Recommended high-volume floor-type bicycle pumps?

Old August 7th 03, 10:41 PM
K.B.Rook

Default Recommended high-volume floor-type bicycle pumps?

Donald Gillies wrote:

So I have a Double Shot (no longer made, it seems)

No longer made? Maybe not, but still available

http://tinyurl.com/jckq

and on sale, too!

Old August 7th 03, 11:07 PM
F1

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:25:49 GMT, F1
wrote:
I just bought an air compressor at Sears for $119.95 (now on sale for

and
it goes up to 125 psi and will work with all other air tools. I was

Two issues:

1. Presta valves are a bitch to do with these compressors. I
am in the roofing business and run 8 high-volume high-pressure
roofing guns off of one compressor; but I can never seem to
get the 140psi in the tanks to result in 125psi in my presta
road tire.

Unless anybody's found a presta nozzle that I can attach to
the compressor.

2. The quality of the air in compressors with tanks can be
less than perfect. You may find moisture is being pumped
into your tire...and sometimes it's pretty icky moisture,
not just clean water.

It's fine for my beast of a mountain bike, but my refined
road bike deserves better!

--
Rick Onanian

Getting a presta nozzle to fit on the air nozzle shouldn't be a big problem.
If you're worried about contamination in the air lines, there are several
air-line cleaners available. They filter moisture and oil from the line.
If you're needing 140psi, then yes that compressor is not for you. I have
found mine very handy...good luck.

Old August 8th 03, 12:45 AM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

Before that I wore out a Zefal Plus (lasted 10 years or so), which was

also
a double acting (works when both pushing and pulling) pump that had the

two
cylinders side-by-side. Only problem with the Plus was the check valve at
the bottom, I repaired the spring (with a spring cut from a retractable
ball point pen) several times before retiring the pump, I think it

ingested
dirt and other stuff because the inlet was so close to the floor.

-- Doug Milliken

Hey, I had one of those and I bought it in 1984. When I couldn't maintain
any pressure in it, I suspected the plastic (yes! plastic!) cup was worn
out. I tried to contact Zefal about parts and they just laughed. So, you're
saying I should look for a spring, eh?

it's still in the garage.

Pat in TX

Old August 8th 03, 01:43 AM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:07:40 GMT, F1
wrote:
Getting a presta nozzle to fit on the air nozzle shouldn't be a big
problem.

Eh? I couldn't find any simple presta nozzles that I could
use with a standard compressor. I have to screw on one of
those terrible presta - schraeder adapters, which just
make it hard to get a good seal.

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 8th 03, 03:55 AM
dianne_1234

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote in message .com...
So, I'm looking to replace it with a *high-volumetric-capacity*
floor-type hand bicycle pump.

What brands/models are recommended based on durability/reliability,
volumetric capacity, accuracy of built-in pressure gauge, etc.?

As others have mentioned, the Zefal double-barrel pump put air in faster
than any others I've tried, but I found the pump really nasty to use... you
had to exert a lot of pressure on the upstroke, and it would do a number on
my back. Some of my customers had similar experiences.

But I should also ask if you're talking road or mountain bike use. For
mountain bikes, you need large volumes of air at relatively low pressure, so
something with a fairly fat barrel might work fine. But for a road bike,
you'll die before getting enough force to push air from the pump barrel into
your tire, so a pump with a skinnier barrel works much better. Doesn't put
air in as fast, but how fast does it need to be? I can inflate a road bike
tire very quickly with the basic Wrench Force "Air Slim" pump, which runs
about $30. Nice head on it too; works equally well with either type of
valve, and even comes with both a mattress inflator and ball needle. Such a
deal!

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

"Jon Noring" wrote in message
om...
Our trusty floor bicycle pump is falling apart after many years of use,
mostly for maintaining automobile tire pressure.

So, I'm looking to replace it with a *high-volumetric-capacity*
floor-type hand bicycle pump.

