Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

Old September 6th 19, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for narrow tires
the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve. Couldn't believe it. Harumph,
grumble. Why on earth ... well, it is what it is.

I don't want to wait for some fancy adapter but I do not mind making
just about anything in the garage with hand tools. My special thick
tubes have Presta valves.

What should I use? Piece of plastic? Aluminum? Glue it in place?
Anything needed on the outside except maybe a washer?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 6th 19, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/6/2019 5:30 PM, Joerg wrote:
Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for
narrow tires the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve.
Couldn't believe it. Harumph, grumble. Why on earth ...
well, it is what it is.

I don't want to wait for some fancy adapter but I do not
mind making just about anything in the garage with hand
tools. My special thick tubes have Presta valves.

What should I use? Piece of plastic? Aluminum? Glue it in
place? Anything needed on the outside except maybe a washer?

In our experience it doesn't matter with any but the very
lightest/thinnest brands/models of tube. Your PV tubes have
an ultra thick base. Just drop it through and don't worry.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 6th 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 3:30:40 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for narrow tires
the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve. Couldn't believe it. Harumph,
grumble. Why on earth ... well, it is what it is.

I don't want to wait for some fancy adapter but I do not mind making
just about anything in the garage with hand tools. My special thick
tubes have Presta valves.

It's difficult to machine this adapter. Any bike shop should have those in bulk for a couple of bucks.
Old September 7th 19, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 06 Sep 2019 15:30:48 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for narrow tires
the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve. Couldn't believe it. Harumph,
grumble. Why on earth ... well, it is what it is.

I don't want to wait for some fancy adapter but I do not mind making
just about anything in the garage with hand tools. My special thick
tubes have Presta valves.

What should I use? Piece of plastic? Aluminum? Glue it in place?
Anything needed on the outside except maybe a washer?

You can buy, or even make, a bushing to use a presta valve tube in a
schrader rim.

Try google.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 7th 19, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-09-06 15:42, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/6/2019 5:30 PM, Joerg wrote:
Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for
narrow tires the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve.
Couldn't believe it. Harumph, grumble. Why on earth ...
well, it is what it is.

I don't want to wait for some fancy adapter but I do not
mind making just about anything in the garage with hand
tools. My special thick tubes have Presta valves.

What should I use? Piece of plastic? Aluminum? Glue it in
place? Anything needed on the outside except maybe a washer?

In our experience it doesn't matter with any but the very
lightest/thinnest brands/models of tube. Your PV tubes have an ultra
thick base. Just drop it through and don't worry.

Good! Those "Don't do anything and just drop it in" solutions are my
favorite ones :-)

Also, I am using thorn-resistant thick tubes which are much sturdier
than regular fare. Yesterday a riding buddy had two flats from goat's
head thorns within 36mi so I got home late for dinner. I didn't have any
flat in ... heck, I can't even remember which year that was.

Old September 7th 19, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

What should I use? Piece of plastic? Aluminum? Glue it in place?
Anything needed on the outside except maybe a washer?

Image search for "Presta to Schrader rim adapter":
https://www.google.com/search?q=presta+to+schrader+rim+adapter&tbm=isch
Plenty of styles to choose from.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 7th 19, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

What should I use? Piece of plastic? Aluminum? Glue it in place?
Anything needed on the outside except maybe a washer?

Image search for "Presta to Schrader rim adapter":
https://www.google.com/search?q=presta+to+schrader+rim+adapter&tbm=isch
Plenty of styles to choose from.

One of my bicycles uses these:
https://i.stack.imgur.com/m5vqB.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362302505553
The thread fit was rather loose so I applied some Loctite blue to the
threads. I also wanted to keep water out of the rim, so I installed
small rubber o-rings from the plumbing bins at the local hardware
store.

Old September 7th 19, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

What should I use? Piece of plastic? Aluminum? Glue it in place?
Anything needed on the outside except maybe a washer?

Image search for "Presta to Schrader rim adapter":
https://www.google.com/search?q=presta+to+schrader+rim+adapter&tbm=isch
Plenty of styles to choose from.

