Shopping GPS/Heart Rate Monitor

Old June 19th 11, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default Shopping GPS/Heart Rate Monitor

As a probably useless datum, I accidentally ran my Garin Edge 205
through the washing machine and it survived intact, with noticeable
effect.

--
Joe Riel
Old June 20th 11, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Jun 19, 1:47*pm, Joe Riel wrote:
Joe Riel writes:
As a probably useless datum, I accidentally ran my Garin Edge 205
through the washing machine and it survived intact, with noticeable
effect.

Missed a "no", should be "with *no* noticeable effect".

--
Joe Riel

AW THAT'S NO BIG DEAL...

dropped my 76Csx off an 80' bridge. Csx hit the abutments bottom edge,
caromed off into flood water. I went back 38 days later when water
level dropped, waded out and fished the Csx back to safety, still goin
strong.
Old June 20th 11, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Joe Riel writes:
As a probably useless datum, I accidentally ran my Garin Edge 205
through the washing machine and it survived intact, with noticeable
effect.

Missed a "no", should be "with *no* noticeable effect".

--
Joe Riel

AW THAT'S NO BIG DEAL...

dropped my 76Csx off an 80' bridge. Csx hit the abutments bottom edge,
caromed off into flood water. I went back 38 days later when water
level dropped, waded out and fished the Csx back to safety, still goin
strong.

Then there's the ice fisherman dropped his Gramin into the hole. A
year later the State drained the lake to find a body and found the
Gramin still goin strong clutched in the hand of guess what ?. You
can take your Gramin with you !
Old June 20th 11, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

now Davey, who once worked for Cambell Soups, brought his Garmin in
for show and tell at coffee break.
However, during a slack time on the catwalk above the French Onion
Kettle, said Garmin slipped and fell into the boiling soup.

The splash as seen by security TV and the kettle's effulgence was
carefuly strsined before canning.

THE GARMIN WAS NOT FOUND ! canning went on as usual.

The soup was good and tasty, healthful.

The cans had a definite tendency to point 7 degrees off true north
when tipped over.

Old June 22nd 11, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jun 19, 4:47*am, kolldata wrote:
http://www.jr.com/product/productLis...monitorhttp://....

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Catalog...oreId=10053&ca....

know how to use it ? record rate after ex, one hour after ect, before
sleep rate.
Check rate BEFORE rising, one hour after, before and after eating.

Heart should recover over not record a slower rate than the previous
days rate BEFORE ex.

If the rate gets slower, the ex was destructive.

I would imagine online geek guiding is available

I have an Nbar $37 Polar, no prob.

Ahh, training by heartrate, how quaint. You missed the bit about
recording HR immediately after rising over a ten second spell and
ensuring it is within 10 counts of the lying positition before doing a
work day. Oh yes and forget about earning a living doing manual
work. BTW a nurses fob watch is best for these morning tests.
Alternatively use an automatic blood pressure monitor (cos they're
cheap, and it gives you a history should you become ill). That'll
give you something else to dawdle over.
Old June 22nd 11, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jun 19, 6:31*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Jeff Liebermann:

or they're lying about it being waterproof.

My experience has been that there are "Waterproof" devices and
devices "Guaranteed Waterproof".

The second class happens when the manufacturer concludes that
profit from additional sales from touting "Waterproof" will
exceed the cost of replacing devices that were returned.

I had a Garmin GPS that seemed tb in this category. *"Guaranteed
Waterproof"... but I had three replace because the screens came
up with condensation on the inside just from having water dripped
on them.

The ForeRunner 301 is actually waterproof in the sense that you
can immerse it and water will not penetrate. * The joker is that
if you immerse it in salt water, the USB port's contacts will
corrode and the device will be come unusable.

