Bike rack

Old February 6th 05, 09:10 AM

Default Bike rack

A bike rack is placed in most public and private buidling.
The question is do I need to lock up my bike at bike rack.
I thought I should never bother with bike rack cuz I don't
see any reason to park my bike in a designated place like bike
rack. Why should I when I can lock up my bike in just
about anywhere such as at tree or in any metal bar stand.
For example, in Walmart, the bike rack is placed in bit
far away from the main entrance door. why should I walk all the
way to that bike rack when I can place my bike right next
to the main entrance door. Nobody is going to steal my old bike.
Nobody care when my boke is lock up in right next to the entrance.
Incrediblely, Walmark bike rack is big one but not many bike
lock up. Another thing I simply do not like to park my bike
at any designated bike rack stand. No deal deal if I don't.
Bike is small object does not take hugh space unlike car.
Therefore, bike rack is simply unnecessarily in my bike life. In place
like America where the space is so big and so open, who needs to park
at the designated bike rack stand. To me, bike
rack is totallly unnecessarily and it's matter of free or to be
slave. Today I park my bike in anywhere in any space cuz I'm free man.

Old February 6th 05, 09:56 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

The rack is there to keep your bike out of the way of people entering
and exiting the store. Call it ghettoization if you want, the racks are
usually a lot closer than the parking spots. It's also usually a
nominally secure foundation for locking up your bike. The same can not
always be said for other attractive bike lock points.

Leaving a bike unlocked is your call. I've been known to do it myself,
but only rarely, and only when I can see the bike at all times, or at
places like bike races, which normally feature wildly exotic bikes left
lying around all over the place. My feeling is that any unattended and
unlocked bike, short of something like Sheldon Brown's demented
super-sized 1954 Rudge fixie, will probably be stolen eventually. You
can get lucky for a while, but it would probably get taken as an act of
bored vandalism barring any other motive.

In such circumstances, I frequently carry an undersized lock, a cheap
cable lock the thickness of my pinky finger. It keeps honest people
honest.

You know your neighbourhood best, and you know your tolerance for losing
your bike best. As a test for a while, I left a cheap frame pump on my
bike when I locked it up at work. It lasted about three months. At that
location, I use a fairly substantial braided cable and leave the lock on
the rack all the time. It just replaced an even tougher linked-roller
motorcycle-grade "cable", but that unit had a cylindrical lock that
would be vulnerable to the well-publicized pen attack.

I sometimes take my bike inside a shop if I've forgotten my lock, but
this is generally obnoxious: bikes are big things, they like to fall
over, and they can be pretty greasy. In terms of obnoxiousness, I liken
bringing a bicycle into a store with bringing a large dog into a sto
it can be done if managment is indulgent, but there is a duty of
extraordinary care and control incumbent on the handler.

--
Ryan Cousineau,
http://www.wiredcola.com
Old February 9th 05, 01:25 AM
Pat

: Now I am laughing at this thread. How can anyone murder the English
: language so completely that it makes no sense frome either side of the
pond?
:
: Bill Baka (almost ROTFL)

It's "Red Cloud" under a new persona, Bill. And the other guy was making fun
of Red Cloud's attempt to mask his ability to read/write English. Red Cloud
is a troll who has been around here off and on for ages. Tiresome, really,
with his anti-American rants.

Pat in TX

Old February 9th 05, 01:41 AM
b_baka

Pat wrote:
: Now I am laughing at this thread. How can anyone murder the English
: language so completely that it makes no sense frome either side of the
pond?
:
: Bill Baka (almost ROTFL)

It's "Red Cloud" under a new persona, Bill. And the other guy was making fun
of Red Cloud's attempt to mask his ability to read/write English. Red Cloud
is a troll who has been around here off and on for ages. Tiresome, really,
with his anti-American rants.

Pat in TX

Probably true. I just wish I had better filters or the ambition to write
my own module for my mail reader. Who really wants to get a cross post
to/from NASCAR or Red Cloud.
Background noise.
Bill Baka

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 03:10 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 11:28 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 09:44 PM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM