Sherer USA TLT Torque lever recumbent trike

Old August 23rd 05, 09:02 PM
Rusty Bucket Bent Triker

Default Sherer USA TLT Torque lever recumbent trike

The design doesn't really appear to be all that revolutionary. The
levers pull cables or rods that in turn rotate a sprocket for the chain
drive. The only apparent advantage is the longer arms on the levers
than you can normally get in a crank set. That could be enough to
provide improved results such as higher speed and/or less effort for
similar results.

I too am looking forward to seeing the video.

Just a side note, often better designs are ignored in favor of poorer
ones due to better marketing (for example, beta versus vhs format for
videos) or sheer momentum of the existing marketplace that wouldn't
want to retool to incorporate the better design (for example, more fuel
efficient or alternative fuel automobiles).

So rather than shoot this down, I'll be interested to see the video. I
may even buy one if the video is compelling enough.

--Russ

Jeff Grippe wrote:
I forgot all about Johnny.

I'll add to this topic when I get the video. I can't imagine a breakthrough
of such a degree that it hadn't already been thought of. I can keep a bit of
an open mind for the time-being.

Most of the money that they want for this thing goes for the frame and
components. I priced out a Teesdale trike that would have cost me in the
$2,500 range buying it directly from Teesdale.

Jeff
"HHS" wrote in message
news

"Jeff Grippe" jeff@door7 wrote in message
Teesdale only makes the frame and he is actually a well known frame
maker. I'll let you know when I get the video. Is anyone reading this
thread from Iowa? If you are you could probably arrange a test ride.

Jeff
"HHS" wrote in message
I think if this was the fastest trike on earth we would already know
about it and Mr. Teesdale wouldn't have to be telling us. I would ask
Mr. Teesdale to back up his claim with HPV records. Personally, I think
he just made the claim up with absolutely no basis in fact.

The Sherer sets off my BS alarm big time. When that happens I don't
exactly rush out and buy the product.

"Jeff Grippe" jeff@door7 wrote in message
Has anyone heard of this thing? They make some awesome claims (although
people selling things often do!)

Check out the web site for detail and I'd love to hear any opinions or
real knowledge about this thing.

www.SHERERUSA.com

Jeff

Maybe a $10,000.00 winner take all match race would be in order between
JohnnyNoCom and the Sherer rider who is able to ride this 38 lb. tricycle
at 45 mph on flat land.

You would think the person who designed the Fastest Trike on Earth [maybe
even the known universe] would be smart enough to use a spell checker on
their one page web site.

Old August 23rd 05, 09:49 PM
Jeff Grippe

I agree with what you've said. I like to keep an open mind. I'd love to see
something that could go up hill at the kind of speeds that he's claiming.

The good news with this trike is that the only part that would need to be
replaced to turn it into a conventional trike would be the front boom (along
with chain rings, etc.). It is mostly a standard Tom Teesdale trike frame
which is built to Greenspeed specs.

Jeff
ups.com...

Old August 23rd 05, 11:42 PM
bent_pilot

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
[...]

much SNIPPAGE

If you are supposed to pedal by using the top ends of the lever arms to gain
huge leverage, it looks like a VERY poor ergo set-up for a human to use for
pedalling. You would be WAY outside of optimum power posture. I hope
Teesdale collected his costs up front for the fabrications of this
monstrosity.

Old August 24th 05, 02:56 AM
Al Luminium

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
I agree with what you've said. I like to keep an open mind. I'd love to see
something that could go up hill at the kind of speeds that he's claiming.

The good news with this trike is that the only part that would need to be
replaced to turn it into a conventional trike would be the front boom
(along with chain rings, etc.). It is mostly a standard Tom Teesdale trike
frame which is built to Greenspeed specs.

snip

I don't think this will work Jeff. The front tube angles down from the cross
tubes, so that if you replaced the boom parts, the bottom bracket would be
too low for crank arms and clearence or your heels.

Al L.

