have a bottle opener or corkscrew. They also lack a can opener,
for example, if you like to have anchovies on your sandwich.

Good Lord! You say that you are riding a bicycle, not on some sort of
odyssey where one needs to carry provisions. Just eat, than ride, than
eat when you get home again. I used to do 4 to 6 hour rides without
stopping for lunch. You obviously can't do this on tea and toast but a
good breakfast should see you through to lunch. Or at least it used to
back in the day when farmers actually worked all day :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

What is the case with belt drive? Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 62 October 27th 09 07:42 AM
Belt Drive Arrives Leo Lichtman[_2_] Techniques 1 November 21st 08 11:40 PM
Belt drive parts hhu Techniques 0 January 30th 05 09:26 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Mountain Biking 23 November 18th 04 09:53 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Techniques 39 November 18th 04 09:53 PM