Trials obstacle building instructions...

Old February 6th 04, 01:10 AM
andrew_carter

Default Trials obstacle building instructions...

I've just finished writing instructions on building sandwich boards and
practice rails. I'm going to write some more later on and hopefully get
Gary to put them up on www.unicycles.com.au for people to easily
download. Hopefully these will help somebody. They're not perfect as I
didn't really feel like going out and taking all the photos I'd like of
the ones I've built but they should do fine. I'll put the instructions
in a couple of posts with photos. I've got them as a Word file at the
moment which is set out better than I'll manage in a post so if you want
a copy please tell me your email address and I'll gladly send you one.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Open now!

Old February 6th 04, 01:13 AM
andrew_carter

SANDWICH BOARDS

Sandwich boards are probably the most versatile trials unicycling
obstacle and are also very easy to make. They are light and portable,
and in my opinion one of the most important elements of a good trials
course.

_Materials_
20mm (or more) thick sheet of wood
35x70mm (or similar) planks
50mm long screws
2 solid hinges
Solid string or thin rope
Wood glue

_Building_Instructions_

1. Cut the sheet of wood into two identical bits that are preferrably
almost twice as wide as they are high. A standard size is about
250x400.
2. Cut the planks to the same width as the sheets.
3. Place one plank on the long side of the sheet (70mm face down), glue
it into place, then add at least 5 screws placed diagonally. Repeat for
the other sheet and plank.
4. Lay these pieces down flat, side by side with the planks together and
facing up, and separate them about 5mm (maybe less if you’re using a
smaller hinge).
5. Place the hinges slightly in from the sides and mark where each hole
is.
6. Screw the screws (usually provided with the hinge) in loosely
starting with the outer ones. Check the
alignment of the hinges and planks. Tighten each screw.
7. Drill two holes in each sheet in the two remaining bare corners.
Make the holes only slightly wider than the string you have chosen.
8. Open the sandwich board to your desired angle (around 60 degrees) and
feed the string through the holes. Tie knots on the outer side of each
hole making sure that the strings are equal in length.
9. Cut off excess string and lightly melt the strings at the cut and
also at the knot to prevent it from loosening.
10. Ride on your new sandwich board.

_Applications_
- Gapping between sandwich boards at various heights and angles
- Supports for planks and balance beams
- A unicycle stand for running suicide mounts
(see www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61)

| Attachment filename: sandwich.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/189712|

Old February 6th 04, 01:15 AM
andrew_carter

PRACTICE RAILS

The handy thing about this type of practice rail is that it’s very
portable. It allows you to move it around and also to change the length
of the rail. This design uses the narrow face of a 35x70mm plank as the
riding surface. It's not quite as challenging as a 2cm diameter round
railing, but it's narrow enough that the rider has to focus on staying
on top of the uni rather than moving the wheel side to side underneath
them...more of a moving stillstand.

This particular design is for a 5mx35mm rail that’s about 20cm above the
ground. These dimensions can be easily changed to suit your
preferences.

_Materials_
35x70mm (or similar) planks, one 5m long
60mm long screws
Wood glue

_Building_Instructions_

1. Cut the planks into the following pieces:
- 400mm pieces (4)
- 300mm pieces (6)
- 210mm pieces (10)
- 160mm pieces (3)
- 90mm pieces (2)
- 5000mm plank to ride along
2. Glue and screw together the pieces as in the diagram. Shown is the
end support. For the middle supports, use the 160mm pieces in place of
the 90mm pieces and have them extending all the way down. Also, attach
the two 300mm pieces to the sides of the middle supports (in place of
the 400mm pieces) so that they rest on the ground and face perpendicular
to the 5m rail (see final assembly picture).
3. Slightly sand or plane away the sides of the 5m rail where the
supports sit if necessary.
4. Place the two end supports and three middle supports on the ground in
a line and fit the 5m rail in the slots.
5. Give it a test ride.

