Cyclist on wrong side of the road

Old August 12th 19, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Cyclist on wrong side of the road

On 11/08/2019 19:27, TMS320 wrote:

On 11/08/2019 18:02, JNugent wrote:
On 11/08/2019 17:07, TMS320 wrote:
On 11/08/2019 12:49, JNugent wrote:

Perhaps she was just riding along on the wrong side of the road
because she felt like it. or perhaps didn't know any better (as a
possible reason that does have legs).

The Highway Code suggests pedestrians should travel on the right hand
side when there are no pavements. Wrongly or rightly, some people
probably think it applies when going slowly on a bicycle or mobility
scooter.

No need for the equivocation. It's *wrongly*.

And you know it.

You also can't answer my question.

There is nothing wrong, per se, with driving or riding on the wrong
side of a carriageway when it is done for a particular legitimate
purpose and done *safely* and *lawfully*.

What law?

Apart from the Road Traffic Act 1988 (as amended), you mean?

Go on... try to show that the cyclist described by the OP was doing
either of those things.

I wrote nothing to suggest it needed defending.

Correct. You wrote as though what she was doing was considerate, safe
and lawful. It was none of those things.

Old August 12th 19, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 11/08/2019 21:00, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
TMS320 wrote:
[...]

Everybody saw it coming and you were stupid enough to fall for it.
Hook, line and sinker.

You are a pathetic cyclist, and that is all you ever will be.

Phew. At least it won't be bitter old scroat with a mental age of 15.
Old August 12th 19, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 12/08/2019 00:22, JNugent wrote:
On 11/08/2019 19:27, TMS320 wrote:
On 11/08/2019 18:02, JNugent wrote:

There is nothing wrong, per se, with driving or riding on the wrong
side of a carriageway when it is done for a particular legitimate
purpose and done *safely* and *lawfully*.

What law?

Apart from the Road Traffic Act 1988 (as amended), you mean?

Quote the relevant section.

Go on... try to show that the cyclist described by the OP was doing
either of those things.

I wrote nothing to suggest it needed defending.

Correct. You wrote as though what she was doing was considerate, safe
and lawful. It was none of those things.

You're just saying it was wrong. I asked why anybody should be bothered
about it.
Old August 12th 19, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 11/08/2019 23:29, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Peter Keller wrote:
On 11/08/2019 09:48, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
TMS320 wrote:
On 09/08/2019 01:29, Simon Jester wrote:
On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 8:33:08 PM UTC+1, GB wrote:

I wish I had the imagination.

I agree, you are not very imaginative. I have seen many people like
you making up stories to get some attention. They all have a follow
up story to support it, just like you. Rather sad really.

To be fair, I have seen people riding their bicycle on the wrong
side of the road. Any I have experienced get out of the way. So my
question is - why does anybody need to be bothered about it?

The need to ask that question exposes just how stupid you really are.

No it does not.

It was a very stupid question to ask, and we all know that.

No it is not.

You have yet exposed yourself as being yet another dim wit cyclist ****head.

Thanks greatly for that excellent compliment coming from YOU.
Especially as it comes from YOU.
Now please crap to me the further excellent honour of spineless little
worm. Or what about festering pustule on a weasel's rump? That would be
excellent.

It really is a very great compliment to be called ****head by YOU.
Especially by YOU.
And I have no ****ing interest in looking good in YOUR eyes.
After all I ride a bicycle.
And we all know what YOU think of bicyclists. You think they are the
****witted pits of humanity.
And because it is YOU who think that, that is an extremely great
compliment.
We must be doing something right.

Next time you are going to the dole on your silly little bicycle, undertake
a HGV which is turning left.

It is a very useful convenient economical delightful viable means of
transport and fun.
And you are a murderer.

Old August 12th 19, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 12/08/2019 08:00, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
You are a pathetic cyclist,

Thanks greatly for that excellent accolade, cumming from YOU.
Now please ejaculate to me from YOU the further esteemed honour of being
a smelly technicolour yawn.
After all I ride a bicycle, a very convenient delightful economical
viable means of transport, and we all know that YOU think bicyclists are
the ****witted pits of humanity.
I really feel complimented by that, because YOU said it.

Old August 12th 19, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 12/08/2019 05:31, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
TMS320 wrote:
On 10/08/2019 22:48, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
TMS320 wrote:
On 09/08/2019 01:29, Simon Jester wrote:
On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 8:33:08 PM UTC+1, GB wrote:

I wish I had the imagination.

I agree, you are not very imaginative. I have seen many people like
you making up stories to get some attention. They all have a follow
up story to support it, just like you. Rather sad really.

To be fair, I have seen people riding their bicycle on the wrong
side of the road. Any I have experienced get out of the way. So my
question is - why does anybody need to be bothered about it?

The need to ask that question exposes just how stupid you really are.

There is no such thing as a stupid question. Only stupid answers.

