Chas Roberts in Croydon

Old September 24th 03, 10:39 PM
Kenneth Clements

Default Chas Roberts in Croydon

"Richard Hare" wrote in message
Hi

Has anyone had any dealing with Chas Roberts bikes in Croydon recently? I
ask as I ordered a bike there in February and am still yet to receive it.

was led to believe that these bikes are about as good as a steel frame

bike
can get, so I ordered a Rough Stuff with a Rohloff hub. The salesman, a

guy
called Andrew had trouble locating the dropouts for this hub and it

wasn't
till July that he eventually got hold of them. I can understand that
problems like this can occur, but for some reason and despite many phone
calls on my part, he has continually failed to send me a finalized spec

and
build the bike. I just don't understand why each time I call he promises

get the bike finished in x number of weeks/days and each time he fails
without even bothering to contact me. I have now had to resort to writing
to the company and even letters have gone unreplied.

I am now at the point where I can't trust anything I am told by the

company
and to be honest I would prefer to have my £400 deposit back and go
elsewhere!

I'd like to know if anyone with experience of dealing with the company

shed
any light on this? Are they always so slap dash with their customer
relations? Or is it just this salesman. Or maybe it's me, quaintly
expecting people in an established and respected business not to behave
like dodgy second hand car dealers!
Regards

Rik

I have a Roberts road bike 4 years old. I spent ages planning the spec
but the saddle was not the exact one I wanted and the wrong handlebars were
fitted.
They fitted the correct bars immediately but I accepted the saddle.
The bike fits like a glove and rides like a dream. The frames are great but
you have to watch them on the details.
I would buy from them again their bikes are worth a little bit of hassle.

Ken.

Old September 25th 03, 12:55 AM
AndyMorris

Richard Hare" richardhare@"nospam wrote:

I'd like to know if anyone with experience of dealing with the
company shed any light on this? Are they always so slap dash with
their customer relations? Or is it just this salesman. Or maybe it's
me, quaintly expecting people in an established and respected
business not to behave like dodgy second hand car dealers!
Regards

Rik

Its the cycle trade. The best cycle shops are owned and run by people wjo
love bikes and cycling but have no head for business. You have to have no
head for buisness as theres bugger all money to be made in it if you love
bikes and cycling.

I was in it for 7 years or so.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Old September 25th 03, 07:35 AM
Richard Hare

Ken
I know, I spent a long time deciding what spec I wanted and talking to other
cyclists about the best frame builders to complete this spec, and to be
honest I am prepared to put with a fare bit of hassle when looking to get
hold of my dream bike, I'd even be prepared to wait as long as I have
(since February 1st) but I'm less prepared to put up with people who
promise they'll supply something just to get me off the phone and then can'
t be bothered to contact me when things go off schedule.

Rik

Old September 25th 03, 08:58 AM
Peter Connolly

I'm less prepared to put up with people who
promise they'll supply something just to get me off the phone and then

can'
t be bothered to contact me when things go off schedule.

Rik

Rik,

I totally agree with you; I've never dealt with Chas Roberts, but when I've
had similar problems with other suppliers (in several industries, not just
cycling!), my initial approach to the top people has been 'I will deal with
your company, but I won't deal with that person'. If the second person has
the same attitude, then I have to go somewhere else, but it rarely comes to
that. I can understand things being late, but I can't understand
unprofessionalism.

Regards,

Pete.

Old September 25th 03, 12:37 PM
Sue Rogers

In article ,
"Richard Hare" wrote:

Hi

Has anyone had any dealing with Chas Roberts bikes in Croydon recently?

Not recently (8 years ago for my touring bike which is superb) but a
friend's friend recently ordered from them on my recommendation about 3
months ago. He got his touring bike built and delivered to his spec
very quickly and is over the moon with it.

I'd phone and speak to Chas himself to get the problem sorted pronto.
They're a nice bunch of guys and they build terrific bikes. Persevere
with it, you'll be really glad you did once you've got the bike.