Can not get bike to shift gears properly

Old August 14th 19, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Can not get bike to shift gears properly

On 8/13/2019 7:51 PM, Chalo wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

Plastic casing caps? Never!

Damned things cause more trouble than they cure.
We like plated brass casing caps.

Agreed. Also, I've almost succeeded in expunging thin "brake" housing ferrules from the shop where I work. They're specified for brakes, because long lay shift cable housing strands can push their way through the thin soft metal. Problem is, Bowden cable coils can also push their way through if the housing stop isn't adequately supportive.

So it's all brass "SIS" type 5mm ferrules and aluminum 4mm ferrules for me.

The aluminum ones I've tried fit on Shimano and most quality
aftermarket casing but they are too tight to be useful on
Campagnolo casing.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 14th 19, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Chalo wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

Plastic casing caps? Never!

Damned things cause more trouble than they cure.
We like plated brass casing caps.

Agreed. Also, I've almost succeeded in expunging thin "brake" housing
ferrules from the shop where I work. They're specified for brakes,
because long lay shift cable housing strands can push their way through
the thin soft metal. Problem is, Bowden cable coils can also push their
way through if the housing stop isn't adequately supportive.

So it's all brass "SIS" type 5mm ferrules and aluminum 4mm ferrules for me.

I’ve taken to tapping the end of the ferrule with a small hammer after
installing it on the end of the housing, to “pre-seat” the ferrule. I have
no idea whether it works, but I haven’t been mauled by a mountain lion
since I’ve done it.

Old August 14th 19, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

AMuzi wrote:

The aluminum ones I've tried fit on Shimano and most quality

aftermarket casing
but they are too tight to be useful on Campagnolo casing.

I don't like 4mm shift housing anyway. It bursts too easily and fails at a younger age than 5mm shift housing.

I go to lengths to conserve 4mm Bowden type coil housing (from various Sturmey Archer kits), for use on Chicago Schwinn frames that only accommodate skinny housing without ferrules.
Old August 14th 19, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 8:52:00 PM UTC-4, Chalo wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

Plastic casing caps? Never!

Damned things cause more trouble than they cure.
We like plated brass casing caps.

Agreed. Also, I've almost succeeded in expunging thin "brake" housing ferrules from the shop where I work. They're specified for brakes, because long lay shift cable housing strands can push their way through the thin soft metal. Problem is, Bowden cable coils can also push their way through if the housing stop isn't adequately supportive.

So it's all brass "SIS" type 5mm ferrules and aluminum 4mm ferrules for me.

I ALWAYS pull really hard on the brake lever immediately after installing a new brake cable or brake cable housing. I figure it's better to have something happen whilst the bike is still on the stand than it is when the bike is being ridden. I still remember the instance when I pulled hard on a brake lever to make sure the housing was fully seated and when I pulled hard on the lever the housing pulled right trough the metal ferrule. I installed another metal ferrule and had t he same thing happen. Fortunately I had a couple of other older ferrules I was able to use. I also phoned the shop and told them so that they could check and see if they had got a bad batch of brake cable ferrules. I've also had good luck getting a tight fitting ferule onto a cable housing by removing the ferrule and then heating it up and slipping it onto the housing.

Cheers
Old August 14th 19, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

So you follow normal good mechanical procedure and think that deserves mentioning?
Old August 14th 19, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Certainly. Some people do this and some do that. Sir, for example
probably combs his hair in the morning....
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 14th 19, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Damn, Tom, calm down! Sir just posted good information. You don't have
to snark at absolutely everything anyone says!

Go for a ride!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 14th 19, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

+1. Good mechanical procedure is frequently not obvious to use
untutored brutes. Well worth mentioning.
Old August 14th 19, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

My local bike shop used a gauge to measure my chain stretch. It showed it needed replacing. One is on order. He is also looking for an adapter so the bike can be outfitted with a higher quality derailler. He replaces his chain 5 times a year. My bike is about 18 months old and has the original chain..

Andy
Old August 14th 19, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

YES! Because many people who install new cables and housings do NOT pull hard on the levers in order to seat them fully or test them for weakness before riding the bike.

Cheers