Yet another cyclist killed. pH (Several, actually)

Old September 13th 19, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Yet another cyclist killed. pH (Several, actually)

On 9/12/2019 4:47 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 12:57:32 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/12/2019 9:16 AM, Duane wrote:

The thing here that seems different is that the bike lanes get cleaned
occasionally and also, since trucks don't usually drive on them, there
are a lot fewer potholes.

So, on today's ride we did several miles on a very smoothly paved minor
highway with nice wide, smooth shoulders, speed limit 45 mph, taking us
into a small town.

I rode mostly between the right tire track and lane center, moving to
the shoulder only when necessary to let cars pass. Two other riders did
as I did. Three more were on the shoulder the whole way.

When we got into that small town, one of the three shoulder riders had a
flat, from a tiny bit of steel wire, probably 0.010" diameter and 0.1"
long.

As I told him, that was precisely why I minimized my shoulder riding.

You can pick up a cord wire anywhere on a roadway. The real lesson should be to get a tire with a protective ply.

You _can_ pick up a cord wire anywhere, for a certain value of "can".
But it's far more likely on a road shoulder. It seems obvious that car
tires sweep most debris away from their path, but not from the shoulder.
You can see this on almost any road.

Also, the shoulder riders probably had a more enjoyable ride on the wide, smooth shoulder because they didn't have to watch for traffic and get out of the way when cars approached. Why ride on the road surface at all? What did it accomplish? Do you like oscillating in and out of the roadway?

Hmm. Choice #1: Ride the shoulder and worry that among the sprinkling of
visible gravel there are invisible sharp objects. Choice #2: Ride a
roadway that is visibly perfectly clean, glance at my mirror
occasionally and move right if cars simultaneously come from ahead and
behind. I was definitely happier with choice #2.

If traffic were heavy enough for "oscillating," perhaps I'd have made a
different choice. As it was, #2 was far better.

I continue to be amazed by avid cyclists who don't use their right to
the road.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Another cyclist killed Mentalguy2k8[_2_] UK 5 December 19th 13 01:50 PM
Cyclist killed Anton Berlin Racing 2 July 24th 10 04:08 AM
Pedestrian killed by cyclist (BNE) and cyclist killed by car (MEL) Adrian Cook Australia 26 July 20th 06 03:55 AM
Cyclist killed endroll Australia 0 September 24th 05 08:46 AM
Cyclist Killed Jimscozz Recumbent Biking 1 November 28th 03 05:39 PM