What brands/models are recommended based on durability/reliability,
volumetric capacity, accuracy of built-in pressure gauge, etc.?

[Note that I am NOT interested in a portable car battery powered pump,
which don't work much better than high-capacity floor-type hand pumps
anyway. If I ever need the higher capacity (and so far have not needed
it), I'd get a refillable air canister (the 6 gallon, 100 psi type).]

So, what do you recommend?

Thanks.

Jon Noring

My Air Slim is a good pump for me. You can even pump up trispoke
wheels and many discs if you switch the schraeder and presta sides of
the pump head. The internals are quite simple. Just press the lever's
pivot pin out, and you can guess the rest.
Old August 8th 03, 04:07 AM
Bill

"Jon Noring" wrote in message
om...
Our trusty floor bicycle pump is falling apart after many years of use,
mostly for maintaining automobile tire pressure.

So, I'm looking to replace it with a *high-volumetric-capacity*
floor-type hand bicycle pump.

What brands/models are recommended based on durability/reliability,
volumetric capacity, accuracy of built-in pressure gauge, etc.?

[Note that I am NOT interested in a portable car battery powered pump,
which don't work much better than high-capacity floor-type hand pumps
anyway. If I ever need the higher capacity (and so far have not needed
it), I'd get a refillable air canister (the 6 gallon, 100 psi type).]

So, what do you recommend?

Thanks.

Jon Noring

I have two Silca pumps, the Track pump and a Super Pista. About 15 and 6-8
yrs old respectively. They both work like new, durable, inexpensive, capable
of high pressure. The Super Pista is reasonably high volume. One is on the
back porch the other stays in the car.
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo... ,23415,21739
Bill

Old August 8th 03, 06:16 PM

In rec.bicycles.misc Bill wrote:

I have two Silca pumps, the Track pump and a Super Pista. About 15 and 6-8
yrs old respectively. They both work like new, durable, inexpensive, capable
of high pressure. The Super Pista is reasonably high volume. One is on the
back porch the other stays in the car.
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo... ,23415,21739
Bill

The Silca pumps are great quality pumps especially for high pressure road
tires, but the volume per stroke is rather low compared many other pumps.
For a mountain bike it isn't a big deal, but I wouldn't want to inflate
a car tire with it.

The best bicycle pump for inflating car tires would be the one with the
largest diameter barrel and longest stroke. The blackburn TPS-1 has a
pretty big barrel and stroke. So much so, that it is difficult to inflate
road bike tires with it. Maybe blackburn has resigned the double sided
schrader/presta head, but a problem I had a few years ago was the schrader
head had a check valve built into it which severly constricted the flow
of air to the tire. It considerably raised the effort needed to inflate
the tire.

---
Eric

Old August 8th 03, 10:04 PM
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 17:16:40 GMT, wrote:
road bike tires with it. Maybe blackburn has resigned the double sided
schrader/presta head, but a problem I had a few years ago was the
schrader
head had a check valve built into it which severly constricted the flow
of air to the tire. It considerably raised the effort needed to inflate
the tire.

If the TPS-1 has the double sided head that is on
my TPS-2, then it's certainly better in that respect.

The issues I have with the head a

-- On schraeder valves, you must attach it very firmly
and make sure the valve stem is as deep in the head
as you can, or you won't get an accurate pressure
reading from the gauge on the pump

-- The head has a piece that you twist to engage it, and
it's somewhat difficult to twist/untwist; and you
can lose air while engaging/disengaging

-- I fear breaking presta valves while engaging/disengaging
the head with that twistage

-- I feel that I lose too much air while removing the head

Well, I think I ought to retract my earlier reccomendation
of the TPS-2. Obviously, I don't like the head; and I'm not
confident that the shaft won't break, either, so the only
thing I like is that I can, in fact, get 125 pounds quickly
into a road tire, and 65 pounds easily into a MTB tire.

---
Eric

--
Rick Onanian