WTB: Shimano cantilever brake cable setting tools (TL-CB10)

Old May 5th 11, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jay

Default WTB: Shimano cantilever brake cable setting tools (TL-CB10)

WTB: Shimano cantilever brake cable setting tools (TL-CB10)
Specifically I would like to find: the B/82; the C/107; & the E/84. I
think there may have been a 7th one, & if so I would like it also. I
would be happy to buy an entire set.
These were 6 or 7 various colored plastic jigs designed to make it
EZer to properly set up Shimano BR cantilever brake sets. But can used
to facilitate setting up other types of cantilever brake sets.
Thanks, JD
Old May 5th 11, 05:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd[_2_]

On May 4, 7:26*pm, jay wrote:
WTB: Shimano cantilever brake cable setting tools (TL-CB10)
Specifically I would like to find: the B/82; the C/107; & the E/84. I
think there may have been a 7th one, & if so I would like it also. I
would be happy to buy an entire set.
These were 6 or 7 various colored plastic jigs designed to make it
EZer to properly set up Shimano BR cantilever brake sets. But can used
to facilitate setting up other types of cantilever brake sets.
Thanks, JD

Biketoolsetc has them for a whopping $6:

http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id..._id=SH-TL-CB10

Unfortunately, they appear to only have the ones for the A73, D93 and
S63. Good Luck!
Old May 5th 11, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

jay wrote:

WTB: Shimano cantilever brake cable setting tools (TL-CB10)
Specifically I would like to find: the B/82; the C/107; & the E/84. I
think there may have been a 7th one, & if so I would like it also. I
would be happy to buy an entire set.
These were 6 or 7 various colored plastic jigs designed to make it
EZer to properly set up Shimano BR cantilever brake sets. But can used
to facilitate setting up other types of cantilever brake sets.

Wouldn't it be easier to just learn the underlying principles and set
the brakes up accordingly? I have a set of those things somewhere
(which I am not interested in finding or selling), but I think they
are more trouble than they are worth.

Not all levers pull the same gross amount of cable or have the same
mechanical advantage, so no single straddle angle is ideal for any one
cantilever brake. Nor is the same straddle angle ideal for both front
and rear brakes, even with identical arms and levers. The tool you
have to use is your brain.

Old May 5th 11, 06:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

Chalo wrote:
jay wrote:

[...]

I don't intend this as a reflection on jay, but Chalo's comment about tool
and brain reminded me of a TV show following some army recruits through
training. After removing one of the road wheels from a tank, one recruit
asked how the replacement went on. The crusty sergeant said,"That takes a
common sense tool; you may not have been issued one yet."
Kerry

Old May 5th 11, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jay

On May 4, 10:19*pm, "Kerry Montgomery" wrote:
Chalo wrote:
jay wrote:

[...]

Hello Kerry & Chalo
I have no idea if using the TL-CB10s is or isn't common sense. I have
a great deal of respect for Chalo & his thoughts. I believe I
understand the geometry behind optimum cantilever set up. I admit that
it is entirely possible the TL-CB10s are a hindrance to efficiently
achieving this goal, but I want to try to use them to this end & find
out for my self if they are a help or not. They are not that
expensive.
I love research, so if a member of this group has a complete or
partial group containing the missing pieces, they are willing to sell
me, I would appreciate it very much, JD