Problems with upper gears

Old September 7th 19, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Problems with upper gears

I recently had my rear derailleur replaced along with new shifters on a 18 speed mountain bike.

Shifting in the lower gears is smooth and there is no noise when pedaling.

I can shift smoothly into all gears however, there is a "clicking" sound when I am in the upper gears.

The bike tech who did the work said he could not find a seven speed shifter and installed an eight speed shifter and told me he would make adjustments so it would work.

I have been told this.

"It is a problem, but can be fixed by also replacing the freewheel, but I definitely wouldn't be paying for any service from a tech who didn't know this would be a problem."

https://imgur.com/a/xF73i91

https://imgur.com/a/5VB6gat
Old September 7th 19, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, 7 September 2019 16:01:01 UTC-4, AK wrote:
I recently had my rear derailleur replaced along with new shifters on a 18 speed mountain bike.

Shifting in the lower gears is smooth and there is no noise when pedaling..

I can shift smoothly into all gears however, there is a "clicking" sound when I am in the upper gears.

The bike tech who did the work said he could not find a seven speed shifter and installed an eight speed shifter and told me he would make adjustments so it would work.

I have been told this.

"It is a problem, but can be fixed by also replacing the freewheel, but I definitely wouldn't be paying for any service from a tech who didn't know this would be a problem."

https://imgur.com/a/xF73i91

https://imgur.com/a/5VB6gat

Are the shifters INDEX style? Are you using the shifters in Index mode? An 8-speed shifters in Index mode can shift an 7-speed cassette or freewheel because the cog thickness and spacing are so close in a 7-speed and an 8-speed system. However, in index mode a 7-speed or 8-speed shifter will not work properly with 6-speed cassette or freewheel because the cogs and spacers are thicker.

Is your chain or derailleur hitting the spoke protector?

How many gears do you get that "clicking sound" in?

Cheers
Old September 8th 19, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
I recently had my rear derailleur replaced along with new shifters on a 18 speed mountain bike.

Shifting in the lower gears is smooth and there is no noise when pedaling.

I can shift smoothly into all gears however, there is a "clicking" sound when I am in the upper gears.

The bike tech who did the work said he could not find a seven speed shifter and installed an eight speed shifter and told me he would make adjustments so it would work.

I have been told this.

"It is a problem, but can be fixed by also replacing the freewheel, but I definitely wouldn't be paying for any service from a tech who didn't know this would be a problem."

https://imgur.com/a/xF73i91

https://imgur.com/a/5VB6gat

The 8 shifter is compatible.
Common problems include cable/casing/ferrule issues and rear
changer misalignment.
It ought to shift well and quietly with all new equipment.
This has a new seven chain, new FW and new cable/casing right?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 8th 19, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 7:35:43 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

I have found misalignment of the rear derailleur from a bent mount to be the largest cause of things like this. I watch people fixing a flat and simply drop the bike on the ground derailleur down without a thought that they can bend the mount.
Old September 8th 19, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/8/2019 10:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

Right. I had a similar shifting problem with one of my wife's bikes, and
corrected it easily by fixing a mis-clamped shifter cable (following
Andrew's advice).

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 8th 19, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 9:35:43 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

It has new shifters, chain, and rear derailleur. What is FW?

Andy
Old September 8th 19, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Saturday, September 7, 2019 at 4:49:22 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I get the clicking in about the highest 3 gears.

Nothing is hitting the spoke protector.

Andy
Old September 8th 19, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, 8 September 2019 10:35:43 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

Since when is an 8-speed shifter compatible with a 6-speed cassette or freewheel?

Cheers
Old September 8th 19, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

Yikes. You're right. I missed that.

If it's still a SIX freewheel, there's no way that shifter
could work.

And by the way, WTF? Six shifters are cheap and plentiful.
As are Sevens.

Old September 9th 19, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

Is this what I need?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunrace-M53...AAAOSwdA9asB-v

I think I can sucessfully install it.

I found this video on adjusting the derailleur.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...il&FORM=VIREHT

Andy