campy harder to shift then shimano?

Old October 27th 03, 01:15 AM
Steve Knight

Default campy harder to shift then shimano?

the reason I am asking is the fellow who built my bike (a bike messenger) put
on a shimano 800 rd over a campy because it took less effort to shift (using
sacks ergo shifters)
the cluster is campy but has shimano spacers. but I wanted to go up to bigger
sprocket 28t verses the 23 on there now. the shimano 600 rd has a bent arm that
was bent back but I would like to replace it. I have a campy chorus rd handy.
so when I get the new cluster I want to know if I should leave it campy and use
the campy rd or get another shimano and use the spacers from the old cluster.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 27th 03, 01:19 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

steve- the reason I am asking is the fellow who built my bike (a bike
messenger) put
on a shimano 800 rd over a campy because it took less effort to shift (using
sacks ergo shifters) BRBR

Sachs ERGO are shimano rear der compatible only...Switching spacers won't make
them work with a Campagnolo rear der, need to change the shift disc to a
Campagnolo compatible one.

BUT with decent housing and inner wire, ERFGO, whether Sachs/shimano or
Campagnolo should 'feel' the same.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old October 27th 03, 06:41 PM
jim beam

high end shimano cable is finished with an external die draw - campy is
not. that /should/ make shimano smoother.

Old October 28th 03, 04:15 AM
Steve Knight

Sachs ERGO are shimano rear der compatible only...Switching spacers won't make
them work with a Campagnolo rear der, need to change the shift disc to a
Campagnolo compatible one.

BUT with decent housing and inner wire, ERFGO, whether Sachs/shimano or
Campagnolo should 'feel' the same.

even though they are pretty much campy in design? go figure.
I don't mind using shimano now that I know. I just have to make sure to
replace the spacers on the cogset.
now I want to get a 27 or 28t cogset. what decent shimano RD should I get? I
have a 600 right now bit it is a bit bent so it could use a replacement.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 30th 03, 12:25 AM
Cipher

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use Shimano shift cables
with a Campy system (Shimano cables slightly thinner?) and not
vice-versa?!?

--
"Know your limits... Then FK'N Crush'em!!!"

Old October 30th 03, 01:24 AM
Mike S.

"Cipher" wrote in message
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use Shimano shift cables
with a Campy system (Shimano cables slightly thinner?) and not
vice-versa?!?

I've found that you have to file away some of the ends to get Shimano cables
to fit Campy shifters. A little go-round with the Dremel and you're good to
go.

Mike

Old October 30th 03, 01:35 AM
Steven L. Sheffield

On 10/29/2003 05:25 PM, in article ,
"Cipher" wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use Shimano shift cables
with a Campy system (Shimano cables slightly thinner?) and not
vice-versa?!?

Other way around ... The head of a Shimano shifter cable is slightly larger
.... And can get wedged in a Campy shifter.

--
"Know your limits... Then FK'N Crush'em!!!"

Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com
veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee why you ti ay aitch
double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash