Anatomical (men's) bicycle seats

Old March 16th 10, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

Default Anatomical (men's) bicycle seats

=v= I've been using Terry saddles for years (the model made
for men's sitz bones), and love them. I've also had good
results with Specialized's Body Geometry line. The key
for me with any saddle is a slight forward tilt; I've never
been able to ride on a strictly horizontal saddle without
squooshing my boys.

The "fart holes" as they are affectionatly [sic] called, ...

=v= What is this, Beavis & Butthead? Are we all in a grade
school locker room? Yeesh.
_Jym_

Old March 16th 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Mar 16, 2:10*pm, Jym Dyer wrote:
=v= I've been using Terry saddles for years (the model made
for men's sitz bones), and love them. *I've also had good
results with Specialized's Body Geometry line. *The key
for me with any saddle is a slight forward tilt; I've never
been able to ride on a strictly horizontal saddle without
squooshing my boys.

If the boys are that much of an issue, think about letting them ride
comfortably on their own tag-a-long bike!
Old March 16th 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Jon Danniken wrote:
Hi, I have started doing a little bit of road riding again, and I have
noticed the new (to me) bicycle seats with a cavity down the length of it.
Being prone to numbness after a ride, do these seats work to relieve the
pressure? Do they actually work?

Of the types available, which one(s) would you recommend?

Thanks,

Jon

Another repeat of the "it's personal" argument. There's really no way
anybody can advise you on saddles. I've found it strictly trial & error,
and usually the trial has to be a good long ride.

I've found comfort has everything to do with shape and nothing to do
with price (although that may affect durability). Saddles have width and
length to consider as well as front to back and side to side curvature,
not to mention depth of padding and features like fart slots. As
suggested, you may try some from the $10 saddle collection that many
bike shops acquire when they replace OEM saddles with customer selected
upgrades on new bikes. Pick different shapes and find what works.
Tedious and sometimes expensive, but I don't know any other way. Some
shops will allow returns, you can ask.
Old March 16th 10, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jay[_2_]

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Hi, I have started doing a little bit of road riding again, and I have
noticed the new (to me) bicycle seats with a cavity down the length of it.
Being prone to numbness after a ride, do these seats work to relieve the
pressure? Do they actually work?

Of the types available, which one(s) would you recommend?

Thanks,

Jon

Another vote for Brooks. Is this not a handsome saddle?

http://cyclesmith.ca/product/brooks-...al-33142-1.htm

J.

Old March 16th 10, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Andrew Price

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:23:16 -0500, "Jay" wrote:

Another vote for Brooks. Is this not a handsome saddle?

http://cyclesmith.ca/product/brooks-...al-33142-1.htm

It is indeed - one of the nicest *looking* ass-hatchets in the entire
Brooks arsenal.
Old March 17th 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jay[_2_]

"Andrew Price" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:23:16 -0500, "Jay" wrote:

Another vote for Brooks. Is this not a handsome saddle?

http://cyclesmith.ca/product/brooks-...al-33142-1.htm

It is indeed - one of the nicest *looking* ass-hatchets in the entire
Brooks arsenal.

Well, I guess Jon can tell by now, beauty is in the seat of the individual
rider.

J.

Old March 18th 10, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Thompson[_3_]

On 2010-03-15, Bill Sornson wrote:

Wow. The guy gives a thoughtful, helpful reply and you go right for his
balls.

Force of habit?

I think he's just ticked off because I'm not using Slackware anymore.

--

-John )
Old May 1st 10, 07:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Petey

On Mar 14, 6:36*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Hi, I have started doing a little bit of road riding again, and I have
noticed the new (to me) bicycle seats with a cavity down the length of it..
Being prone to numbness after a ride, do these seats work to relieve the
pressure? *Do they actually work?

Of the types available, which one(s) would you recommend?

Thanks,

Jon

Yes. I had a Terry Sport saddle which was the original saddle with
the cutout. Unlike modern saddles, the cutout wasn't visible but was
covered in fabric so it still provided some support. It was indeed
very comfortable. I have also had good luck with a Brooks
Professional saddle. They are wider than most modern saddles and more
durable than padded, fabric-covered ones, but heavy and expensive. I
wanted to bring back from Germany (where they are much cheaper and
more common) one of the Brooks models that looks like the Professional
but has springs but I didn't have room in my luggage. Heavy, yes, but
worth the trade-off in comfort, I think...