Is Shimano chain quality dropping?

Old August 15th 19, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Is Shimano chain quality dropping?

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 10:31:49 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
wrote:

I suppose that being Hyperglide chains, Shimano only intends for them to be
used with 6/7/8 speed Hyperglide sprockets. I guess Hyperglide's ramps
take over the role of protruding pins snagging adjacent sprockets when
shifting.

In practice, I find that 8-speed compatible modern chains usually shift better on ancient freewheels than old style chains did. Whether that's due to increased lateral flexibility or beveled sideplates or both, I don't know.

My daily rider these days uses a Z72 8 speed chain, a Suntour 14-38 5 speed freewheel, a Microshift 9 speed rear derailleur, and Shimano 6 speed index thumbshifter. It all works fine together, which is more than you can say for a lot of newly produced stuff.

I will second that. I just put a 9 speed chain on a 6 speed with Shimano hyperdrive freewheel and it operated pretty good. Also the older heavier chains virtually lock solid with dirt whereas the newer chains just get harder to pedal.
Old August 15th 19, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

?On the two old bikes I just overhauled you had to shift them sharply. If you dragged it into the next gear it wouldn't shift for several revolutions.
Old August 15th 19, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/15/2019 3:22 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
?On the two old bikes I just overhauled you had to shift them sharply. If you dragged it into the next gear it wouldn't shift for several revolutions.

Well, perhaps it's a skill or at least a habit. I've been riding these
bikes for decades, so I'm familiar with how they shift.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 16th 19, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
incredulous

Tom Kunich
Chains just don’t vary much in weight.
They do vary in length before trimming.
You DO trim your chain of excess links, don’t you?

Harry Travis
PDX, OR USA
Old August 16th 19, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
incredulous

I should have written ‘don’t vary much in weight per link. A chain that seems heavier likely has more links out of the box than the one it replaces.’
Old August 17th 19, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 12:56:22 PM UTC-7, incredulous wrote:
Tom Kunich
Chains just don’t vary much in weight.
They do vary in length before trimming.
You DO trim your chain of excess links, don’t you?

Harry Travis
PDX, OR USA

Yes, there isn't much difference in chain weights unless you are an extreme weight weenie. Wipperman seems to have the cheapest really high quality chains.
Old August 31st 19, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Don Gillies[_2_]

From 5-speed through 9-speed, the *outsides* of the chains got skinnier and the cogs got closer together. The *insides* of the chain (and the freewheel teeth dimensions) essentially stayed the same width. My source is Sheldon Brown's online tables; it's a useful fact to know.

Then starting with 10 speed, the teeth got more narrow. Anyway, that means for an N-speed start with 5-speed, you can use an N-speed, N+1-speed, N+2-speed, etc. chain, as long as N+K = 9.

- Don Gillies
Palo Alto, CA, USA

On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 12:49:21 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 11:33:57 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 8/11/2019 11:00 AM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you:

https://www.amazon.com/Ventura-Speed.../dp/B00ZHYFMXY

While I'm sure your shop has a supply of 5 and 6 speed freewheels, the
shops around here are not stocking parts for bicycles that are no longer
often coming in for repairs. They would offer to order it from QBP and
it would arrive in 1-2 weeks. They would also try to sell you a 7/8
speed narrow chain with assurances that it would work fine even though,
as you said, "shifting suffers."

With all the complaints from some LBS owners about people shopping
online, the reality is that it's often because the LBS simply can't
stock all the esoteric parts and accessories that could sit on the shelf
for years before someone bought them.

I ordered a SRAM 10.5mm x 26 tpi axle nut from you after trying a bunch
of local shops, most of which didn't know what the heck I was talking
about. Nor did most shops know that a 13/32" x 26TPI Sturmey-Archer nut
would work satisfactorily.

The only difference between the 5-6 and the 7-8 and 9 speed chains is the distance that the rivets stick out if memory serves. Also they are far more flexible since high-high and low-low are so wide apart.

Old August 31st 19, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Don Gillies[_2_]

Oh this is major-cool; I had a stock of NOS suntour 13-26 winners but they were ultra-6 speeds. I don't think that ANYONE has ever offered a 13-26 7-speed freewheel, stock.

- Don Gillies
Palo Alto, CA, USA

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 6:53:49 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.interlocracing.com/casset...eels-567-speed

As of last Friday, there are very exciting new IRD sizes,
including 26t low gear, none of which have been made in any
brand freewheel anywhere on earth for over twenty years.

Installing rear wheel without dropping chain Joe Riel Techniques 18 January 6th 16 08:45 PM
Issue with Shimano 10 Speed chain dropping [email protected] Techniques 6 June 21st 06 01:35 PM
Sora chain ring "dropping off" going from large to small ring? Yuri Budilov Techniques 18 September 7th 04 03:14 PM
Variable quality Shimano MartinM UK 21 March 1st 04 12:31 PM
USPS dropping Trek and Shimano! anonymous Racing 39 January 3rd 04 12:12 AM