HA! I see that I've hit a nerve. Have you shaved your legs today?

What does that have to do with the price of cucumbers?
Old August 12th 19, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 12/08/2019 08:34, TMS320 wrote:
On 12/08/2019 00:22, JNugent wrote:
On 11/08/2019 19:27, TMS320 wrote:
On 11/08/2019 18:02, JNugent wrote:

There is nothing wrong, per se, with driving or riding on the wrong
side of a carriageway when it is done for a particular legitimate
purpose and done *safely* and *lawfully*.

What law?

Apart from the Road Traffic Act 1988 (as amended), you mean?

Quote the relevant section.

Tell you what... let's forget about law prohibiting reckless or
inconsiderate cycling (as though either of those concepts could ever
mean much to the average UK cyclist these days) and instead, let's look
at the Highway Act of 1835 (the language in which it is couched is
impressive):

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Will4/5-6/50/section/78

QUOTE:

[Section] 78 Drivers of waggons or carts not to ride thereon unless some
other person guide them. Drivers causing hurt or damage to others, or
quitting the road, or driving carriage without owner’s name, or not
keeping the left or near side, or interrupting free passage, if not the
owner to forefeit 20s; if he be the owner, 40s.

.. . . if the driver of any carriage whatsoever on any part of any
highway shall by negligence or wilful misbehaviour cause any hurt or
damage to any person, horse, cattle, or goods conveyed in any carriage
passing or being upon such highway, or shall quit the same and go on the
other side of the hedge or fence inclosing the same, or negligently or
wilfully be at such distance from such carriage or in such a situation
whilst it shall be passing upon such highway that he cannot have the
direction and government of the horses or cattle drawing the same, or
shall leave any cart or carriage on such highway so as to obstruct the
passage thereof; . . . ; or if the driver of any waggon, cart, or other
carriage whatsoever, or of any horses, mules, or other beast of draught
or burthen meeting any other waggon, cart, or other carriage, or horses,
mules, or other beasts of burthen, shall not keep his waggon, cart or
carriage, or horses, mules, or other beasts of burthen, on the left or
near side of the road; or if any person shall in any manner wilfully
prevent any other person from passing him, or any waggon, cart, or other
carriage, or horses, mules, or other beasts of burthen, under his care,
upon such highway, or by negligence or misbehaviour prevent, hinder, or
interrupt the free passage of any person, waggon, cart, or other
carriage or horses, mules, or other beasts of burthen, on any highway,
or shall not keep his waggon, cart, or other carriage, or horses, mules,
or other beasts of burthen, on the left or near side of the road, for
the purpose of allowing such passage; or if any person riding any horse
or beast, or driving any sort of carriage, shall ride or drive the same
furiously so as to endanger the life or limb of any passenger; every
person so offending in any of the cases aforesaid, and being convicted
of any such offence, either by his own confession, the view of a
justice, or by the oath of one or more credible witnesses, before any
two justices of the peace, shall in addition to any civil action to
which he may make himself liable, for every such offence forfeit any sum
not exceeding [level 1 on the standard scale], . . .
ENDQUOTE

Old August 12th 19, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 12/08/2019 13:04, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. You said 1988. This extract is from 1835.

Clearly the people that devised the new parking maneouvre in the driving
test haven't read this. Perhaps the rider of this bicycle should be made
to 'forefiet' 40s?

Besides, nobody has yet to answer my question why the event descibed
should bother them.
Old August 12th 19, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 12/08/2019 14:33, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

Yes - the more recent act is the one that deals with careless, dangerous
and/or inconsiderate cycling.

On reflection, there was no point in asking you to acknowledge such
concepts. Your belief is that cyclists must be allowed to do as they please.

This extract is from 1835.

The 1835 Act is the provision for driving (which includes riding) on or
to the left of oncoming traffic. That section is still in force.

Clearly the people that devised the new parking maneouvre in the driving
test haven't read this. Perhaps the rider of this bicycle should be made
to 'forefiet' 40s?

Besides, nobody has yet to answer my question why the event descibed
should bother them.

You didn't read the OP?
Old August 12th 19, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 22:20:52 +0100
TMS320 wrote:

On 09/08/2019 01:29, Simon Jester wrote:
On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 8:33:08 PM UTC+1, GB wrote:

[...]

I agree, you are not very imaginative. I have seen many people like
you making up stories to get some attention. They all have a follow
up story to support it, just like you. Rather sad really.

To be fair, I have seen people riding their bicycle on the wrong side
of the road. Any I have experienced get out of the way. So my
question is - why does anybody need to be bothered about it?

Normally I try to give cyclists half the road - if I'm passing one on
my side I have to go into the other lane, while if he was on the
correct side I wouldn't have to do anything to pass him. Plus if he's
silly enough to ride on the wrong side I have to expect him to do
something dangerous, like swinging a U-turn while answering his phone,
so slow right down.