Old August 24th 05, 03:20 AM
Jeff Wills

It's not revolutionary, not by a long shot. Lever drives have been
tried over and over again since the '70's... the *18*70's. None have
come close to equalling the performance of conventional rotary cranks,
the claims on the website notwithstanding.

If lever or linear drive provided some advantage, you'd expect HPV
racers (who have no rules regarding drive systems) to be using them. As
far as I've seen, *all* of the fastest human-powered vehicles use
conventional rotary cranks, even when this means compromising the
design of the vehicle to accomodate the cranks.

Old August 24th 05, 11:42 AM
Jeff Grippe

I think you are probably right. I'm not rushing out to buy one. I am still
curious to see the video and if I lived close enough to test ride one, I
would.

I also find it impossible to believe that there is a mechanical technology
available that is so much better (or even better at all) than what we are
using.

If the system had two cables per pedal to take advantage of both the
concentric and eccentric muscle movements then I might think he was on to
something. I know that pedals and clips are supposed to give you the ability
to work in all directions but I've never been good at doing it. A lever
system that forced you to work in both directions could produce greater
speed but that greater speed would come with greater effort.

The claim on this web site is greater speed with the same effort. It seems
to defy the laws of physics.

Jeff

ups.com...

Old August 24th 05, 01:04 PM
Ohio Jerry

"Jeff Grippe" jeff@door7 wrote in message
== snip ==

The claim on this web site is greater speed with the same effort. It seems
to defy the laws of physics.

Jeff

I think you nailed it here, Jeff. Whether you use levers or cranks to
transfer power from man to machine shouldn't make much difference in the
long run. It still would take the same amount of power to move the machine
at a given speed. If a person could move this thing 40 MPH steadily, on the
flat, with levers, he could probably do it with cranks, too.

However, since the levers operate independently, it is possible to push both
at the same time. It might be possible to get up to 25 or 30 MPH pushing the
levers alternately, then give one or two humungous heaves with both legs at
once and hit a 40 MPH peak. That is if the back wheel doesn't lose traction
and you don't punch through the seat into the back tire. But to keep this up
steadily--I don't think so. Maybe Lance.... ;-)

Jerry

Old August 24th 05, 02:26 PM
Jon Meinecke

"Ohio Jerry" wrote

"Jeff Grippe" jeff@door7 wrote

The claim on this web site is greater speed with the same effort. It

seems
to defy the laws of physics.

"Scottie, I need WARP power in three minutes or we're dead."
%^)

I think you nailed it here, Jeff. Whether you use levers or cranks to
transfer power from man to machine shouldn't make much difference in the
long run.

If the drive train were more efficient (less losses) or the
human power input interface (levers, cranks) were more
efficient (more ergonomic, recruiting more muscles, less
losses), then the laws of physics could be obeyed and
one design might be faster than another.

As others have suggested, if a human power input interface
equal or better than cranks were developed (and many
have tried), it would likely appear in the fully faired 80+
mph HPV racers where dealing with crank and foot
clearance seems to be one of the limiting factors for
more aerodynamic enclosures.

Jon Meinecke

Old September 6th 05, 01:48 AM
Jeff Grippe

They have put a video of the trike on the web site although you can't see
much more than you can with the static picture.

It looks like it has a lot of pedal steer.

Other opinions?

http://www.shererusa.com/page5.html

"Jeff Grippe" jeff@door7 wrote in message
Has anyone heard of this thing? They make some awesome claims (although
people selling things often do!)

Check out the web site for detail and I'd love to hear any opinions or
real knowledge about this thing.

www.SHERERUSA.com

Jeff

FS: recumbent trike, Trailmate Fun Cycle Bob Parnass Recumbent Biking 1 August 15th 05 02:21 AM
No-frills recumbent trike for disabled son bfrey General 21 March 22nd 05 06:27 AM
Easton EA70 stem AC Techniques 10 November 17th 04 07:00 AM
Taking a recumbent trike tandem on the Trans-Pennine Trail? Richard Corfield UK 11 September 11th 03 09:29 PM