acceleration unicycle

Old August 14th 04, 09:04 AM
janklaasclaeys

Default acceleration unicycle

Hi all,

I'd like to ride long distances, over hills and colls...

My question: is it possible to get this
...[image:
http://www.fridrichdesign.com/photog.../huret13D.jpg]

(I don't know the word in English )

on a unicycle?

Janklaas Claeys, www.janklaasclaeys.circusplanet.net

--
janklaasclaeys - www.circusplanet.net

9 octobre -- CIRCUSPLANET MEETING GOES (NL)

more information: www.circusplanet.net/meetings
janklaasclaeys's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3219

Old August 14th 04, 09:55 AM
andrew_carter

I don't know of any unicycles with 'derailleurs'. The problem is that
on a unicycle you need to be able to put pressure backwards to correct
your balance and even without a freewheel mechanism you have to keep the
chain tight so it doesn't slip on the chainrings. Well that's my
understanding anyway.

Do a little search (click on 'search' at the top right of the page) for
'uni.5' or 'geared hub' or 'schlumph' for info about alternatives.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

Old August 14th 04, 10:47 AM
Mikefule

The answer to the question is "no", but it is the wrong question!

So far there is no system for changing gear ona unicycle while you are
riding it, and there are various technical reasons why it is unlikely
that such a device will ever be made. There are one or two people
making unicycles with 2 gears, but you have to stop and get off to
change.

However, why ride a unicycle, but go to all that trouble to make it more
like a bicycle? Why not ride a unicycle but add a front wheel and
handlebars? :0)

The whole point of a unicycle is its simplicity, and the need to cope
with the compromises. You choose a wheel size, a tyre, a set of cranks,
and then make the most of the set up that you have chosen. You can
choose wheels from about 16 inches to 36 inches, and cranks from about 4
inches to about 7 inches. There is a huge variety.

Then you just ride. That's the whole point. I've ridden 20 miles on a
20 inch, 24 on a 24, 30+ on a 28, and 50+ on a 36 inch wheel. Some
people who write in this forum ride 50 - 100 miles in a day, over
mountains and cross country. Look for threads with the words ëpic"and
"Coker" in them. You will be amazed and inspired.

People have ridden across America on 24 inch basic unicycles.

It sounds like you haven't tried long distance unicycling yet, but you
already want to find a way of improving it. That's the wrong approach.
Buy a 24 inch unicycle and get the miles in. It is a very special
method of transport - faster than walking, slower than bicycling, more
challenging than either. You get to see the scenery, the wildlife, and
meet people. You get fit, you enjoy it, and you get a great feeling of
achievement.

Read a few threads, look at a few galleries, and see what can be done
without a derailleur! ;0)

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Everyone should be fatuous for 15 minutes.

Old August 14th 04, 11:46 AM
andrew_carter

So far there is no system for changing gear ona unicycle while you are
riding it

Have you read about the adaptation of the Schlumph hub? That design
allows you to change gears on the fly by kicking a little nub (much like
the old KH cranks) with your ankle. I believe they're also considering
adding some sort of lever under the seat or something along those lines
to their design. There's a little bit of info on their site. I just
realised I've been spelling it wrong...

http://www.schlumpf.ch/

Andrew

Old August 17th 04, 04:31 AM
Ken Cline

The whole point of a unicycle is its simplicity

[begin rant]

You unicyclists makke me sick! Simplicity? I don't think so. Lah di
dah, look at me sitting down while I ride. On a saddle. With a
handle. And a frame with bearings, no less. Maybe even a trip
computer.

If you want to argue that simplicity is the way to go, ride an
ultimate wheel and show the rest of us the one true way (with
apologies to BC wheel purists). Otherwise, why not let people have
fun riding what they like and thinking up new challenges, whether
technical or physical.

Ken

Old August 17th 04, 07:25 AM
Mikefule

If you want to argue that simplicity is the way to go, then walk naked
and barefoot.

I have an ultimate wheel, on which I am not particularly good.

I agree with your basic point that it's up to each rider to choose
his/her own level of simplicity or complexity. However, I do maintain
that if you try to make a unicycle too much like a bicycle (shiftable
gears, for example) you are in danger of missing the point. It would be
like having a motorcycle with a roof, windscreen wipers and two extra
wheels for stability.

Old August 17th 04, 07:25 AM
Mikefule

If you want to argue that simplicity is the way to go, then walk naked
and barefoot.

I have an ultimate wheel, on which I am not particularly good.

I agree with your basic point that it's up to each rider to choose
his/her own level of simplicity or complexity. However, I do maintain
that if you try to make a unicycle too much like a bicycle (shiftable
gears, for example) you are in danger of missing the point. It would be
like having a motorcycle with a roof, windscreen wipers and two extra
wheels for stability.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Everyone should be fatuous for 15 minutes.

surfing on a unicycle, tips and tricks... paulie pavlic Unicycling 10 November 15th 03 10:38 PM
NZ Unicycle Weekend GizmoDuck Unicycling 6 November 3rd 03 07:37 AM
New Unicycle types! XWonka Unicycling 16 October 15th 03 08:54 PM
My first unicycle showard Unicycling 1 October 3rd 03 06:20 AM