Boris bike cyclist dies in crash

Old July 6th 13, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Boris bike cyclist dies in crash

Transport for London said it was the first fatality involving a "Boris bike"
since the scheme started in 2010.

(so no remorse from them)

http://londonist.com/2013/07/cyclist...boris-bike.php

Old July 6th 13, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 06/07/2013 12:02, Mrcheerful wrote:
Transport for London said it was the first fatality involving a "Boris bike"
since the scheme started in 2010.

(so no remorse from them)

http://londonist.com/2013/07/cyclist...boris-bike.php

Why should there be any remorse?

You wouldn't expect breast-beating from Mr Hertz if a hire-car was
involved in a fatac.
Old July 6th 13, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

JNugent wrote:
On 06/07/2013 12:02, Mrcheerful wrote:
Transport for London said it was the first fatality involving a
"Boris bike" since the scheme started in 2010.

(so no remorse from them)

http://londonist.com/2013/07/cyclist...boris-bike.php

Why should there be any remorse?

You wouldn't expect breast-beating from Mr Hertz if a hire-car was
involved in a fatac.

I thought it was the sort of comment a cyclist should make. Of course, I
should have said my thoughts are with her family.

The truth is that letting a young untrained , probably inexperienced child
onto an unfamiliar heavy bicycle in London traffic is a bloody stupid idea
and the fact that it can legally be done is pants. I do feel that TFL are
responsible to a large degree.

Old July 6th 13, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_10_]

"JNugent" wrote in message ...

On 06/07/2013 12:02, Mrcheerful wrote:
Transport for London said it was the first fatality involving a "Boris
bike"
since the scheme started in 2010.

(so no remorse from them)

http://londonist.com/2013/07/cyclist...boris-bike.php

Why should there be any remorse?

You wouldn't expect breast-beating from Mr Hertz if a hire-car was
involved in a fatac.

No, but then again Mr. Hertz would have checked that she had passed a test
of competence, made sure she was insured and would put all his vehicles
through at least a yearly independent check to ensure they are safe. All
before letting her loose on the roads.

Old July 6th 13, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 12:02:07 +0100, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:

Transport for London said it was the first fatality involving a "Boris bike"
since the scheme started in 2010.

(so no remorse from them)

http://londonist.com/2013/07/cyclist...boris-bike.php

TfL's Leon Daniels said: "Our thoughts go out to the friends and family of the
female cyclist who tragically died following a collision with a heavy goods
vehicle on Whitechapel High Street.

Indeed.

Old July 6th 13, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Boris bike cyclist dies in crash - where?

On 06/07/2013 13:04, Partac wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message ...
Mrcheerful wrote:

Transport for London said it was the first fatality involving a "Boris
bike" since the scheme started in 2010.

(so no remorse from them)

http://londonist.com/2013/07/cyclist...boris-bike.php

Why should there be any remorse?
You wouldn't expect breast-beating from Mr Hertz if a hire-car was
involved in a fatac.

No, but then again Mr. Hertz would have checked that she had passed a
test of competence, made sure she was insured and would put all his
vehicles through at least a yearly independent check to ensure they are
safe. All before letting her loose on the roads.

A bit more, from the BBC story:

QUOTE:
A cyclist riding a "Boris bike" has died after a crash involving a lorry
in east London.
The 20-year-old woman was struck by the lorry on Barclays Cycle
Superhighway 2 outside Aldgate East station at 18:30 BST on Friday.
ENDQUOTE

By "Barclays Cycle Superhighway 2", do they mean Whitechapel High Street?

Or has the name been officially changed?
Old July 6th 13, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 06/07/2013 19:57, JNugent wrote:

A bit more, from the BBC story:

QUOTE:
A cyclist riding a "Boris bike" has died after a crash involving a lorry
in east London.
The 20-year-old woman was struck by the lorry on Barclays Cycle
Superhighway 2 outside Aldgate East station at 18:30 BST on Friday.
ENDQUOTE

By "Barclays Cycle Superhighway 2", do they mean Whitechapel High Street?

Or has the name been officially changed?

They do indeed mean Whitechapel High Street.

http://goo.gl/maps/hZuCz

Despite it being on one of my standard commute routes I hadn't realised
it was part of Cycle Superhighway 2. Although to be fair I do only use
this particular 100m of the Cycle Superhighway.

Old July 7th 13, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Watson

wrote:

Transport for London said it was the first fatality involving a "Boris bike"
since the scheme started in 2010.

(so no remorse from them)

http://londonist.com/2013/07/cyclist...boris-bike.php

TfL's Leon Daniels said: "Our thoughts go out to the friends and family of the
female cyclist who tragically died following a collision with a heavy goods
vehicle on Whitechapel High Street.

Indeed.

Yes, indeed. 74 minutes until the next one....
Old July 7th 13, 02:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_10_]

"Andy Watson" wrote in message

wrote:

Transport for London said it was the first fatality involving a "Boris
bike"
since the scheme started in 2010.

(so no remorse from them)

http://londonist.com/2013/07/cyclist...boris-bike.php

TfL's Leon Daniels said: "Our thoughts go out to the friends and family of
the
female cyclist who tragically died following a collision with a heavy
goods
vehicle on Whitechapel High Street.

Indeed.

Yes, indeed. 74 minutes until the next one....

Well, it's been a lot longer than 74 minutes and we haven't heard anything.
Could it be that your emotive soundbite is totally flawed?

(Cue lots of swearing and bad tempered foul language)