Only cyclists break the law.

Old April 2nd 19, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

Default Only cyclists break the law.

On 02/04/2019 09:47, TMS320 wrote:

On 02/04/2019 02:07, JNugent wrote:
On 28/03/2019 08:38, TMS320 wrote:
On 28/03/2019 06:01, Ian Smith wrote:
On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 00:04:17 +0000, TMS320 wrote:

Â* A gripe I have is that I *don't* want speed camera warnings, even
when I
Â* am driving my own car. They are easily visible and rarely placed
where
Â* the speed is not intuitive. I can't find any means in Google to turn
Â* them off (and it isn't intelligent enough to only warn when the
limit is
Â* being broken).

Agreed.Â* I find googles bleating about cameras annoying too.

It also irritates me when a passenger with local knowledge "warns" of
a speed camera. Oh, does it contain a bazooka?

"I've just been flashed by that speed camera!"

"Yes, a lot of people get caught out by that one."

"You mean you knew about it and didn't warn me?"

"Careful. There's a speed camera ahead."

I thought you said that such friendly warnings were irritating?

"Why do I need to take any more care than usual?"
"A lot of people get caught out by that one."
"Then they're poor drivers and they don't get my sympathy."

What, even if the driver happened to be your wife, brother or son?

If you say "Yes", I don't believe you.

That's a compliment.
Old April 2nd 19, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 02/04/2019 12:33, JNugent wrote:
[...]

I did.

"Why do I need to take any more care than usual?"
"A lot of people get caught out by that one."
"Then they're poor drivers and they don't get my sympathy."

What, even if the driver happened to be your wife, brother or son?

If you say "Yes", I don't believe you.

It would be their lesson.

That's a compliment.

Shrug.
Old April 2nd 19, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 12:33:26 +0100
JNugent wrote:

On 02/04/2019 09:47, TMS320 wrote:

"Why do I need to take any more care than usual?"
"A lot of people get caught out by that one."
"Then they're poor drivers and they don't get my sympathy."

What, even if the driver happened to be your wife, brother or son?

Of course, why would that make any difference?. I've never been
done for speeding (I once got a careless driving ticket for riding my
bike around a roundabout a bit too enthusiastically and didn't notice
the police car waiting to pull out - clearly my fault on two counts)
and I have no sympathy for anyone who has, because they were clearly not
paying attention or actively flouting a law that promotes safety. If
I'm ever done for speeding (what's the chance that I will now?) then
I'm a tosser too - no sympathy, just pay the fine and extra insurance
premium, and don't do it again.

Old April 2nd 19, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 6:15:46 PM UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:

Of course, why would that make any difference?. I've never been
done for speeding

I received a letter from West Yorks plod today which stated that I was clocked at 61mph in a 50mph zone on the M606 the other day.

I sent it back with my wife's name on it! Not me, guv.
Old April 3rd 19, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 02/04/2019 18:15, Rob Morley wrote:
On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 12:33:26 +0100
JNugent wrote:

On 02/04/2019 09:47, TMS320 wrote:

"Why do I need to take any more care than usual?"
"A lot of people get caught out by that one."
"Then they're poor drivers and they don't get my sympathy."

What, even if the driver happened to be your wife, brother or son?

Of course, why would that make any difference?. I've never been
done for speeding (I once got a careless driving ticket for riding my
bike around a roundabout a bit too enthusiastically and didn't notice
the police car waiting to pull out - clearly my fault on two counts)
and I have no sympathy for anyone who has, because they were clearly not
paying attention or actively flouting a law that promotes safety. If
I'm ever done for speeding (what's the chance that I will now?) then
I'm a tosser too - no sympathy, just pay the fine and extra insurance
premium, and don't do it again.

That's very stoic of you.

Give yourself a stick-on gold star.

Now... about your wife, brother, son, parent, partner, SO, etc...

I am not reaily inclined to believe that you would be totally neutral
(still less pleased) if one of them were banned from driving on
"totting-up" and particularly not so if you could have prevented it with
a timely warning, as irritating as they may be to some.

OTOH, if you insist that you would take the view that it just served
them right, you are now apparently on the company of TMS (who has posted
to the same effect) and Mason, who once posted about his glee that his
wife had been given an endorsement after beingcaught by a "saety"
camera. He apparently thought it was hilarious.

I, like most other normal people, would definitely want to help any
relative or friend to avoid such a situation (by lawful means, of course
- I wuldn't want to emulate a Labour or LibDem MP). I would certainly
take no pleasure in their punishment, doubly so if I could have
prevented the offence by assisting with a timely warning in the first place.
Old April 4th 19, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 03/04/2019 16:28, JNugent wrote:

I am not reaily inclined to believe that you would be totally neutral
(still less pleased) if one of them were banned from driving on
"totting-up" and particularly not so if you could have prevented it with
a timely warning, as irritating as they may be to some.

The first one would be a source of mild amusement. If the incompetence
continued to the full set, they would not ask for sympathy and they
wouldn't get any if they did.
Old April 4th 19, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 04/04/2019 11:21, TMS320 wrote:

On 03/04/2019 16:28, JNugent wrote:

I am not reaily inclined to believe that you would be totally neutral
(still less pleased) if one of them were banned from driving on
"totting-up" and particularly not so if you could have prevented it
with a timely warning, as irritating as they may be to some.

The first one would be a source of mild amusement.

You would be amused if a relative - or even a friend, assuming you still
have any - were banned from driving?

How long have you been estranged from your family?

One can just imagine a certain sort of person being unsympathetic in
such circumstances, but being *amused* by it?

Really?

If the incompetence
continued to the full set, they would not ask for sympathy and they
wouldn't get any if they did.

Have you ever asked yourself whether you have your sense of life's
priorities in the right order?

Old April 4th 19, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 04/04/2019 17:05, JNugent wrote:
[...]

It's not as though they've got cancer.
Old April 4th 19, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

TMS320 wrote:
[...]

Cancer.
You have just dropped as low as a human can get with that comment.
****.