Actually, I can live without waterproof. *It's a Nice-To-Have,
but there are plenty of bags that will do the job dependably for
20-30 dollars.
--
PeteCresswell

If it hasn't got a rubber plug, can't you pull one from somewhere else?
Old June 23rd 11, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 10:17:03 -0700 (PDT), yirgster
wrote:

When I looked into various gps apps for my android phone, probably six
or nine months ago, the reviews said--at least some of them--that
there was considerable battery drain. This wouldn't have worked for
me on my long rides.
Is this correct? Not correct? Depends? Or ???

I don't know about Android, but the GPS in my iPhone 3G is a major
battery killer. I use mapping applications from:
http://www.motionx.com
If I leave the display on (long timeout), and the GPS running full
time (so I can watch the display instead of the road, traffic, cars,
scenery, etc), the battery is dead in about an hour. However, if I
setup the GPS to only turn on every 10 mins or so, and let the iPhone
go into standby, unless I need it, it will run for about 6 hrs. For
turn-by-turn navigation, it should be powered by an external power
source or additional battery pack, or the battery will soon be
drained.
http://www.motionx.com/faq/support/gps/load.php?FAQLOAD=10
http://www.motionx.com/faq/support/drive/load.php?FAQLOAD=14#s12q8
There are various tricks and technologies for extending the battery
life, but the best is leave it in standby mode when you're not using
it.

ANT+ also appears to be a battery drain problem. The iPhone (and
probably Android) cannot collect sensor data when in standby.
Fortunately, ANT+ has a sleep mode, where it can wake up at regular
intervals, grab some numbers, and go back to sleep. Therefore, the
battery life is heavily dependent on how often the data is sampled.
See:
http://support.mapmyfitness.com/mapmyfitness/topics/iphone_app_ant_battery_life_and_data_accuracy
for a clue. One app drained the battery in 38 miles. An external
source might be necessary for long rides.

I hesitate to suggest an external data logger and external Bluetooth
GPS, as the complexity defeats the benefits of having everything in
one package. (Note: I have not tried iPhone ANT+ or its apps).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 23rd 11, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 6/23/2011 2:08 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

ANT+ also appears to be a battery drain problem. The iPhone (and
probably Android) cannot collect sensor data when in standby.
Fortunately, ANT+ has a sleep mode, where it can wake up at regular
intervals, grab some numbers, and go back to sleep. Therefore, the
battery life is heavily dependent on how often the data is sampled.
See:
http://support.mapmyfitness.com/mapmyfitness/topics/iphone_app_ant_battery_life_and_data_accuracy
for a clue. One app drained the battery in 38 miles. An external
source might be necessary for long rides.

The iPhone 4 is better with this. I use a MapMyRide app to record my
trips. I did a ~100k trip last Sunday and my phone was at ~75% when I
finished (a little less than 4 hours.) The phone was tucked in my bag
and the display was off though. In comparison, my friend's iPhone 3 was
nearly dead at the end of the ride. Not sure how this applies to
Android phones though.
Old June 23rd 11, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jay

On Jun 19, 11:26*am, Joe Riel wrote:
As a probably useless datum, I accidentally ran my Garin Edge 205
through the washing machine and it survived intact, with noticeable
effect.

--
Joe Riel

with noticeable effect.

noticeable effect sure caught my interest.
Could U elaborate a little please? JD
Old June 23rd 11, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jay

Joe Riel writes:
As a probably useless datum, I accidentally ran my Garin Edge 205
through the washing machine and it survived intact, with noticeable
effect.

Missed a "no", should be "with *no* noticeable effect".

--
Joe Riel

Sorry I should have read further, JD

Heart rate monitor? John Burns UK 2 October 20th 07 09:39 PM
How does a heart rate monitor pickup my heart beat and transmits? [email protected] UK 1 February 14th 06 05:02 PM
How does a heart rate monitor pickup the heart bear and transmit? [email protected] UK 1 February 14th 06 04:41 PM
FS: heart rate monitor Charles Stickle Marketplace 0 August 26th 04 09:32 PM
Help With Heart Rate Monitor slartibartfast Techniques 2 August 26th 04 08:09 PM