Strange fatigue again...? (long)

Old August 24th 03, 11:50 PM
hippy

Default Strange fatigue again...? (long)

"Dodo" wrote in message
2. Human vitality and energy is not linear you may be able to do a

thousand
klms in a week in one part of the year and not be able to get out of

bed in
another , get your self a biorythm calculator they can be very handy

What is a biorythm calculator? Any brand name you can suggest so I
can google for them?

3. You may be developing chronic fatigue ( hyopoglycimea low blood

sugar )
and if you are do something about it NOW look at your eating habits if

you
eat a lot of "energy foods" with a lot of refined sugar you are in

real
danger of getting into a viscious circle of blood sugar fluctuations.

Which
won't kill you they will just make you wish you were dead trust me I

just
had all my teeth out because of this condition.

That's what the doc suggested it might've been. I do eat lots of high
sugar
foods so maybe I need to look at changing that.

cheers,
hip

Old August 25th 03, 06:53 AM
D. Advocate

"hippy" wrote in message ...
That's what the doc suggested it might've been. I do eat lots of high
sugar foods so maybe I need to look at changing that.

Oh dear, that is a surefire way to experience big blood sugar
fluctuations. You need to eat more low glycemic index foods (esp
complex carbs) to regulate your blood sugar levels so they are
consistent without peaking and troughing. High glycemic stuff is OK
while you are training/racing or immediately after.

Old August 25th 03, 11:59 PM
hippy

"D. Advocate" wrote in message
om...
That's what the doc suggested it might've been. I do eat lots of

high
sugar foods so maybe I need to look at changing that.

Oh dear, that is a surefire way to experience big blood sugar
fluctuations. You need to eat more low glycemic index foods (esp
complex carbs) to regulate your blood sugar levels so they are
consistent without peaking and troughing. High glycemic stuff is OK
while you are training/racing or immediately after.

Okay, so do most people get hold of one of those big
charts of food GI or is it just a matter of eating 'mostly'
complex carbs and not sugary foods?
This could be problematic with some 'healthy' foods
like breakfast cereals used by the AIS contain
20-30% sugar!
Any suggestions for how I should go about eating
low GI stuff - or just ditch the high sugar?
Gee.. my sugar rushing was the only thing keeping
me awake at work :-S

hippy

Old August 26th 03, 02:58 AM
Tim Jones

"hippy" wrote in message
"D. Advocate" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I would suggest stuff like pasta and rice make great foods to eat - they
have plenty of carbs for energy, but you also have other stuff with them
(veggies, meat) so you are getting a better nutritionally balanced diet.

They won't keep you awake however - the coffee might be a good idea ;-)

Also what David said - don't go cold turkey.

Tim

Old August 26th 03, 03:27 AM
hippy

"Tim Jones" wrote in message
. au...
I would suggest stuff like pasta and rice make great foods to eat -

they
have plenty of carbs for energy, but you also have other stuff with

them
(veggies, meat) so you are getting a better nutritionally balanced

diet.

My problem isn't my main meals. I have a pretty good diet.. if you don't
include all the mid-meal junk food snacking.

Breakfast:
Burgen Low-GI Honey/Oat bread with low fat cottage cheese
sometimes porridge, normal toast or other cereal no sugar.

Lunch:
Stirfry, curry, dahl, mixed vegies and rice, etc. It's mostly
vegetarian and usually white rice, sometimes wholegrain.
Sometimes 'normal' pasta as well.

Dinner:
Anything from a couple of cheddarmite scrolls to curry, pasta,
rice and stirfry, (taco bills, fish & chips, sometimes).

The problem, I think, lies in between these meals...
Iced coffee, choc wheatens, lollies, chocolate, milo?
ice cream for dessert, maybe more chocolate later.
The actual day I had the wierdness, I was scoffing
those new Milo cereal things straight from the box
because they were so damn 'moreish'!!
I'm not buying them again for that reason. Licorice
allsorts and "hedgehog" from Brumbies were big on
the menu recently , especially around 3pm.

They won't keep you awake however - the coffee might be a good idea

;-)

I stopped drinking cappucinos because I was cramping
and ended up moving to Coke (which I don't drink
any more) and then onto Iced Coffee - which I buy
a lot of now. Well, until now!

Also what David said - don't go cold turkey.

What is the harm in going cold turkey?

What about like another poster said and only
eat high sugar stuff during and after riding?

Thanks everyone,
hippy

Old August 26th 03, 03:40 AM
Luther Blissett

hippy wrote:
*snip*
What is the harm in going cold turkey?

Going cold turkey can be quite stressful. It's also too easy to fall off
the wagon if you go compelety cold turkey (too many cliches!), and quite
demoralising if you keep doing it.

I nominated Friday as my crap food day, and every other day I am a good
boy. I was struggling to give up my coca-cola addiction (min 2 bottles a
day), but then I found if I switched to Pepsi it was easier to kick the
habit.

- LB