Biker Killed by Mountain Lion

Old March 4th 04, 12:35 AM
GeoB

Default Biker Killed by Mountain Lion

The answer to supporting a graying population is not to import
zillions of impoverished people from third world countries.

IMN-S-HO, the issue here isn't money. It is labor.. people. Our
retirees will be competing with each other for a scarce resource, that
is, labor for things we can't do. Nurses? To the highest bidder. A
store with competent help? Higher prices to be able to afford to lure
them there. Hospitals? Better you should die young. Suppose I have
fallen and can't get up. I will be willing to pay lots more for
somebody to come to my home than the other fella with my level of
income who merely needs his lunch cooked, and his shots given.
Without labor nothing works. With imported labor you turn your
country over to the imports. Eventually. Ask S. Africa. Where there
is demand, there will be supply.

If you are dependent on someone, really dependent, like a nurse or
something, and they mistreat you or neglect you... what do you do?
You suck it up cuz you have no choice.

And a step further, what will our money represent when we as a nation
are trying to live off a retirement income? Money itself is worthless
and unsanitary. Money is only useful as a 'promise to pay'. But as a
nation of needy retirees, what tangibles do we have to pay WITH? Our
country. Our Yellowstone, and our farms and factories. When the
world is no longer interested in buying our 'stuff', then they will
take their dollars and buy the USA. There was quite a while when in
Montana and Wyoming ranch country the cowboy you would see riding the
range was a college graduate son of a wealthy Japanese businessman.
Correct me if I'm wrong, you folks in those regions, I only read that.
They bought our MEANS of production, since they didn't need our
gadgets anymore. They have been buying our brilliant young
scientists, engineers, software writers, etc. Our California
affluence of the 70's and 80's was fueled by the innovations of our
smartest minds. They were there (the Bay area) for the best
universities doing micro-electronic research.

That's what a trade imbalance will do over time.
Old March 4th 04, 03:26 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

...but I assure you that in English the names of countries and their languages are
always capitalized....

Including France.

Old March 4th 04, 03:31 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

... By the way, what does "skrev" mean?...

Observe the context in which it is used and what English word it is
similar to.

Old March 4th 04, 10:27 AM
Edward Dolan

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

... By the way, what does "skrev" mean?...

Observe the context in which it is used and what English word it is
similar to.

The context is a no brainer. I am assuming it means "wrote" or "has
written". The only English word that comes to mind that is even close
would be inscribed. But is this common usage. Why not just write
"wrote"?

Here is another possiblity:

Main Entry: scrieve
Pronunciation: 'skrEv
Function: intransitive verb
Etymology: of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse skrefa to stride
Scottish : to move along swiftly and smoothly

Merriam-Webster

Since Mikael is Danish. But still it does not seem to fit very well.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Old March 4th 04, 10:50 AM
Edward Dolan

(GeoB) wrote in message . com...

The answer to supporting a graying population is not to import
zillions of impoverished people from third world countries.

IMN-S-HO, the issue here isn't money. It is labor.. people. Our
retirees will be competing with each other for a scarce resource, that
is, labor for things we can't do. Nurses? To the highest bidder. A
store with competent help? Higher prices to be able to afford to lure
them there. Hospitals? Better you should die young. Suppose I have
fallen and can't get up. I will be willing to pay lots more for
somebody to come to my home than the other fella with my level of
income who merely needs his lunch cooked, and his shots given.
Without labor nothing works. With imported labor you turn your
country over to the imports. Eventually. Ask S. Africa. Where there
is demand, there will be supply.

I think there is enough labor in this country but it has to be better
to work at a job then to sit back and take welfare. I have done lots
of manual labor in my life for low pay and it didn't kill me although
I didn't enjoy it. To import cheap labor from abroad is not a good
solution for what ails a country. The example of South Africa should
be, like you say, a lesson to us all.

If you are dependent on someone, really dependent, like a nurse or
something, and they mistreat you or neglect you... what do you do?
You suck it up cuz you have no choice.

Here is the best argument for family that I have yet heard. The state
can only do so much. When the chips are down, you had better have a
family that you can depend upon.

[...]

Education is the answer to not having your country taken over by
foreigners. We have to be smarter and more productive than they.
Without education we will fail. Older people can actually be quite a
good thing for a nation provided they aren't all sick and dying. Older
people represent knowledge and wisdom. A nation of the predominately
young is no more desirable than a nation of the predominately old.

That's what a trade imbalance will do over time.

We should be able to turn around any trade imbalance by wise trade
policies. I am not opposed to some degree of protectionism if and when
it is truly needed.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Old March 4th 04, 10:57 PM
Freewheeling

Mikael:

Well, I read Faust in German when I was in HS but would hardly call it a
"second language" nowadays.

--
--Scott
"Mikael Seierup" wrote in message

"Freewheeling" skrev

Learn a second language.

Well here that would be learn a fourth language as english and german
is mandatory. Or at least was when I was in school.
If you take highschool too it will be a fifth language. ;-)
We could chose between french, spanish and russian in mine.

Just nitpicking a bit.

Cheers
Mikael, Denmark

Old March 5th 04, 01:46 AM
William Higley, Sr.

I would tend to think along the lines of "Bartleby the Scrivener". It seems
to fit in with Mr. Dolan's concept.

William "the bottom feeding top poster" Higley, Sr.
Vision R-50
RANS Rocket

om...

Old March 5th 04, 02:31 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

Here is the best argument for family that I have yet heard. The state
can only do so much....

Or only will do so much. The United States is the worst first world
country to be in if you are unable to work or take care of yourself due
to disability and are not independently wealthy.

I will never forgive Reagan for his policy of cutting funding for
inpatient mental health care and dumping many people who were unable to
take care of themselves on the streets. Having homeless mentally ill
people is something everyone in the US should be greatly ashamed of.

"It is a reproach to religion and government to suffer so much poverty
and excess." — William Penn, Some Fruits of Solitude

Old March 5th 04, 09:20 AM
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

Here is the best argument for family that I have yet heard. The state
can only do so much....

Or only will do so much. The United States is the worst first world
country to be in if you are unable to work or take care of yourself due
to disability and are not independently wealthy.

I have a friend who was recently injured in an accident at work. He is
now getting very good compensation from the state (workmen's
compensation). It extends until he can get back to work. It seems very
fair and reasonable to me.

I will never forgive Reagan for his policy of cutting funding for
inpatient mental health care and dumping many people who were unable to
take care of themselves on the streets. Having homeless mentally ill
people is something everyone in the US should be greatly ashamed of.

I think it was mainly the liberals who wanted to close all the mental
hospitals and get the mentally ill incorporated into the community. It
is my understanding that most of the homeless who are making a mess on
our city streets are the mentally ill. They should be in hospitals of
course and not on the streets making a nuisance of themselves. I don't
believe in civil liberties if you are mentally incapacitated.

"It is a reproach to religion and government to suffer so much poverty
and excess." ? William Penn, Some Fruits of Solitude

There are no perfect societies with respect to equalizing incomes
anywhere in the world. The best that we can hope for is not to have
people starving to death in the streets. Read the history of India for
some enlightenment on this subject. The religions there evolved to
justify people starving in the streets (Hinduism especially). That is
what made it possible for those not starving to death to totally
ignore those who were starving to death - all in plain sight!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota