New Year pedolutionists

Old January 6th 06, 04:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default New Year pedolutionists

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 13:31:05 +1000, Tamyka Bell wrote:

I suppose if I ever bought a carbon latte racer, I'd have a chance of
finding out. But I wouldn't be taking it offroad.

What is it about lattes? I'll have to take note of who orders them after
rides, and see whether there are any common character traits.

Old January 6th 06, 04:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message ...

I suppose if I ever bought a carbon latte racer, I'd have a chance of
finding out. But I wouldn't be taking it offroad.

Why not?

http://singlespeed.smugmug.com/photos/36788449-M.jpg

OK, so it's not really a road bike and the frame is aluminium - the forks are carbon.

Parbs

Old January 6th 06, 04:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Michael Warner" wrote in message ...

What is it about lattes? I'll have to take note of who orders them after
rides, and see whether there are any common character traits.

I'll have a flat white thanks with one sugar or a Coopers Sparkling Ale

Parbs

Old January 6th 06, 04:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Parbs wrote:

"Michael Warner" wrote in message ...

What is it about lattes? I'll have to take note of who orders them after
rides, and see whether there are any common character traits.

I'll have a flat white thanks with one sugar or a Coopers Sparkling Ale

Parbs

While you're at it, can you get me a flat white or a pint of Guinness?

Tam
Old January 6th 06, 06:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Michael Warner" wrote in message
On 6 Jan 2006 02:12:02 GMT, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

percentage wise, they are negligibly wider than roadbikes as far as
your average car is concerned.

What is the relevance of the width of a car? The point is that I have
to give them a significantly wider berth than road bikes.

My off-road MTB has bars that are 64 cms wide, as opposed to the average
road bar at around 40 cms (they should be abbout the width of your
shoulders) so there's 24 cms difference. But wait, it's only the right side
of the bar that matters when passing, so it's 12 cms wider that you are
forced to ride.

So because of a 12 cm passing difficulty you're proposing to relegate all
MTB riders to a lesser road system.?

Stop being a pompous arse!

Peter

Old January 6th 06, 06:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message
Peter Signorini wrote:
"Zebee Johnstone" wrote:

Clipless pedals aren't needed to ride a pushbike. Hell, tying your
feet to the bike isn't needed.

Not needed, but if you ride a lot, for longish distances, climb hills
or ride a MTB on forest tracks, they do make your riding an awful lot
better. Your choice, ignore those with experience if you like.

Sounds like an argument for having a 4WD.

Yep, interesting concept. But my clipless pedals dont chew up megalitres of
fossil fuels. Using that argument maybe you should throw away the chain and

Cheers
Peter

Old January 6th 06, 08:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Michael Warner writes:

In principle it's great to see people out riding on the work. In practice,
though, I wish the ones on mountain bikes - nearly everyone I pass - would
either pick another road (than the one I happen to be using!) or ride them
in the mountains they were designed for.

It's not the bike, it's the rider. Granted a mountain bike isn't the
ideal tool for the job in most occasions but there's nothing wrong with
them being on the road.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old January 6th 06, 08:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Michael Warner writes:

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 23:04:52 GMT, daveL wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what this comment is getting at though.

Ok, I'll spell it out - the problem is that MTBs are slow and wide,
and trying to pass them safely is often a bit of a worry in busy traffic.

Then exercise some god-dammed common courtesy and wait. You have no
right to go faster than the person in front of you.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old January 6th 06, 09:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 09:51:56 +1100, DaveB wrote:

Hmmm, well I use them on the commuter and the SS. On the commuter because
I don't trust my ability to unclip quick enough in CBD traffic,

Obviously this is a personal thing, but I can get out of a clipless pedal
way quicker than I can get out of a properly tight toe strap. And if the
toe strap is loose I find I might as well just ride a decent flat pedal.

Still, if you're happy with the way you've got your bikes set up, keep
riding them that way.

--
Dave Hughes |
"The wages of sin is death, but so's the salary of virtue, and at least

Old January 6th 06, 09:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 02:46:22 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Who doesn't start from "look you lower life form, learn How We Do It or
sell the thing"

Why is that we have to be nice to get people riding bikes, but no matter
how much we try the above approach weirdos crawl out of the woodwork on
Usenet?

LeJog year Brian G UK 0 October 2nd 05 01:12 PM
Have your hurricane in a swing state in an election year 41 Techniques 81 September 10th 05 04:03 PM
One year on LSMike UK 9 July 5th 05 05:52 PM
Want to know what year... anything will help bear General 1 November 29th 04 11:15 PM
One year ago today - progress calendar fattyjules Unicycling 5 June 1st 04 05:04 AM