TdF rain tires ?

Old September 29th 11, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Default TdF rain tires ?

On Sep 28, 10:22*am, AMuzi wrote:
John B. wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:03:01 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

thirty-six considered Mon, 26 Sep 2011
21:46:05 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

On Sep 27, 2:49 am, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:01:06 -0700 (PDT), thirty-six

wrote:
On Sep 26, 2:30 pm, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 17:46:39 -0700 (PDT), thirty-six
wrote:
On Sep 26, 12:50 am, john B. wrote:
On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:31:49 -0700 (PDT), thirty-six
wrote:
On Sep 25, 3:36 pm, Phil W Lee wrote:
thirty-six considered Sun, 25 Sep 2011
03:13:16 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:
On Sep 24, 3:10 am, Phil W Lee wrote:
thirty-six considered Fri, 23 Sep 2011
It was Phil Lee again! * Apparently the service conditions of an
aeroplane tyre and an F1 car are dentical to a bicycle tyre in his
eyes.
Why do you think that water will behave differently if squeezed from
under one piece of rubber than another?
Maybe you think you've discovered the neutrino of tyre technology!
Both F1 and airliner tyres have massive wear rates compared to bicyle
tyres. *Their tread life is measured in minutes rather than thousands
of miles. *It is not viable to use a 3-dimensional pattern on these
high wear rate tyres as it is on a bicyle racing tyre. *I've not got
HDTV, so probably wont see, but I wouldn't be surprised if a tyre
company for F1 started using the fine tread pattern as used on a
bicycle racing tyre as part of the pattern. *It might just prevent
drivers spinning off in the first lap of a wet start.
I think it's more to do with the fact that the purchasers of F1 and
aircraft tyres are technically competent, and aren't impressed by
cosmetic patterns added for marketing reasons.
You must be have =been watching the GP on a 12" TV, *there were cobs
of rubber all over the circuit today.
So? If you actually visited an airport runway or drag race track, or
even a busy highway, you would find essentially the same thing.
Strangely enough an abrasive surface tends to wear rubber off the
tires that run on it.
Both Airports used by jet aircraft and drag tracks actually require
"de-rubberizing" at relatively frequent intervals.
What else is news?
I've not seen it on a bicycle racing circuit, even a 0.7 mile
criterium circuit with a hard corner where cyclists *have to get
banked well over to get around at speed. *I don't understand why you
persist in comparing F1 and aircraft tyres to bicycle tyres, other
than as filler for a false argument. *There are clear differences
between the three applications. *Load and power dissipation affect
wear rate, there's no comparison.
I wasn't comparing bicycle tires to anything. I was respond to a
statement that you made. As above: "You must be have =been watching
--
John B.
fighter jets have NO similarities in their tyre makeup as bicycles

--
John B.
I can't *believe you asked that. * *The aeroplane tyres have to

Passengers.
Ayup, the FAA recently raised the "average weight" for passengers,
used to calculate aircraft loads, by something like 10 lbs. as the
U.S. population is getting fatter.

10? *TEN? *really?

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/

MAYBE FOLKS IN WISCONSIN stopped eating for booze ? Out here in the
GREAT NORTH WEST non-athletics a blubber blubber blubber....like
blubber kids are everwhere !
Old October 1st 11, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

The slick-is-best-in-wet argument may not be valid. Consistent wet
pavement may not prove an issue for a smooth-treaded tire, but there
is
apparently an advantage to creating some tread "squirm" when riding
on
uneven surfaces such as tar stripes. After trying such tires, I'm
convinced. They suck the life out of you (feel kinda dead) but the
difference blew me away. My real-life testing took place at the top
of a
local climb (Old LaHonda) that is notorious when damp for massive
rear
wheel slippage on its tar stripes. With the all-weather tires, there
was
none. This led to an extensive conversation with its tire engineer,
who
spoke about all sorts of things that sounded reasonable but were not
things I could relate to.

I'd like to hear what the tire engineer said.

I wonder how special your tar strip experience was, and whether the
benefits you observed would appear with other surfaces. Tar can be
very soft, and I suppose there's a possibility of it deforming and
grabbing the edges of the tire tread, kind of like gear teeth meshing.
But other road surface materials (even smooth paint) are harder and
won't allow that.

I remember spinning the rear tire of our tandem while climbing on a
steep (maybe 15%?) wet road. There was no tar involved, and the tire
wasn't a slick, it did have at least some tread tread pattern. This
was with a male friend in the stoker seat, a guy who was both heavier
and more powerful than my wife, who usually rides there.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not so sure the issue is with the time you're actually on the tar
stripe; I think it's the transition that causes the problem.

Also, it wasn't just one "experience" that convinced me these tires
work. I ride extensively in the rain during the winter (not that it
rains all that much here, but we have a regularly-scheduled ride that
takes place no-matter-what so we do get in a few epic road rides each
yera) and the wet-weather traction those tires offer is on an
entirely-different level than anything else I've tried. Too bad they
feel like you're riding through mud. Really sap your energy.

Aside from these tires being so much better than others I've tried, the
best advice for riding in the wet is to use the widest-tire possible.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old October 1st 11, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

[...]

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com- Hide quoted text -

awww willya use a SUBJECT ! WHAT TIRES ?
Old October 1st 11, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

[...]

Bontrager Race "All-Weather"

Old October 1st 11, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

[...]

are rain Bontrager's durable on dry surfaces or useable as a touring
tire compound ?

Florida has a rainy season where a touring rain compound is use able
for commuring, Portland, Seattle...NYC.

Rain! Marc[_2_] UK 2 June 26th 09 10:01 AM
Rain Man BtC Australia 3 June 2nd 08 06:48 AM
Tires for rain Slugger Recumbent Biking 4 August 2nd 05 10:01 PM
Looks like Rain Maggie General 16 May 1st 05 07:26 AM
relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires Anonymous Techniques 46 April 7th 04 07:03 PM