'07 Campy cranks

Old August 30th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McTeague

Default '07 Campy cranks

I wonder why I have not seen any of the 2007 Campagnolo stuff at the Giro,
Tour and Vuelta. In the past the new stuff would turn up in the peloton
before we mere mortals could acquire it. The new gear seems to be hitting
the stores right about now and still no shots of it in action (and the new
crank would show up fairly well in photos).

Anyway, I am considering replacing my 2 year old FSA Carbon Compact Pro
setup as the ISIS bottom bracket seems pretty short lived, I'm on my 2nd one
and now it too is feeling rough, and the crank rings just don't seem as
well made as Campy/Shimano stuff. I am torn between getting a '06 Chorus CT
crank, with maybe a Phil BB, and waiting a bit for the new crank with
outboard bearings. I generally don't like to get the latest bike stuff as
the first year of production often turns up problems but Campy seems better
at this sort of thing. Before I put more money in another ISIS BB I want to
run through my options. Any words of wisdom out there?

Tim McTeague

Old August 30th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave Mayer

"Tim McTeague" wrote in message
news
I wonder why I have not seen any of the 2007 Campagnolo stuff at the Giro,

Words involving hundreds of dollars of purchase options snipped.....

Any words of wisdom out there?

Tim McTeague

Tim: thinking out of the box: I bought a Sugino AT triple crankset at a yard
sale on the weekend. Very nice cold-forged (light!) crankset with 110/74mm
bolt circle diameter. It came with 3 good rings. I can of course convert
this to a double. Since it does not follow a bizzarro 110/112mm bolt circle
standard (like Campy compact), into the future I will have an unlimited
supply of very cheap or likely free chainrings. It also came with a very
nice and light Tange cartridge BB.

This stuff came attached to a decent mountain bike in my size of which the
whole cost came to 10 Canadian Pesos.

A anti-consumerism alternative to obscenely expensive and poorly conceived
stuff that that will all be rendered 'obsolete' within 24 months....

---- Ryan: at another sale down the road I bought a pair of almost new
Shimano carbon-sole road bike shoes. Size 41. Need these? The folks
running the sale had them marked as golfing shoes. Weird. Also $10.

Old August 30th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
"Tim McTeague" wrote:

[...]

Perhaps the Phil Wood was a good choice when you bought
the initial FSA. I have two bikes, two bottom brackets:
fifteen year old Campagnolo cup and ball, and a five year
old Phil Wood. Go with what endures.

--
Michael Press
Old August 30th 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McTeague

Perhaps the Phil Wood was a good choice when you bought
the initial FSA. I have two bikes, two bottom brackets:
fifteen year old Campagnolo cup and ball, and a five year
old Phil Wood. Go with what endures.

--
Michael Press

Phil does not make an ISIS bottom bracket.

Tim

Old August 30th 06, 11:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McTeague

"Dave Mayer" wrote in message

Tim: thinking out of the box: I bought a Sugino AT triple crankset at a
yard sale on the weekend. Very nice cold-forged (light!) crankset with
110/74mm bolt circle diameter. It came with 3 good rings. I can of
course convert this to a double. Since it does not follow a bizzarro
110/112mm bolt circle standard (like Campy compact), into the future I
will have an unlimited supply of very cheap or likely free chainrings. It
also came with a very nice and light Tange cartridge BB.

This stuff came attached to a decent mountain bike in my size of which the
whole cost came to 10 Canadian Pesos.

A anti-consumerism alternative to obscenely expensive and poorly conceived
stuff that that will all be rendered 'obsolete' within 24 months....

Been listening to a lot of Chumbawumba eh? Buy nothing day indeed. Do you
really think that the new Campy cranks will be obsolete in 2 years? I enjoy
the act of cycling but I also have fun buying new parts from time to time.
I have only one road bike and, while I keep the frame for some time (I had
the one before my Seven for 12 yrs), I like to upgrade parts with nice
stuff. Actually, if Campagnolo made a compact Chorus in aluminum I might go
that way. The new Centaur in alum looks interesting if I can turn off my
weight weenie brain for a while.

Tim

Old August 30th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Tim McTeague wrote:
[...]

I would say that the 2006 CT crank, even with a Campag BB, is a great
choice. Not saying there is anything wrong with the 2007 Campag crank
but it really answers no question, solves no problem with regards to
the square taper...it is the stuff of the marketing department, not
the racing department. I have 2 C-Record cranks from about 1988, a slew
of loose ball BBs and a Phil...

Old August 30th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Dave Mayer wrote:
"Tim McTeague" wrote in message
news
I wonder why I have not seen any of the 2007 Campagnolo stuff at the Giro,

Words involving hundreds of dollars of purchase options snipped.....

Any words of wisdom out there?

Tim McTeague

Tim: thinking out of the box: I bought a Sugino AT triple crankset at a yard
sale on the weekend. Very nice cold-forged (light!) crankset with 110/74mm
bolt circle diameter. It came with 3 good rings. I can of course convert
this to a double. Since it does not follow a bizzarro 110/112mm bolt circle
standard (like Campy compact)

Only the carbon CT use this wierd bolt pattern. The aluminums are
110mm.

Old September 1st 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave Mayer

"Tim McTeague" wrote in message

Been listening to a lot of Chumbawumba eh? Buy nothing day indeed. Do
you really think that the new Campy cranks will be obsolete in 2 years? I
enjoy the act of cycling but I also have fun buying new parts from time
to time. I have only one road bike and, while I keep the frame for some
time (I had the one before my Seven for 12 yrs), I like to upgrade parts
with nice stuff. Actually, if Campagnolo made a compact Chorus in
aluminum I might go that way. The new Centaur in alum looks interesting
if I can turn off my weight weenie brain for a while.

Tim

You ride a Seven? OK, now I get it...

I like to buy kewl stuff too. In a weak moment I bought a titanium road
frame that I built into a 17 pound bike with Ergopower for the grand sum of
$1300. Which wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, because I ride my
1972 Gitane all the time anyway.

The $10 Sugino crankset will offer as much "performance" as anyone needs. I
don't get drawn into buying the trendy stuff with the trendy names. The
stuff that the early-adopter types pay big $ to act as beta testers for the
bike industry.

Old September 1st 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

"Dave Mayer" wrote in message

[...]

Nobody is forcing anyboby to buy anything. Right? So we are all OK then.

Lou

Old September 1st 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McTeague

"Dave Mayer" wrote in message

You ride a Seven? OK, now I get it...

Yeah, that's right, I ride a Seven Axiom. Guess you know all there is to
know about me now. When I bought the Seven I had never even seen one as
they had not been around all that long. The frame cost about $2300 at the
time as the dealer undercut the going price as he too was fairly new. I am
under no illusions that a Ti frame will make me ride faster or further. I
don't think that Campagnolo Record or Chorus gets me up a hill any easier
than Shimano 105. However, I really like well made, reliable bike parts
and, as I mentioned earlier, that too is part of the fun of cycling. You
obviously enjoy your retro-grouch persona and most likely get your clothes
from Goodwill and your hi-fi from a pawn shop. Some people like to buy
every new gadget and others, such as me, pick and choose their upgrades and
actually have some fun during the process.

Tim McTeague