I saw those but wanted to avoid having to wait for yet another shipment.
The LBS doesn't have any such specialty stuff.

If I feel like it and have time I might make one of these with a Dremel
and a file, then glue it in place so it won't fly off when replacing the
ti

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/image/...76-500x500.JPG

One of my bicycles uses these:
https://i.stack.imgur.com/m5vqB.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362302505553
The thread fit was rather loose so I applied some Loctite blue to the
threads. I also wanted to keep water out of the rim, so I installed
small rubber o-rings from the plumbing bins at the local hardware
store.

I am not concerned about the outside as I can simply use a washer and a
homemade rubber gasket. More concerned about the inside being squeezed
into the hole when at the usual 110psi of my road bike. However, Andy
wrote not to worry so I won't worry. If there is a loud bang and the
valve rockets towards outer space I just tell the other guys that Andy
had blessed it :-)

Old September 7th 19, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

What should I use? Piece of plastic? Aluminum? Glue it in place?
Anything needed on the outside except maybe a washer?

Image search for "Presta to Schrader rim adapter":
https://www.google.com/search?q=presta+to+schrader+rim+adapter&tbm=isch
Plenty of styles to choose from.

I saw those but wanted to avoid having to wait for yet another shipment.
The LBS doesn't have any such specialty stuff.

Sigh.

If I feel like it and have time I might make one of these with a Dremel
and a file, then glue it in place so it won't fly off when replacing the
ti
https://www.dutchbikebits.com/image/...76-500x500.JPG

Well, if you're going to make your own, the outside thread on the
Presta stem is M6x0.80. Unfortunately, the standard size tape is
M6x0.75. However, a little brute force will probably make it fit with
the added bonus of not needing any thread lock. To center the stem in
the hole, a small o-ring, aluminum wire bent in a circle, or some
solder for a compression fit, should work.

Or, just make a suitable shoulder washer in a lathe (or drill press).

One of my bicycles uses these:
https://i.stack.imgur.com/m5vqB.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362302505553
The thread fit was rather loose so I applied some Loctite blue to the
threads. I also wanted to keep water out of the rim, so I installed
small rubber o-rings from the plumbing bins at the local hardware
store.

I am not concerned about the outside as I can simply use a washer and a
homemade rubber gasket. More concerned about the inside being squeezed
into the hole when at the usual 110psi of my road bike.

The washer takes care of centering the stem. If the washer is
sufficiently hard and the same thickness as the rim, it should prevent
the stem base from extruding itself through the hole. Extra credit
for calculating the surface area in sq-in of the washer and multiply
by 110PSI to estimate the force applied to the base. I would do this
for you, but the battery in my digital calipers is dead. Might as
well use a ruler. Schrader hole is 0.32 diameter. Presta stem, about
0.24. Area of washer is:
(Pi * 0.32/2 ^2) - (Pi * 0.24/2 ^2)
= 0.080 - 0.045 = 0.035 sq-in
Pressure is:
0.035 sq-in * 110 lbs/sq-in = 3.9 lbs
That's hardly any pressure and will barely bend the stem base, much
less extrude it through a Schrader size hole.

However, Andy
wrote not to worry so I won't worry. If there is a loud bang and the
valve rockets towards outer space I just tell the other guys that Andy
had blessed it :-)

The only time I really worry about something is when the experts tell
me not to worry. For example, not warning you to deburr or chamfer
the Schrader hole in the rim because the previous owner may have used
a dull drill bit.

There are currently 500,000 pieces of space debris being tracked by
various government agencies. None of these appear to be Presta
bicycle valves, so I suspect launching one into orbit is unlikely.
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/news/orbital_debris.html

Valve stem adapters are not rocket science.

Old September 9th 19, 07:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Joerg wrote:

Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for narrow tires
the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve. Couldn't believe it. Harumph,
grumble. Why on earth ... well, it is what it is.

I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder valves, except for their diameter. Count your blessings and use a better, less fault-prone tube.

It confounds me to come up with a rational explanation for why the recent crop of big wide rims (including fatbike rims) are mostly drilled for Presta valves.