Upgrade 105 7 speed double to 9 speed triple

Old March 21st 04, 09:45 PM
Humpkin

Default Upgrade 105 7 speed double to 9 speed triple

I have a mid 90's Cannondale R1000 with 105 7 speed and is a double. Th
bike got smashed up by a car and the frame was snapped

I am desparate to start riding again, so decided to just replace th
frame and transfer the components. The only thing is, the frame I hav
acquired is from a 2004 Cannondale R600 and it seems a bit of an insul
to the frame to build it up 7 speed

I was thinking of making it a 9 speed triple with flightdeck, but coul
live with a double, since I only ever use 3 gears (5, 12 & 14). Coul
anyone advise me as to what parts I would need, since I am weighing u
the option of just buying what I need over buying a new groupset.
think I need

New pair of 3/7 speed STI shifters 3 speed front derailleur Tripl
crankset 9 speed chain 9 speed rear derailleur 9 speed casett

Have I missed anything

Will I need a new BB to cope with the triple crankset, or a new hub o
the tear wheel for the 9 speed cassette or anything like that

Any advice would be appreciated

-

Old March 21st 04, 11:01 PM
A.Lee

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:45:57 +0000, Humpkin wrote:

I have a mid 90's Cannondale R1000 with 105 7 speed and is a double.
I was thinking of making it a 9 speed triple

New pair of 3/7 speed STI shifters 3 speed front derailleur Triple
crankset 9 speed chain 9 speed rear derailleur 9 speed casette
Will I need a new BB to cope with the triple crankset, or a new hub on
the tear wheel for the 9 speed cassette or anything like that?

Yes,new rear hub/wheel + new BB for a triple.Have the frame chainstays got
enough 'give' in them to fit the wider 9 sp hub? 9sp can be fitted to
many 7sp frames without trouble (it is only 4mm difference), but people
have reported some problems on here before.
It would be cheaper to buy a secondhand bike, than rebuild the old one.
Alan.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

Old March 21st 04, 11:46 PM
Humpkin

Yes,new rear hub/wheel + new BB for a triple.Have the frame chainstay
got enough 'give' in them to fit the wider 9 sp hub? 9sp can be fitte
to many 7sp frames without trouble (it is only 4mm difference), bu
people have reported some problems on here before. It would be cheape
to buy a secondhand bike, than rebuild the old one. Alan

OK so I need a new rear hub & BB as well............ but this is
different frame from the original - a 2004 R600- normally would be buil
up with 9 speed 105, whether double or triple

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4RR6D.htm

(that's the double

-

Old March 22nd 04, 12:27 AM
Dan Daniel

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:45:57 GMT, Humpkin
wrote:

New pair of 3/7 speed STI shifters

Don't you mean 3/9 STI levers?

3 speed front derailleur Triple
crankset 9 speed chain 9 speed rear derailleur 9 speed casette

Have I missed anything?

Will I need a new BB to cope with the triple crankset, or a new hub on
the tear wheel for the 9 speed cassette or anything like that?

The old hub won't accept a 9 speed cassette. And it will be 126mm
width, not today's 130mm. You will need a new hub- 8 or 9 speed model.
OR you can change just the freehub body and respace and redish the
wheel.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#up7

And bottom bracket- just get what they recommend for the crankset.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Do some of the math and then look at used bikes. Sometimes you can get
a complete used bike and just part it out and save money over new
components. If you get a steel frame, you could even throw the old 7
speed stuff on it and use it as a beater.

Old March 22nd 04, 04:28 AM
Matt O'Toole

Humpkin wrote:

I have a mid 90's Cannondale R1000 with 105 7 speed and is a double.
The bike got smashed up by a car and the frame was snapped.

I am desparate to start riding again, so decided to just replace the
frame and transfer the components. The only thing is, the frame I have
acquired is from a 2004 Cannondale R600 and it seems a bit of an
insult to the frame to build it up 7 speed.

Why? That's just plain silly, especially if...

I was thinking of making it a 9 speed triple... but
could live with a double, since I only ever use 3 gears (5, 12 & 14).

So why do you want more gears? As long as your current 7sp setup gives you the
gearing you need, there's no reason to change it. Plus -- 7sp wheels are
significantly stronger, because of less dish.

Personally, if I had a 7sp bike to begin with, I wouldn't change it to 8 or 9.
Because of the wheel strength issue, 7sp is actually superior, IMO. 7sp is
plenty of range for the rear. The rest can be made up with a triple if
necessary.

I happen to have a 9sp bike, but it came that way -- that's what they're selling
nowadays. I can't honestly say it's an advantage over the 7sp ones I rode for
years, especially with a triple.

If you don't have STI and you want it, I think they still make 7sp Sora, plus
there's plenty of old 7sp stuff around (check eBay).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Just build your new frame with the parts you have, and enjoy it.

Matt O.

Old March 22nd 04, 03:51 PM
John Everett

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:46:11 GMT, Humpkin
wrote:

Yes,new rear hub/wheel + new BB for a triple.Have the frame chainstays
got enough 'give' in them to fit the wider 9 sp hub? 9sp can be fitted
to many 7sp frames without trouble (it is only 4mm difference), but
people have reported some problems on here before. It would be cheaper
to buy a secondhand bike, than rebuild the old one. Alan.

OK so I need a new rear hub & BB as well............ but this is a
different frame from the original - a 2004 R600- normally would be built
up with 9 speed 105, whether double or triple:

No, no, no!!! You DON'T need a new rear hub. Your old 7-speed bike had
a rear triangle spaced at 126mm. Chances are your new frame is spaced
at 130mm to match 8/9/10 speed rear hubs. To go to 9-speed all you
need to replace is the freehub body (and cassette). In another recent
thread this subject was discussed ad nauseum.

Sheldon Brown (Harris Cyclery) has a cheap Shimano rear hub (like $20)
from which an 8/9-speed Hyperglide freehub body can be removed to
replace your 7-speed. This will widen your hub by 4mm, all on the
right side. To compensate you'll have to redish the wheel, moving the
rim 2mm to the right. You won't need new spokes, just a few turns with
a spoke wrench. You'll probably find all the info you need somewhere
on Sheldon's site.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3