Tire Failure

Old January 13th 04, 05:12 AM
A Muzi

Default Tire Failure

agribob-
Recently had a sidewall failure on a Continental 700 x 28 Gatorskin
tire.
Mounted once and only once on a Weiman Concave rim it blew at less than 350
miles.

dianne_1234 wrote:
No one's mentioned it yet, and I'm not sure it's important, but isn't
the Weinmann Concave one of those rims *without* hooks?

You make a good point:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/WEINRIMS.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old January 13th 04, 05:41 AM
Carl Fogel

"psycholist" wrote in message ...

[snip]

I also got sick of those little threads peeling off the bead area with the
contis. Sometimes I'd find them wrapped all up in my hubs. Don't know if
they still have that aggravating problem.

Bob C.

Dear Bob,

I had the same annoying-little-thread-peeling
problem on low-end Continental tires.

I haven't noticed it on other brands, but I'm
curious whether it is (or was) just a Continental
problem.

Carl Fogel
Old January 13th 04, 11:18 AM
Callistus Valerius

I had the same annoying-little-thread-peeling
problem on low-end Continental tires.

I haven't noticed it on other brands, but I'm
curious whether it is (or was) just a Continental
problem.

I had more strange failures with conti's than any other brand.

Old January 13th 04, 09:46 PM
Zog The Undeniable

AGRIBOB wrote:

Recently had a sidewall failure on a Continental 700 x 28 Gatorskin tire.
Mounted once and only once on a Weiman Concave rim it blew at less than 350
miles. The sidewall suffered an inch and a quarter "cut" right next to the
wire bead. The tire material surrounded the inside of the bead but the bead
could be observed from the tire side.

This was on the rear of our tandem. We are a big team 400+ pounds. Tire was
allways inflated to 120 psi and topped off to 120 psi with a borrowed floor
pump the previous day. Two days before we had done a 7% ten mile long descent.
Stopped half way down and felt the rims. The front was only warm to the
touch, could have continued finger contact indefinately. The rear did not feel
warm at all.

The failure was near the valve thus I had not used tire irons in the damaged
area to mount the tire.

When the tire failed we were coasting down a very smooth newly paved road. I am
not aware of us hitting anything there or anywhere else that would have
damaged the tire.

Didn't fall but we often go MUCH faster so this incident is disconcerting. Was
it the tire, the rim, the pressure, the heat? All insights will be
appreciated.

Do you get flints where you live? I've seen a couple of tyres -
including a Conti GP - ruined by them. One flint can slash a sidewall
for 2-3 inches - those Stone Age dudes knew what they were doing when
they were making cutlery!

Tire damage Roger Zoul General 0 May 4th 04 10:27 PM
Flat Tire Repair Question from MB Newbie Sorni Mountain Biking 43 August 29th 03 01:14 PM
Tire Wear AndresMuro Techniques 0 July 9th 03 02:02 PM