We're from the government. We're here to help you.

Old September 16th 19, 01:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default We're from the government. We're here to help you.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...zze-story.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 16th 19, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/16/2019 8:28 AM, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...zze-story.html

Mandatory licenses and mandatory helmets: I'm amazed at how often those
failed ideas still come up.

Enforcing bike traffic laws: Yes, I think some reasonable enforcement is
needed. I think that every time a wrong-way cyclist is headed for me.
But the details are not simple. And NYC has made some tone deaf moves,
like super-strict sting operations against bicyclists after a cyclist is
killed by _motorist_ mistakes or violations.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 17th 19, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, 16 September 2019 12:12:46 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/16/2019 8:28 AM, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...zze-story.html

Mandatory licenses and mandatory helmets: I'm amazed at how often those
failed ideas still come up.

Enforcing bike traffic laws: Yes, I think some reasonable enforcement is
needed. I think that every time a wrong-way cyclist is headed for me.
But the details are not simple. And NYC has made some tone deaf moves,
like super-strict sting operations against bicyclists after a cyclist is
killed by _motorist_ mistakes or violations.

--
- Frank Krygowski

A lot of non-bicyclists want bicyclists to be licensed so that enforcement can be easier when a bicyclist rides away after an incident. The time in Hamilton, Ontario when I struck a bicyclist who zoomed out of a blind corner side one-street whilst riding in the wrong direction, would have been a nice time to have been able to identify that bicyclist since the collision wrecked my frame. Fortunately I was able to pull the front fork forward enough to get the front wheel to miss the downtube when steering. I did have to take it quite slow though to be safe. Ditto when a bicyclist hits a pedestrian especially when the bicyclist is riding on the sidewalk at speed when they strike the pedestrian.

It's idiots like those two examples that in large part drive the demand for bicycle licenses.

Cheers
Old September 18th 19, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/17/2019 5:06 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I understand the frustration and resulting motivation to find a
solution. I don't understand how anybody can think that solution will
work. It's been tried many, many times and (almost?) always given up.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 18th 19, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 7:33:58 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

It is impossible to license bicycles since there's really no place to put them on a bike. They would have to be VISIBLE.