Woman jailed over cyclist's death

Old July 25th 03, 03:57 PM
Paulus

Default Woman jailed over cyclist's death

No, no, no! The correct way to do it is run em over sober (line em up
better), then have a few ales.

"Trevor S" wrote in message
Shabby wrote in news:3f20cae9$1_1
@news.chariot.net.au:

What a croc.

2yrs & 3 months for killing someone, just for not having the sense to
get a taxi home when you plan to get wasted.

Who's ever seen a 37 year old at a rave anyway?

Agreed, simpily an indication the law is an ass ! IMO it should me
manslaughter (or in these PC times, Personslaughter I guess) Want to kill
someone ? Run them down in your car while 1/2 ****ed...

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

Old July 28th 03, 01:09 AM
Leon

This is a joke. This shows it pays to be a criminal in Australia. Less than
3yr sentence for taking someones life. Worst is that she might be only doing
weekend detention for 3 yrs or even out in less then 2 yrs.

I am going to start killing tomorrow.

"Trevor S" wrote in message
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...084190343.html

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

Old July 28th 03, 05:55 AM
RideToEat

Leon wrote:
This is a joke. This shows it pays to be a criminal in Australia. Less
than 3yr sentence for taking someones life. Worst is that she might be
only doing weekend detention for 3 yrs or even out in less then 2 yrs.
I am going to start killing tomorrow.

The 2 and a 1/2 years sounds like an appropriate sentence to me. I know
it's horrible for the victims and their families, but it wasn't a
callous act - just a stupid mistake.

I don't know about the weekend detention, though. Who said that
could happen?

Old July 28th 03, 10:33 PM
Peter Cremasco

On 28 Jul 2003 13:24:07 GMT, Trevor S wrote:

suitability of the sentence I agree it was a mistake but she took a
persons life, does it matter if it was deliberate or not ? You seem to be
saying that if she killed the person deliberately, that would be worse ?

Yes.

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

Old July 29th 03, 09:20 AM
RideToEat

Peter Cremasco wrote:
suitability of the sentence I agree it was a mistake but she took a
persons life, does it matter if it was deliberate or not ? You seem
to be saying that if she killed the person deliberately, that would
be worse ?

Yep, that's what I'm saying (and I think the law says it matters too).

Don't get me wrong. It fills me with terror that that could happen to
me. I often ride on that very same road at the same time of the weekend,
too. And I feel terrible for the victims and their families.

But this woman didn't go on a killing spree. She hadn't had enough
sleep, and was stupid for getting in her car. She's going away for at
least two and a half years.

Sorry for having some objectivity.

Old July 29th 03, 11:39 AM
Trevor S

RideToEat wrote in news:3f2632f2$3_3
@news.chariot.net.au:

snip

Yep, that's what I'm saying

I disagree vehemently, the outcome is the important issue, not how it was
achieved.

(and I think the law says it matters too).

Indeed, but then as has been shown on numerous occasions, the laws an ass

But this woman didn't go on a killing spree.

Sure she did, check the article, a person dies, if she had killed three,
would that be a spree and we throw away the key ? or simpily stupidity ?

She hadn't had enough
sleep, and was stupid for getting in her car.

Agreed, but we don't punish people for stupidity, or the Goals would be
full We punish them for their actions...

She's going away for at
least two and a half years.

Indeed, take a life get 2 1/2 years.. seems wholly inadequate to me,
especially in an instance like this... and no I don't advocate an eye for
an eye but I would have thought at minimum a decade and then garnish
her wage for another decade at say 20% for recompense to the relatives.

Sorry for having some objectivity.

IMO you don't have any objectivity but I respect your opinion, just
disgaree with it vehemetly There is no objectivity, you can't take it
back, it's final, it's not like stealing a car or a pushbike, it's a
life, Persoanly I could suffer the lost of anything, excpet my life.....

As an aside, the US Government has a bill before congress where this sort
of Goal time would be given to people downloading MP3's, now lets put
THAT in perspective.

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein