Interesting heart related observation on today's ride

Old August 20th 19, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Interesting heart related observation on today's ride

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 5:47:45 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair bit of
rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top of the
hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking
around my apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising
compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

No. Never.

Yes, but only after I pass out.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 20th 19, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/19/2019 3:09 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

I've never noticed that, but then I've never used a heart rate monitor.

You can google "exercise induced bradycardia" and find lots of reading
matter.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 20th 19, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 1:52:59 AM UTC+1, Radey Shouman wrote:

It seems possible that the pressure setpoint is somehow set by metabolic
requirements

Blood pressure operates exactly as an engineer would expect. If you open up the blood vessels, say with oxygen intake or (somewhat counterintuitively, with compression clothing which a lot of lycra is), the blood flows faster and the pressure drops.

Old August 20th 19, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/20/2019 7:13 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 1:52:59 AM UTC+1, Radey Shouman wrote:

It seems possible that the pressure setpoint is somehow set by metabolic
requirements

Blood pressure operates exactly as an engineer would expect. If you open up the blood vessels, say with oxygen intake or (somewhat counterintuitively, with compression clothing which a lot of lycra is), the blood flows faster and the pressure drops.

There's also a nitric oxide component to blood vessel
dilation among other factors.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 20th 19, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 00:47:40 +0000 (UTC),
Ralph Barone wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a
fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that
at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER
that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing
around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst
exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

No. Never.

Me neither, and I'm skeptical your HRM was correct.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old August 20th 19, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Ralph Barone wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a
fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that
at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER
that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing
around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst
exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

No. Never.

Me neither, and I'm skeptical your HRM was correct.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA

Or, according to Livestrong it could be:
(https://www.livestrong.com/article/3...ring-exercise/)

" A Drop in Heart Rate During Exercise
Bonnie Singleton

Exercise boosts your blood pressure and heart rate temporarily and is one of the best ways to promote a healthy heart. But if you experience a drop in your heart rate while exercising, it could signify either a minor, temporary problem or a more serious underlying cardiovascular condition. Consult your doctor about any drop in heart rate while exercising.
Man exercising on treadmill at gym
(Image: Comstock/Stockbyte/Getty Images)
Video of the Day
Identification

Your heart rate, or pulse, is the number of times your heart beats per minute and is a way to tell how hard and effectively your heart is working. When your heart expands and contracts, forcing blood through your veins and arteries, you can feel and count those pulses at places like your wrist or neck. If your resting heart rate is between 60 and 90 beats per minute, it's considered normal. Depending upon your age, the maximum heart rate you should experience during exercise can range from 150 to 200. If your heart rate drops too low during rest or exercise, it can lead to lightheadedness, fatigue and fainting, the National Emergency Medicine Association warns.
Causes

One of the most common causes of a drop in your heart rate while exercising is vasovagal, or neurocardiogenic, syncope, when blood vessels expand and blood pools in the lower parts of your body. This is often precipitated by overheating or dehydration, the Mayo Clinic explains. A heart arrhythmia called bradycardia can cause your heart to beat too slowly. This is usually a result of damage to the heart from a previous heart attack or heart disease. Adams-Stokes disease and "sick sinus syndrome" are two other conditions caused by a heart rhythm disorder that makes your heart rate slow down, the American Heart Association adds.
Prevention/Solution

If you have bradycardia or vasovagal syncope, you may not need any treatment unless you experience prolonged or repeated attacks, in which case your doctor may give you medication or implant an artificial pacemaker. If your heart-rate drop is tied to overheating or dehydration, you should make sure to avoid exercising during the hottest parts of the day, dress appropriately and drink plenty of water before, during and after exercise.
Warning

If you find your heart rate is dropping on a regular basis during exercise, you should check with your doctor to determine if you have a heart arrhythmia or heart disease causing the problem. If you feel faint due to a drop in your pulse rate while exercising, the Mayo Clinic recommends that you stop immediately, lie down and lift your legs slightly until you recover, or put your head between your knees."

Cheers
Old August 20th 19, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Ralph Barone wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a
fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that
at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER
that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing
around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst
exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

No. Never.

Me neither, and I'm skeptical your HRM was correct.

I’ve had my HRM lock onto a harmonic of my heart rate if the strap was too
dry (ie: actual heart rate is 75, HRM reads 150). Once I start sweating,
it will usually fix itself, although I may have to pull the strap off my
chest for a second to force it to reset.

Old August 20th 19, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

Ralph Barone wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride
involved a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting
observation was that at the top of the hills my heart rate
was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking around my
apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst
exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

No. Never.

Me neither, and I'm skeptical your HRM was correct.

Or, according to Livestrong it could be:
(https://www.livestrong.com/article/3...ring-exercise/)

Still skeptical. I believe the article is talking about a drop
from typical exercies rates, and not to rates lower than resting.
Frankly, I can't believe a heart rate while exercising could ever
be lower than a resting heart rate (unless maybe it's gone to
zero).

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old August 20th 19, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

Ralph Barone wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved
a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was
that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm
LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just
standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst
exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

No. Never.

Me neither, and I'm skeptical your HRM was correct.

I???ve had my HRM lock onto a harmonic of my heart rate if the
strap was too dry (ie: actual heart rate is 75, HRM reads 150).
Once I start sweating, it will usually fix itself, although I
may have to pull the strap off my chest for a second to force
it to reset.

I've had similar harmonics, but usually resulting from a mild
arrhythmia. Specifically, from time to time I've had occasional
runs of premature atrial contractions, and it shows as an increase
from the low 150s to 227 or thereabouts (the max the unit can
register, I think).

Seeing a rate *lower* than resting wouldn't be a harmonic, but
maybe there are beats being missed by the unit and it's reading
low as a result?

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old August 20th 19, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 19/08/2019 4:11 p.m., Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 3:53:32 PM UTC-4, duane wrote:
On 19/08/2019 3:09 p.m., Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

What are you using to measure your heart rate? If it's a smart watch,
you need to pay attention to the angle of your wrist. I use a watch
like that generally but not specific to cycling. So I tend to leave it
on when riding.

To track my cycling heart rate I use a chest strap. I know that the
watch is not very accurate with my wrists bent in cycling position.

Chest band heart rate monitor with a watch receiver.

Cheers

Then I can't explain it. I've never had this happen to me.