-Note: The rail should sit approximately 20mm above the top of each
support. This allows an uninterrupted ride along the rail.-

_Applications_
This practice rail is perfect for improving your rail riding technique.
It is low to the ground so that you can build confidence in your skill
level and then move on to higher rails if you choose. Once you can ride
all the way along, practise riding it slower and slower. This will
force you to keep your balance longer and develop your still stands.

| Attachment filename: 001.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/189713|

Old February 6th 04, 02:25 AM
billham

Thanks for the instructions andrew.

I know someone will ask or need this, so here you are...
For those not familiar with metric dimensions...... 25.4 mm = 1 inch.
To convert andrew's metric dimensions into inches, divide them by 25.4

Bill

--
billham

Direction is everything, distance is secondary.
billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

Old February 6th 04, 03:18 PM
rusty

That looks great, please send the word-file to me

andersrustad (at) yahoo (doot) no

I can't wait to start building some trials structures to practise on.

--
rusty
rusty's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3601

Old February 6th 04, 10:04 PM
giocologgi

My grandpa is ready to work...

--
giocologgi - TALK LESS RIDE MORE

My onza hate me... He want my blood!
giocologgi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/579

Old February 6th 04, 10:25 PM
mango

Andrew, you are the man! that is so nice of you to do!

--
mango - unity - as 1 stand together

"I know I'd be willing to spend up to $20 for a set of strong nipples."
-andrew_carter

(sorry buddy, couldnt resist =)

mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

Old February 7th 04, 01:17 AM
andrew_carter

Thanks.

Rusty,
Hopefully that will get through to you.

Everyone,
It might be worth having a look over in the 'Rail riding training...'
thread at Sofa's excellent idea for two different width rails for this
design.

Andrew

Old February 9th 04, 02:35 AM
andrew_carter

HOPPING POSTS

These are particularly challenging to use and therefore good to practise
on because the landing surface is so small that the rider must
concentrate strongly on his or her balance in all directions. If you
land wrong on one of these (even if you don’t) it’s very easy for most
of us to lose balance.

_Materials_
35x70mm (or similar) planks
60mm long screws
Wood glue

_Building_Instructions_

1. Cut the planks into the following pieces:
- 500mm pieces (3)
- 300mm pieces (3)
2. At the midpoint of one of the 500mm pieces, cut out a 35mm wide
section that extends only half way across (see picture).
3. Repeat for one of the other 500mm pieces.
4. In the final 500mm piece, mark the midpoint and offset that line 35mm
in both directions. Offset these new lines another 35mm and cut out
similar sections as in step 2 between the outermost lines on each
side.
5. Place the two pieces from steps 2 and 3 in the slots you’ve cut so
that the two planks are perpendicular to the third one. The slots of
the connecting pieces should face each other to create a flush join 70mm
high when sittingo n the ground. This is just a test to see if the
slots have been appropriately cut.
6. Extend any slots that aren’t cut deep or wide enough.
7. Glue and screw together each of the three 300mm pieces and the 500mm
one as shown in the picture. Start by joining two together with one
raised 70mm. Then, join this to the piece with the two slots cut out of
it. Finally attach the last 300mm piece. Be careful not to place the
screws too close to each other. Note the screw positioning in the
pictures.
8. Finally, glue and screw the remaining 500mm pieces onto the third as
mentioned. You may also want to screw these two pieces to the middle
structure.
9. Allow the glue to dry before using the obstacle.

_Applications_

- Gapping onto and off in trials lines.
- Holding up narrow balance beams (with extra screws attached)

| Attachment filename: clipboard02.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/190165|

andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Open now!
* A friend of mine found us Magura HS-11's for about $80 AUD each second
hand...I'm getting a brake for my muni! *

Old March 26th 04, 09:54 AM
andrew_carter

Sorry to everyone else...I'm just bumping this thread back up so that
Sam sees it. He's wanted some info.

Andrew

--

New photos added 24/03 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61