Bike Tour Company reviews or opinions?

Old June 3rd 05, 08:06 PM
Rocky

Default Bike Tour Company reviews or opinions?

Planning a trip to Italy or Spain next September, looking for opinions on
tour companies. We want to do a supported tour, not self guided.

Opinions/reviews requested on:

Backroads
REI adventures
giramondobiketours.com
Velo Classic Tours
Eurobike
Far and away cycling tours

Other companies you like

thanks

Old June 4th 05, 01:24 AM
Ken

"Rocky" wrote in :
Planning a trip to Italy or Spain next September, looking for opinions on
tour companies. We want to do a supported tour, not self guided.

There are some good opinions he
http://www.biketour-reviews.com/bike_reviews.htm

The more expensive outfits tend to have better quality control, though the
cheaper ones often have more "personality". Backroads tries to use the exact
same equipment and even the same lunch food on all their tours, no matter
where in the world. On the other hand, REI relies on local employees who
might be dedicated professionals who give you in-depth local flavor or they
might be bored students on a summer job.

Study the ride difficulty level ratings carefully. A too easy tour can
easily become boring, while a too hard tour might not be fun after the first
day.

Old June 5th 05, 11:15 PM
Dan Klenke

Rocky:

This is very dated, but my wife and I had an excellent experience with
Eurobike Tours in 1985-tour of Bavaria. Greetings to any others from that
trip, including the Boat People, if lurking here in the background.

My father-in-law has done a couple of others with them, also with very good
experiences. Last time was about 7 years ago or so. This was right after
the company was handed off to the younger generation.

Regards,

Dan Klenke
Aurora, IL

Old June 9th 05, 02:49 PM
Bob Gillespie

Hi Rocky,
My wife and I did a tour of northern Spain in 2000. It was great.
We went with Iberocycle. We did sort of a trip report and it is posted
at http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-drbob
Scenery was great. Simon, the owner, and Susana, his wife, were
fantastic
hosts. We are looking to possible go back to do another trip this
September with Iberocycle.
We also did a week in Ireland with Irish Cycling Safaris and enjoyed it
as well. Have that story posted as well.
Hope this helps.
Bob