Therapy Bike Pedaled With Hands Instead of Feet?

Old January 6th 10, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Therapy Bike Pedaled With Hands Instead of Feet?

I am trying to find a way to exercise an elderly person with a broker femur
/ hip who cannot have the injury surgically repaired. Does anyone make an
exercise device that would give a light aerobic workout to someone by just
use of hands and without putting strain on legs and hip joints? I am
imagining a device like a bicycle that can be pedaled with hands not feet.

Any recommendations or references to specific vendor products are
appreciated.

Old January 6th 10, 08:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Here's a start: http://thebikerack.com/product-list/hand-cycles-81/.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old January 6th 10, 08:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson[_5_]

W wrote:
I am trying to find a way to exercise an elderly person with a broker
femur / hip who cannot have the injury surgically repaired. Does
anyone make an exercise device that would give a light aerobic
workout to someone by just use of hands and without putting strain on
legs and hip joints? I am imagining a device like a bicycle that
can be pedaled with hands not feet.
Any recommendations or references to specific vendor products are
appreciated.

Every "24-Hour Fitness" in which I've worked out has a hand cycle machine
with variable resistance. Can't tell you the brand or make but it's a
quality device. Just sit in front of it and "pedal" the arm cranks.
Surprisingly effective.

There are also hand-powered recumbent cycles, of course, but riding one may
be too strenuous for your elderly friend/client.

Good luck.

Bill S.

Old January 6th 10, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Andrew Price

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 22:21:47 -0800, "W"
wrote:

I am trying to find a way to exercise an elderly person with a broker femur
/ hip who cannot have the injury surgically repaired. Does anyone make an
exercise device that would give a light aerobic workout to someone by just
use of hands and without putting strain on legs and hip joints? I am
imagining a device like a bicycle that can be pedaled with hands not feet.

http://www.handbike.de/trainer/index.php

Something like this?