Nimbus 29" with ISIS, Yuni 29", or other?

Old October 21st 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ajantara

Default Nimbus 29" with ISIS, Yuni 29", or other?

results, please visit http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65086
Question: What one should I get?

- Nimbus with ISIS Hub
- Yuni
- other

I'm fairly new to Unicycling. Bought my first one, a Sun 20", a few
months ago.

With relatively little practice, I'm now able to go a good distance,
free mount about 33% of the time, and am almost able to turn reasonably
well.

Almost immediately after I started being able to 'go', I realized that
the 20" was a mistake and I should've gotten a 24" to start with so I
could realistically commute to/from classes with it. Now, it's too late
to do anything about that so I'm already looking to upgrade to a 29".

I've done searches on these forums and have seen similar topics, with
the KH being the clear winner in pretty much everybody's opinion.

However, the KH is a good $300 more expensive than a Yuni or Nimbus, so
it's not really an option.

My question, then, is which of the other 29"s should I get? Anybody
have personal experience with multiple of them?

I'll mostly be on pavement with a little offroad, and I don't expect to
be doing any drops higher than an average curb.

Right now the top two contenders in my mind are

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=601

and

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1064

Right now I'm leaning slightly toward the Nimbus for the aesthetics,
the seat handle, and the frequency of it's mention here on these forums
in comparison to the Yuni.

Thanks.

--
ajantara
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 21st 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Go Nimbus. It has the ISIS hub, so its way stronger than a cotter less
hub, which will be good, cause you say you will stick to curbs, but im
pretty sure you will go bigger. =p

Besides, its just better to buy something that is strong and sturdy,
and maybe even above your level of riding so you dont have to worry
about it when you ride.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 21st 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

Jerrick wrote:
Go Nimbus. It has the ISIS hub, so its way stronger than a cotter less
hub, which will be good, cause you say you will stick to curbs, but im
pretty sure you will go bigger. =p

Besides, its just better to buy something that is strong and sturdy,
and maybe even above your level of riding so you dont have to worry
about it when you ride.

I agree entirely but I wish the Nimbus had the double walled rim like
the Yuni does.

--
Brian O.

*'ProjectUNI' (http://www.otherworldsociety.org/projectuni) - *The First
Serious Unicycle Computer Game* - -Simple multiplayer muni concept demo
soon.-*
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 21st 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ajantara

Brian O. wrote:
I agree entirely but I wish the Nimbus had the double walled rim like
the Yuni does.

What difference does that make? I don't know much at this point.

Thanks for the responses and votes.

--
ajantara
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 22nd 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Both would be adequate for what you want to do.

The Big Apple Tyre that comes with the Nimbus is probably better for
road and it's not bad for hardpack dirt either. But I'm sure UDC can
swap them for you before shipping if necessary.

The ISIS hub is a better and stronger design. The only disadvantage at
the moment is that there are fewer choices of cranks to choose from.
Still....you can get most lengths down to 100mm, and there are
lightweight cranks as well as heavy duty ones available. If you want
to go really fast on a 29" though, you can't get 89mm or 65mm cranks.

The Nimbus looks like it has better pedals and seat too.

Otherwise the the Uni's look pretty similar.

Ken

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

Email me for details.
http://www.usenet.com